Case blew out today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by spasm3
I wonder if you somehow got hold of some booby trapped ammo. Intentionally over charged or incorrect type powder. It might not be that hard for this stuff to get back into the USA.

So called "bobby trapped" ammo has enough explosive potential to blow the bolt back into the operators face, killing the operator of the gun and exploding the gun into pieces.

I HIGHLY doubt that there is much Vietnam era ammo being shipped into the US.

IIRC, they were random full loads of pistol type powders, not what you could get from an overcharge of the regular riflepowders.

I've read accounts of them using explosives too.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Case flaw. Not a weapon issue, just bad brass.

Agree 100%. If that case held pressure like it should have before rupturing, that primer would have been severely flattened in the primer pocket. It's not because it took very little pressure to rupture that case.

Who was the manufacturer of your vz.58? Where we are not allowed to have the full auto sear it actually opened up the gun for safety problems. I used to have a century built vz58 and all they did was cut off the full auto sear. The problem with that is that the full auto sear, even if you are not in full auto is what does not allow the striker to be released if the bolt is not in battery and fully locked. In the semi auto configuration (CZ never designed the gun to be in) I felt like was a out of battery discharge waiting to happen. There are tabs you can weld on the bolt carrier, and some that come with the tab welded, but that is mostly for if the recoil caused you to bump the trigger way too early (bumpfire but before it would physically be able to fire) and prevent you from having a dead trigger for that cambering. Those tabs do not seem to address the safety problem these guns seem to be susceptible of. I have never had a live round go off out of battery (that I know of that caused gas in the face or gun damage) but I have been able to setup a primed case to go off out of battery.

If our politicians would keep their oaths these guns could be imported directly (without having to be torch cut, with a certain number of US parts, and remade here) in a safe (full auto) to operate configuration that wont have a small chance of blowing up in your face.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine is one of the Czechpoint rifle with the tabbed bolt carrier.

A design flaw of the vz58 is that the rifle can be assembled and fired* w/o having the locking piece installed. That said, shooting any firearm w/o reinstalling all the pieces is generally a bad idea.

From what I've been able to see the firing pin doesn't protrude past the bolt face until the locking block has started to lock, which should prevent OOB firing caused by a stuck firing pin. All in all, I'd be happier if we could have the auto sear in the semi only guns, but ATF frowns on that...

BSW

*Once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back