Castrol 0w40 without LL-01 in BMW S63

Good evening all,

I'm new here but I have posted a couple times and have combed the vast knowledge here since early Covid19.

I am looking for a readily available oil to do the 5K interval change on my 2015 M5 and Castrol 0w40 looks to be a really nice choice with a great price point in the 5qt jug. The 10k intervals will be at the dealer because I want that as part of the vehicle history, so for those, it'll be BMW TPT 5w30. Currently running Motul 6100 5w30 and have two jugs of Motul 5w30 LL01-FE on the bench that I'll use in cooler months. It consumes no oil between changes.

My question is this: is it advisable to use Castrol 0w40 in the S63 without the LL01 approval on the jug? The 1qt bottles locally have LL01 on them, so my guess is those are older stock, but the oil is the same in the 5qt right? With the MBZ 229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals, I have a hard time seeing how this would create an issue despite the lack of LL01 approval. Everything I have read about the Castrol is great-PLUS the manual and oil cap say "BMW recommends Castrol". My car was a September '14 build so Shell hadn't yet become their supplier. I could see going to a 3500mi interval with the Castrol since it's available everywhere.

Use with confidence?

Thanks for any advice and responses

Last edited:
Here is the latest from the Castrol website. It's definitely is rated as LL-01. ( Long Life 01) . Can you post a photo of the back of the jug?

35443C66-D01E-41BD-B35F-F8002637BB2A.png

That is interesting. I hadn't looked at their website, but there has been discussion here of that approval being removed. The 5qt jugs locally available are all missing the BMW LL01 approval, but I have seen it on the 1qt bottles a few times. I see you're in BC-perhaps there is something marketing related that differs in the US and Canada-surely this isn't different oil?

Castrol-Front.jpg

Castrol-Back.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by propellerhead78
Good evening all,

I'm new here but I have posted a couple times and have combed the vast knowledge here since early Covid19.

I am looking for a readily available oil to do the 5K interval change on my 2015 M5 and Castrol 0w40 looks to be a really nice choice with a great price point in the 5qt jug. The 10k intervals will be at the dealer because I want that as part of the vehicle history, so for those, it'll be BMW TPT 5w30. Currently running Motul 6100 5w30 and have two jugs of Motul 5w30 LL01-FE on the bench that I'll use in cooler months. It consumes no oil between changes.

My question is this: is it advisable to use Castrol 0w40 in the S63 without the LL01 approval on the jug? The 1qt bottles locally have LL01 on them, so my guess is those are older stock, but the oil is the same in the 5qt right? With the MBZ 229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals, I have a hard time seeing how this would create an issue despite the lack of LL01 approval. Everything I have read about the Castrol is great-PLUS the manual and oil cap say "BMW recommends Castrol". My car was a September '14 build so Shell hadn't yet become their supplier. I could see going to a 3500mi interval with the Castrol since it's available everywhere.

Use with confidence?

Use with confidence or Mobil1 0W40FS.
If you want approved oil Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 available in Advance Auto Parts on sale is choice in same category with Castrol and M1 0W40.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here is the latest from the Castrol website. It's definitely is rated as LL-01. ( Long Life 01) . Can you post a photo of the back of the jug?

Wuuuut?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Good evening all,

Use with confidence?

If you want approved oil Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 available in Advance Auto Parts on sale is choice in same category with Castrol and M1 0W40.

Thanks edyvw for the response, I appreciate it. I'll proceed with using the Castrol for this 5k interval (and enjoy the $23 purchase per jug) and consider the Pennzoil for the next 5k change. From what little I can gather and understand about oil specs, the Pennzoil has a lower NOACK number which is a plus for a direct injected engine (lower carbon deposition in intake tract etc)-is that correct? I suppose if I change the oil every 5k or earlier, it may not matter. This is a forever car so it gets everything it wants.

Snagglefoot-that is interesting. Looks like the Edge 0w40 in Canada retains it's LL-01 approval while we in the US do not. What gives? Must be a marketing shenanigan or legal thing? Hard to believe we have different oils here. Helpful info, thanks!

Good evening all,

Use with confidence?

Thanks edyvw for the response, I appreciate it. I'll proceed with using the Castrol for this 5k interval (and enjoy the $23 purchase per jug) and consider the Pennzoil for the next 5k change. From what little I can gather and understand about oil specs, the Pennzoil has a lower NOACK number which is a plus for a direct injected engine (lower carbon deposition in intake tract etc)-is that correct? I suppose if I change the oil every 5k or earlier, it may not matter. This is a forever car so it gets everything it wants.

Snagglefoot-that is interesting. Looks like the Edge 0w40 in Canada retains it's LL-01 approval while we in the US do not. What gives? Must be a marketing shenanigan or legal thing? Hard to believe we have different oils here. Helpful info, thanks!

Castrol Edge 0W40 has pretty low Noack for 0W40 oil, at 9.1%. Mobil1 is at 8.7%. Yes, lower Noack is better for various reasons. In S63 I would run oil that has most robust HTHS considering how hot those engines run. Pennzoil at AAP comes at $35 for 5qt with oil filter (they gave me MANN with 5qt, so check it).
One oil that looks really interesting, especially for your engine is Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W40. It has HTHS at 3.9, and pretty low KV100 for such HTHS, which indicates really stout base stock. Not sure is it on sale in North America yet, but it is on Motul NA web site.

BMW revised the LL01 spec rather than dropping it all together. It is sometimes notated as LL01(2018). Mercedes revised their 229.50/229.30 spec's in 2019.

Personally I would just use up whatever stash you have and stick with the BMW TPT 5w30. It's almost a 10w-30 and as i understand it the narrower spread means less VII's compared to a 0w-40. In addition the TPT 5w30 has an extremely low volatility. ---> HERE

IMO BMW really hit it out of the park with their choice of oil vs the red staining Castrol SLX they had in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
BMW revised the LL01 spec rather than dropping it all together. It is sometimes notated as LL01(2018). Mercedes revised their 229.50/229.30 spec's in 2019.

Personally I would just use up whatever stash you have and stick with the BMW TPT 5w30. It's almost a 10w-30 and as i understand it the narrower spread means less VII's compared to a 0w-40 and this oil has an extremely low volatility. ---> HERE

Where do you find that? All of the dealers here sell BMW 0w30 or 0w20.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Personally I would just use up whatever stash you have and stick with the BMW TPT 5w30. It's almost a 10w-30 and as i understand it the narrower spread means less VII's compared to a 0w-40 and this oil has an extremely low volatility. ---> HERE

They brought it back. Edyvw told me about it a couple of months ago and I confirmed with my dealership that they also carry it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

They brought it back. Edyvw told me about it a couple of months ago and I confirmed with my dealership that they also carry it.

Good to know.
thumbsup2.gif

Castrol 5w40 from Wally's still shows LL-01 on the label as well. Any of the Euro oils mentioned will be fine. Are you replacing filter at OCI or just drain and fill because of the short run? Just curious, if you don't use an OEM filter the dealer could know you had done an oil change in between and LL-01 could come into question. With dealer performed 10k OCIs though I really think that is not likely to be an issue.

The Castrol Canda and Castro US websites show different approvals.

Maybe the German or Belgian 0W40 is being brought into Canada while the US material is different?

Good evening all,

Use with confidence?

Castrol Edge 0W40 has pretty low Noack for 0W40 oil, at 9.1%. Mobil1 is at 8.7%. Yes, lower Noack is better for various reasons. In S63 I would run oil that has most robust HTHS considering how hot those engines run. Pennzoil at AAP comes at $35 for 5qt with oil filter (they gave me MANN with 5qt, so check it).
One oil that looks really interesting, especially for your engine is Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W40. It has HTHS at 3.9, and pretty low KV100 for such HTHS, which indicates really stout base stock. Not sure is it on sale in North America yet, but it is on Motul NA web site.

Thank you for that info, it's great to see it in one place and have clarity on these options. I'll look into the Motul X-cess Gen2 5w40-I do like their products quite a bit. The Pennzoil 5w40 does look compelling and I see in your signature you run it. Until last November, I had a 2008 328i 6-speed manual that I sold to my brother with about 220k on it. Absolutely phenomenal car, and it ran as good as a new car when I sold it. I had style 197 wheels with the Bilstein B12 pro-kit and M3 control arms. Total perfection in a pure BMW...Bro tells me that he's just holding the car for me because I'll want it back!

I am going to upgrade suspension, but my 328i i also daily driver, and with small kids I do not want to go too hard. I am definiately going Bilstein but B4 or jsut small upgrade to B6. I am though changing mounts to Monroe and probably some other parts, possibly going M3 subframe bushings.
I got PP bcs. there was really good deal at AAP. Engine runs very smooth, no complaints. Though BMW TPT 5W30 is really good oil too.

I've heard of using the sport package mounts but not Monroe mounts as an upgrade?

I have the Bilstein B6 on my 328i with the sport package mounts, and it sure made difference. Seems like there is only one part number now and it is the upgraded sport mount.

Mine is not an Xi, so there could be differences there.

I am going to upgrade suspension, but my 328i i also daily driver, and with small kids I do not want to go too hard. I am definiately going Bilstein but B4 or jsut small upgrade to B6. I am though changing mounts to Monroe and probably some other parts, possibly going M3 subframe bushings.
I got PP bcs. there was really good deal at AAP. Engine runs very smooth, no complaints. Though BMW TPT 5W30 is really good oil too.

Originally Posted by drtyler
I've heard of using the sport package mounts but not Monroe mounts as an upgrade?

I have the Bilstein B6 on my 328i with the sport package mounts, and it sure made difference. Seems like there is only one part number now and it is the upgraded sport mount.

Mine is not an Xi, so there could be differences there.

S apparently Monroe mounts are different material and are basically upgrade. xDrive sport package means everything cosmetic upgrade (I have sport package) but suspension. Suspension on xDrive is same as regular 328i. I also d ot want too crazy as I drive a lot this car in winter in mountains and need to keep some clearance. So, changing bushings, mounts and going with bit harder shocks is as much as I want to push. I know that even B4 are already bit stiffer than OE SACHS.

I am though changing mounts to Monroe .
I wouldn't do this before having the chance to try them. Back in '95 I had a Monroe coilover kit installed and my E36/ 325i immediately felt like a completely different car, in a bad way. I switched back to OE shocks a week later. The idea was to save money but I ended up paying more.

My current daily driver (E92/335i) is on Ohlins. I've had this set-up fitted for 7 years (about 70,000miles) and been very pleased with it. Overall Ohlins gives great handling and a silky smooth ride (I have my dampers set to full soft). On my back roads, there were sections that had successive bumps that couldn't be hit too fast, as the car was rebounding from the first when it hit the second, and the car would slam down and bottom out/hit the stops, and there were some washboard sections that had the car shuddering. Now, it is as if these sections didn't even exist, I can bomb rough sections significantly faster, and the car soaks them up like nothing, all while the ride is now many times smoother and better. I really think Ohlins coilovers are special.

I wouldn't do this before having the chance to try them. Back in '95 I had a Monroe coilover kit installed and my E36/ 325i immediately felt like a completely different car, in a bad way. I switched back to OE shocks a week later. The idea was to save money but I ended up paying more.

My current daily driver (E92/335i) is on Ohlins. I've had this set-up fitted for 7 years (about 70,000miles) and been very pleased with it. Overall Ohlins gives great handling and a silky smooth ride (I have my dampers set to full soft). On my back roads, there were sections that had successive bumps that couldn't be hit too fast, as the car was rebounding from the first when it hit the second, and the car would slam down and bottom out/hit the stops, and there were some washboard sections that had the car shuddering. Now, it is as if these sections didn't even exist, I can bomb rough sections significantly faster, and the car soaks them up like nothing, all while the ride is now many times smoother and better. I really think Ohlins coilovers are special.
No, I do not mean to buy Monroe shocks. I am going with Bilsten B4. However, from what I have read on BMW forums those that used Monroe mounts, it seems that it provides better responsiveness to a car once moved to regular tires from RFT's. As I am going to do some track days once this crisis is gone and my in laws can watch kids, I will need to do some work on suspension. But, as this is my DD, I am not going to crazy.

No, I do not mean to buy Monroe shocks. I am going with Bilsten B4. However, from what I have read on BMW forums those that used Monroe mounts, it seems that it provides better responsiveness to a car once moved to regular tires from RFT's. As I am going to do some track days once this crisis is gone and my in laws can watch kids, I will need to do some work on suspension. But, as this is my DD, I am not going to crazy.

If you're talking about the rear upper shock mounts, the Monroe's are a nice upgrade. Not huge but worth it. I don't know much about rear lower mounts or front strut mounts though.

Back