Castrol Edge EP or Mobil 1 EP

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm curious as to what the experts here feel is the better oil for my circumstance: 2011 Camry 4cyl, mostly short trip driving with once or twice a year a long highway trip. Using 0w-20 or 5w-30.

I recognize that some may feel these oils are overkill for my wimpy 4-banger, but they make me feel good and I believe that my engine is getting some "extra" protection. I've thought about the Costco/Super Tech oils, and they'd probably be good enough, but I just can't find it in my OCD heart to move in that direction at this time. Just being candid.

So, what are your thoughts and, if you're feeling particularly expansive, why do you feel the way you do.

I'm curious as to what the experts here feel is the better oil for my circumstance: 2011 Camry 4cyl, mostly short trip driving with once or twice a year a long highway trip. Using 0w-20 or 5w-30.

I recognize that some may feel these oils are overkill for my wimpy 4-banger, but they make me feel good and I believe that my engine is getting some "extra" protection. I've thought about the Costco/Super Tech oils, and they'd probably be good enough, but I just can't find it in my OCD heart to move in that direction at this time. Just being candid.

So, what are your thoughts and, if you're feeling particularly expansive, why do you feel the way you do.
In my opinion, no oil is ever too good for your car. We spend a lot of money on our cars and depend on them to take care of us. I always use the best "over the counter" oils and never use generics aka store brands, although they may suffice. And I'm still and will always be a 3/3K guy.

I'd go with the 5W30.

Keep on keeping on Shel!

In my opinion, no oil is ever too good for your car. We spend a lot of money on our cars and depend on them to take care of us. I always use the best "over the counter" oils and never use generics aka store brands, although they may suffice. And I'm still and will always be a 3/3K guy.

I'd go with the 5W30.

Keep on keeping on Shel!

I feel similarly. Even in my business, I subscribed to the idea that "good enough is not good enough," and so I'd invest the time/$$$ for small, and sometimes not so small, improvements.

I'd probably use the Mobil1 0w20 over Castrol EP, the SDS for the 0w20 M1EP indicates that it has a lot of PAO whereas the Castrol seems to be all hydrocracked, also Castrol is owned by BP whom I personally hate more than Exxon-Mobil.

I personally would go with Mobil 1. Why? I support our trade partners south of the border plus M1 has more partnerships with more manufacturers (Mercedes AMG and Nissan (for the GTR) to name a few, mind you those are based on their 0w40 based oils if i recall correctly.

But anywho, I do not like BP (owner of Castrol) and going back, Castrol were the cheapos with their "synthetic" labelling fiasco. Are they both good oils? Of course they are and they will do the job you prefer. It comes down to which oil is on sale more often and other subjective criteria which you may have. You can sleep comfortably using either.

I would recommend any synthetic oil that's cheap and meets the SN plus rating. Right now Amazon Basic is the best one out there for quality and price. Under 20 bucks for 5 quarts. I'm not picky when it comes to oil as long as it's a full synthetic.

Mobil 1 EP 5W-30. Before I switched to 0W-40 oils, I always had good luck with Mobil1 EP. I tried both Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30 and neither are great, but rather your average thin oils with pretty average detergents and dispersants. Rotella Gas Truck is also an excellent choice.

I would recommend any synthetic oil that's cheap and meets the SN plus rating. Right now Amazon Basic is the best one out there for quality and price. Under 20 bucks for 5 quarts. I'm not picky when it comes to oil as long as it's a full synthetic.

Right now, this minute, Amazon Basics is $23.00 for a 5-qt jug, Edge EP is $24.48 and M1 is $24.37. Close enough to your Amazon price to mean almost nothing when amortized over the course of an OCI.

As noted in my original post, I've thought about the Costco/Super Tech oils [and that, I suppose, includes Amazon Basics], and they'd probably be good enough, but I just can't find it in my OCD heart to move in that direction at this time. If the cost were a greater concern for me, I'd drive down to Costco and pick up TWO 5-quart jugs for $26.00. Have you considered the Kirkland full syn oil, especially at the current price?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

There's also a $12 rebate on Mobil1 EP right now, although Amazon is excluded from the rebate, Walmart would probably be the cheapest place to order it from.

I second this. QSUD is an excellent oil. Lots of moly.
Yes, QSUD is a great oil. I switched to it recently from Castrol 5W-30 C3. The engine is lot more quieter. On Castrol it sounded like TDI.
The average mileage also went up by almost 3MPG over the last 3 fill ups on QSUD.
My OC now consists of:
5QT QSUD 5W30 + .7QT REDLINE 5W-30 to boost additive package.
QR.jpg

Right now, this minute, Amazon Basics is $23.00 for a 5-qt jug, Edge EP is $24.48 and M1 is $24.37. Close enough to your Amazon price to mean almost nothing when amortized over the course of an OCI.

As noted in my original post, I've thought about the Costco/Super Tech oils [and that, I suppose, includes Amazon Basics], and they'd probably be good enough, but I just can't find it in my OCD heart to move in that direction at this time. If the cost were a greater concern for me, I'd drive down to Costco and pick up TWO 5-quart jugs for $26.00. Have you considered the Kirkland full syn oil, especially at the current price?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

I am currently using Kirkland Full Synthetic oil and love it. Don't noticed any difference from M1, Pennzoil or any of the other oils that I have used. As long as you change your oil on time, Kirkland will be more than what you need.

Back