Caravan finally gone?

Wards Link
"Distilling the brand" is also a nice way of saying Dodge is dropping the Dodge Grand Caravan minivan and the Dodge Journey CUV for the 2021 model year. That leaves the 2-door Challenger, 4-door Charger and Durango SUV as the last three models in the Dodge brand lineup.

Dodge has been hinting for more than a year the Grand Caravan might not be around much longer. The minivan got a "35th Anniversary special edition" sendoff trim and equipment package for the 2019 model year, but the sendoff was delayed.

"We want to distill the Dodge brand and stop producing Caravans and Journeys. But no matter how many times I said it, the sales always continued, and we continued making them," Kuniskis says. "The '20 model year this is really the final production year."

Journey is gone too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Donald
Women did not mind having kids but did not want to drive a Caravan.
I disagree. It was the women with kids that wanted them. My wife was one of them. Minivans were all the rage until about 2000 when the soccer mom jokes started.

That's too bad, as above mentioned, there went an affordable family hauler.

Everything else is fancy and expensive.

Oh yeah Mini-vans were the thing to have for sure for quite a while, much like SUVs are now. We drove a wagon longer than most because we could not get into a mini-van. My wife has been driving a mini-van for about 20 years now so of course she wants an SUV.

Kids are grown and grandkids are small so why not?

Chrysler invented the mini-van and they did it better than most everybody else for decades.

The Journey itself was pretty ancient. 11 or 12 years?

Up until a year or two ago you could still get one with the terrible 41TE transmission!

Originally Posted by madRiver
Guessing Journey was a cash cow given 11 year run.

They quietly hide a 4 speed auto is the transmission in 2020!!!!!!!

I'd rather have a 4-speed auto than a DCT
smirk2.gif

The problem isn't that it only has 4 speeds; the problem is that Chrysler transmissions are terrible!
27.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
Especially that chrysler transmission. Those have to be one of the worst of all time

Worst of all time has to go to any Japanese 5 speed auto.

Originally Posted by wag123
It was the vehicle that saved Chrysler in the 80s. The end of an era. Sad.

It was impressive for its time. I remember as a very young child our family leasing a brand new Voyager van. So much space for everybody, even if just one door opened. You could spread out on trips. It could even tow a small trailer and get good gas mileage.

In the '80's when the minivan debuted I said, "What took 'em so long?" Totally useful vehicle.
I regret not buying one or both of the pair of basic Mopar vans my friend shed over those early years.
Cars served me just fine all that time but a van would've made things better.

I agree, I love my Caravan. I had a 98 sienna before that. Stow and go makes it handy to pick up stuff and not need to drive back home to remove the seats. I'm hoping on keeping this as long as I possibly can. The good thing about Caravan's is the pick and pulls have plenty of them, so finding parts isnt a problem.

Pricing and incentives were good on them too. Let's see what happens with the Chrysler variants of the Pacifica.

Sad for Caravan. I cannot stand that POS Journey. Everyone I know that owned them were happiest person once they sold them. Those who owned that car will never go back to Dodge.

Back