Castrol Edge PIck-Up

I was looking around the Castrol Site and found something new (to me) in the MDS.

Castrol Edge PIck-Up 5W-30 SP / GF6A
100C - 10.0 cSt
HTHS - 3.04
NOACK - 10.1
Flash Point - 231C

Interesting it's got essentially the same NOACK (10.1 vs 10.0) despite being thinner at 100C. Also the same HTHS as Edge. Flashpoint is higher compared to traditional Edge or Edge EP.

Looks kind of interesting despite my usual aversion to "truck oil marketing".

Last edited:
I find it interesting that this oil is only sold by one regional vendor. Anyway, thanks for bringing this oil to our attention, Gene.

Thank goodness! If Rotella Gas Truck goes away, what else could I possibly use in my 99 S10?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Thank goodness! If Rotella Gas Truck goes away, what else could I possibly use in my 99 S10?
grin2.gif

My 4.3 high output 99' S10 ran best with 5w30 Valvoline Maxlife Synblend and Shell 89-93 octane gas.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
I find it interesting that this oil is only sold by one regional vendor. Anyway, thanks for bringing this oil to our attention, Gene.

Especially with SP GF6A D1G2 MS6395 WSS-M2C961-A1. Doesn't appear to be worth it for one vendor. I haven't seen the new regular Edge or Edge EP SP GF6A MDS yet, maybe it's just a relabel.

Maybe Castrol is using Florida as a test market.
On YouTube their is a mechanic (not Scotty Kilmer) who ran the Shell Rotella Truck & SUV oil in a Ford Edge with the 3.5. He ran it for 250 meter hours which I believe he stated was close to 8k-10k. Sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs. Blackstone stated the oil still could have ran for another 2k-4K miles.
I am going by memory since I normally don’t view that channel much. I apologize if any of the numbers I quoted were wrong, but I am pretty sure they are close.
The YouTube channel is MACTFORDEDGE.

Last edited:
Thanks, but no, thanks. I'll take Rotella Gas Truck or Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle any day of the week over this Castrol Soup. I am a Castrol fanboy, however, this oil looks like every other ordinary oil that one would put in their Honda Civic or Hyundai Sonata, meaning that it's not really meant for abuse. Looking at how thin it is, I guess it's probably their EP line, rebranded.

Castrol obviously didn't think this one through before bringing it to market. Nothing about the quality of the oil to lure you to it but maybe the name would do so?

Back