Castrol announces discovery of new Fluid TITANIUM Technology benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

I'm on a Castrol kick....

hmmm, is this article new? Says 2019, but this appears to be the same Ti.

Dr Rebecca Yates continues: "This formulation is rooted in tribology. From the additives that we have selected, to the creation of Fluid TITANIUM Technology and the robust testing process that this product has been through, high-pressure chemistry is at its core. Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology can confidently say that it reduces performance robbing friction by up to 20 per cent, the greatest advancement of anti-friction lubricant currently in the market."

Originally Posted by CT8
Bitog guys are suckers for marketing claims.

This x1,000,000

Same ole Titanium

Edit: not just Titanium, but TITANIUM

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Mobil Super 5000 used to use TI as did many ConocoPhillips oils.

Edge is a quality product. That article is marketing, telling us what we already know...Castrol spends millions on R&D

Did you know that a lot of money that goes into R&D also ends up being used as marketing?

A lot of times information found using money spent on R&D is actually used solely for marketing purposes. It's not industry specific either.

To make it semi simple

Marketing Team: Man, our Titanium oil needs a new refresher, our sales are slipping! Get R&D on it!

R&D team: we just found out Titanium is 0.00007% more effective at preventing wear

Marketing Team: alright alright alright! New commercial:
"X BRAND OIL, USING TITANIUM WHICH HAS NOW BEEN FOUND TO PREVENT EVEN MORE WEAR PROTECTION!"

Your average person is going to just buy it because of the key words and statements: Titanium, even more, wear protection.

These words will resonate. Theyll go buy oil and look and immediately see a bottle with Titanium on it and go "YIPPEE that's the stuff!"

Little do they know, it's the same stuff, and since they're average persons and not someone like a BITOGer, I doubt they're looking at VOAs, PDS', etc.

- Marketing graduate

Last edited:
Filter through the hyperbole and what you've distilled is titanium, like some other transition metals, is an effective EP additive. Not exactly ground breaking news but how else would you expect Castrol to tout their use of titanium? (spoiler alert: all oil mfgs do it; use hyperbolic language in their press releases and marketing literature)

Hey, maybe they should back that up by Project Farm!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Warstud
Can't do better than Magnatec never....never....never

That one lube consistently turns in good UOA's in a broad array of engines.. pretty impressive, and I'm not a Castrol fanboy.

Edge is a quality product. That article is marketing, telling us what we already know...Castrol spends millions on R&D

Castrol uses their own, proprietary Ti additive.

ya it's marketing. I don't think this additive gives Castrol an edge
grin2.gif
over the competition, but it is interesting. All oils today control wear very well.

Originally Posted by buster

Castrol uses their own, proprietary Ti additive.

ya it's marketing. I don't think this additive gives Castrol an edge
grin2.gif
over the competition, but it is interesting. All oils today control wear very well.

True... and the formulator may choose one AW/EP additive over another for not just it's friction reducing properties but also for it's antioxidant capabilities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by CT8
Bitog guys are suckers for marketing claims.

This x1,000,000

Same ole Titanium

Edit: not just Titanium, but TITANIUM

You're sure it's not:

T I T A N I U M
I
T
A
N
I
U
M

?

Link

Regarding diamond anvil cells and structural phase transitions of materials under extreme pressures (gigapascal range), this used to be my research area. In particular I was looking at lanthanides and actinides such as cerium (Ce) that suddenly experience a volume collapse of 15% or even more because of phase transitions under extreme pressure. This is pure science and it's interesting that Castrol scientists actually went to such great lengths to understand the mechanism of their tribofilms. Right on!

buster, as for the new discovery, I don't think they are referring to a new titanium additive but I think they are referring to the discovery of the underlying mechanism of how the titanium additive works.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Link

Regarding diamond anvil cells and structural phase transitions of materials under extreme pressures (gigapascal range), this used to be my research area. In particular I was looking at lanthanides and actinides such as cerium (Ce) that suddenly experience a volume collapse of 15% or even more because of phase transitions under extreme pressure. This is pure science and it's interesting that Castrol scientists actually went to such great lengths to understand the mechanism of their tribofilms. Right on!

I wonder how this pressure-activation works and have been of the thought that Ti is basically a solid lubricant that provides higher MOFT.
Appreciate if you care to provide link(s) on the diamond thing and its mechanism ?

Last edited:
Reduces friction by %20 ...

Let assume that friction was 0 to begin with. Not realistic but for the sake of the argument ...
Reduce that by %20 and you get %0 reduction. Meaning no reduction!

in a more realistic case, reducing a very low number and/or a relatively insignificant number by %20, will result in an insignificant reduction! Meaning marketing at work
shocked2.gif

Not saying the oil is bad. I have 2x5 qt. of intelligent molecules in my garage but you gotta know the real numbers and do the math
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back