CarFax

I am getting ready to buy a car and in looking at CarFax I saw there was damage (not accident) reported on a specific date. Reached out to CarFax to try and find out what the damage reported was. In an email response they basically said they could not provide that information. So I ask, what is the point of listing an issue without providing specific information? I know CarFax can only report what is reported but when something is should they not provide info as to what they are referring to?

I am getting ready to buy a car and in looking at CarFax I saw there was damage (not accident) reported on a specific date. Reached out to CarFax to try and find out what the damage reported was. In an email response they basically said they could not provide that information. So I ask, what is the point of listing an issue without providing specific information? I know CarFax can only report what is reported but when something is should they not provide info as to what they are referring to?
I have found that a dealer provided Car Fax can be much different than a report you pay for and generate on your own.

Not sure what that means as I am referring to incomplete info on a CarFax report

I wanted you to volunteer information such as the year, make and model. I understand you might not want to provide it.
Also if you post a link and a bunch of members click on it, the dealer will see more hits on it and you might not get as good of a deal on it. I think the thread starter knows that, but not everyone does.

I wanted you to volunteer information such as the year, make and model. I understand you might not want to provide it.
Also if you post a link and a bunch of members click on it, the dealer will see more hits on it and you might not get as good of a deal on it. I think the thread starter knows that, but not everyone does.
2015 Chevrolet with 3200 verified miles. If Carfax can't be specific on their comments as to reported damage I see no reason to pay for another report which I would have done if that's what they requested. I have been provided with ALL service records from Chevrolet and there is NO mention of any issues which is why I reached out to CarFax

2015 Chevrolet with 3200 verified miles. If Carfax can't be specific on their comments as to reported damage I see no reason to pay for another report which I would have done if that's what they requested. I have been provided with ALL service records from Chevrolet and there is NO mention of any issues which is why I reached out to CarFax
They can only list the information given to them. I mean, if the PO does their own oil changes... then that service wouldn't be listed on the Carfax. They are only as good as the info they get.

That's why I find them interesting, but not the be-all, end-all. In person inspection is still pretty important. Not sure it's worth it to me pay for Carfax, although I'll read them all day long when they are free.

Carfax has probably 100 million cars in it's database. No way it can list every minute detail of damage that a car sustains. Usually it says something like right front or left side impact, light, moderate, heavy, car not drivable, airbag deployed, etc. Sometimes it lists a police report number. It's up to you to inspect the car based on that. They won't know anymore than what is listed.

Carfax is just a tool to use when investigating a car but it is far from perfect.

Reactions: GON
Carfax is just a tool to use when investigating a car but it is far from perfect.
CarFax just emailed me that their information needs to be checked as they are NOT accurate on a regular basis. This is whether I paid for a report or viewed the dealer provided version which they said would be the same. Ironically, the Experian Auto Check Report provided by the dealer had the information I was looking for!

Back