Castrol Edge vs Edge EP

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
About $2 to $4.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
About $2 to $4.

Well if you read their website they sound like the exact same oil other than drain interval. What I can find in MSDS isn't super helpful for comparison.

The following reads exactly the same on regular Edge and EP which makes it sound like the primary difference is simply additional additives targeted at longer drains.

Improves oil film strength by 30% and reduces power-robbing friction
Ten times stronger against high temperature oil thickening to unlock maximum performance*
Six times stronger against wear vs the industry benchmark**
Improves fuel economy (0W grades)

CASTROL EDGE IS 3X STRONGER THAN THE LEADING FULL SYNTHETIC AGAINST VISCOSITY BREAKDOWN***

I'm simply trying to figure out if EP has any advantage at lower drain intervals.

Originally Posted by Gene K

CASTROL EDGE IS 3X STRONGER THAN THE LEADING FULL SYNTHETIC AGAINST VISCOSITY BREAKDOWN***

I'm simply trying to figure out if EP has any advantage at lower drain intervals.

I would only buy the EP if I was going beyond a 9 or 10K OCI....the black bottle should be fine at those intervals...

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Isn't the gold bottle the one that has been fine filtered to remove even smaller contaminants?

The one that is micro-filtered is the Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20, the one that meets the VW 508 & 509 spec.

Back