Castrol Edge 0W-40 lost LL-01?

I was looking on the new Castrol website, and I noticed that the European 0w-40 (A3/b4, 229.5,A40) does not seem to carry LL-01 anymore. What are some thoughts on this, I suspect they may have failed the same turbocharger test that Mobil 1 did. The date on the product data sheet posted herein is July 20, 2018.

296F20E9-E8BC-443B-8083-2D64F6820F4F.png

BE0D0282-4482-4924-B363-1F2FC15B4FBC.png

Stick to Mobil 1. Best oil, always getting attacked by the competition (SOPUS), therefore you know which is the beast Mobil 1

For all practical purposes, LL-01 is an obsolete specification. BMW's most recent TSB states that LL-01FE can be used in LL-01 applications.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Stick to Mobil 1. Best oil, always getting attacked by the competition (SOPUS), therefore you know which is the beast Mobil 1

Mobil1 hasn't carried that spec for even longer than Castrol.

Originally Posted by claluja
Anything that meets A40 and 229.5 is amazing oil.

That doesn't help anyone who needs a BMW spec'd oil.

Originally Posted by The Critic
For all practical purposes, LL-01 is an obsolete specification. BMW's most recent TSB states that LL-01FE can be used in LL-01 applications.

^^^ This

IMO it's just part of the transition to 20w since all of the current engine offerings by BMW can run on 20w.

Exactly.

All the hand wringing we did over Mobil 1 is going to happen again apparently - though to me it is clear that Castrol is positioning their 0W-40 exactly the same way as Mobil - it is still their premium product with the most current and relevant specifications.

There is still Castrol 5W-40, an "old" oil that meets "old" specifications like LL01.

Originally Posted by ad_infinitum
I suspect they may have failed the same turbocharger test that Mobil 1 did. The date on the product data sheet posted herein is July 20, 2018.

What?

Where in the heck did that come from?

From the EXTENSIVE discussion we had on here, there was absolutely no reason ever uncovered as to why Mobil dropped the LL-01 approval with the FS reformulation. There was a lot of SPECULATION, but beyond that, nothing.

This will be the THIRD 0w-40 to be lacking LL-01 on its approval list, whilst retaining the other current relevant manufacturer approvals:
1. M1 FS 0w-40
2. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40
3. Castrol Edge 0w-40 (new)

So either the oils are all becoming junk, yet managing to retain A40, 229.5, 502.00...etc, or, what is more likely, is that these flagship products are simply not being re-certified for LL-01 when reformulated/formulated because it's no longer a current spec.

Weird I have been using Castrol 0w40 in my M3 and all of the bottles I used have the LL-01 approval on them. Guess Ill have to keep an eye on that.

On another note, BMW has really made their oil recommendations confusing in recent years. Outside of LL-01, there doesnt seem to be any "off the shelf" oils available meeting LL-01fe or some of the newer specs.

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Weird I have been using Castrol 0w40 in my M3 and all of the bottles I used have the LL-01 approval on them. Guess Ill have to keep an eye on that.

On another note, BMW has really made their oil recommendations confusing in recent years. Outside of LL-01, there doesnt seem to be any "off the shelf" oils available meeting LL-01fe or some of the newer specs.

LL01FE is an obsolete spec that's really only used in the US. In any case the link below will give you some LL01 options. The S55 can use LL01, LL01FE, LL04 and LL12FE.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f32-435i-cou/repair-manuals/11-engine/1PSryV8

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Exactly.

All the hand wringing we did over Mobil 1 is going to happen again apparently - though to me it is clear that Castrol is positioning their 0W-40 exactly the same way as Mobil - it is still their premium product with the most current and relevant specifications.

There is still Castrol 5W-40, an "old" oil that meets "old" specifications like LL01.

Then where are Castrol and Mobil's approved oils for newer Longlife standards? They're non-existent.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
or, what is more likely, is that these flagship products are simply not being re-certified for LL-01 when reformulated/formulated because it's no longer a current spec.

This is probably the case. The newly reformulated PP Euro 5W-40 re-certified for LL-01 approval.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Exactly.

Then where are Castrol and Mobil's approved oils for newer Longlife standards? They're non-existent.

Yup, looks like neither may be proceeding with BMW certifications, as I don't believe Mobil has a single BMW-approved product in their Mobil 1 portfolio at this juncture
21.gif
They are, on the other hand, awash with products with VAG, Benz and Porsche approvals.

Back