Car window tint quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does after market tinting last these days?

I see a lot of cars with peeling windows or with bubbles!

Can it last 10 or 15 years without peeling off or bubbles?

They all give you a life time warranty but 3 years later the business is gone!
wink.gif

I've had my wife's civic tinted for at least 15 years. No issues with it.

Had an accord I kept for 8 years and a sienna for 9 years and no issues in those. On the caravan I've had the front doors tinted two years ago.

I guess it depends on who installed it and the quality of the tint film.

Last edited:
The tint on my 1991 F-150 is still fine. I had it put on almost 27 years ago, shortly after I bought the truck. I think how long it lasts depends more on how it's installed, than what type. The best grade tint won't hold up if it's not applied properly. Also, it can be damaged over time by using too harsh of a cleaner. Stay away from Ammonia based window cleaners. All I have ever used on mine is plain water, per what the installer told me.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The tint on my 1991 F-150 is still fine. I had it put on almost 27 years ago, shortly after I bought the truck. I think how long it lasts depends more on how it's installed, than what type. The best grade tint won't hold up if it's not applied properly. Also, it can be damaged over time by using too harsh of a cleaner. Stay away from Ammonia based window cleaners. All I have ever used on mine is plain water, per what the installer told me.

+1 on staying away from the ammonia based cleaners.

The tint on my wife's CR-V is 10 years old and it is 6 years old on my Tundra. Both are holding up fine. My son's Corolla is also holding up fine but the tint is only 2 years old on it.

Last place that I had my tint done has been in business for over 15 years at the same place.
on my '04 Elantra I had the tint replaced, once for the rear window bubbling @ about 5 years (needed it again at the time I sold it) and while they did that I had them do the other windows due to tint fade. This was in the 10 years.
No charge for any of the replacement. So while it was about 5 years that it lasted, having a shop that has been around can make a difference.
Also the quality of the tint itself makes a big difference.

They have done 3 other vehicles of mine as well.
Wife's car has the front windows that were done and still look great 5 years later (using Suntek CXP 55% tint)

There are good and bad ones, dont buy a bad one and it will likely last the lifetime of the vehicle. When you see the 60$ tint specials they are not using quality tint.

Look for 3M,Llumar,Suntek...etc these are better brands yes a little more expensive but will last and not bubble and turn purple.

I personally have Formula One Pinnical by Llumar on my Camaro and another cheaper Llumar tint on my Jeep both work great in the Florida sun.

Just like oil, Tint has its own PDS which will list its specs

Llumar/Formual1: http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/formulaonellumarautomotivespecifications2018january.pdf
suntek https://www.suntekfilms.com/Files/SunTek Auto Specs.pdf
3M http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetriev...ibute=ImageFile

For example in S.FL I care about total solar/heat rejection.

If the shop I installed my tint at goes under, I just find the next Llumar dealer and bring my receipt no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: talest
Llumar is a good brand of tint.

This.

There are HUGE differences in quality of tint film. I have Llumar cermaic CTX tints on my cars, but there are even better quality films out there now.

If you get dyed films, they will fade, they all do eventually. Metallic tints are better but they block signals of things like cell phones, remotes etc etc. Ceramic is like metallic, as in it won't fade, but will not block radio frequency signals.

Also big difference in amount of heat rejected vs darkness of tint. You can go with a lighter ceramic tint and get better heat rejection than a dark dyed film.

Is there such a thing as a film that is clear but rejects UV rays and heat? Like can be applied to the windshield and be legal?

One of the best tint shops around here that's been business a long time charges $300-400-500 for 3M tint. The $300 package has a 5 year warranty and longer warranties on the more expensive options. So not cheap at all.

I tinted my Mazda 3 12 years ago. The film looks perfect, no bubbles or anything, but it has faded to the point that it almost looks like clear glass. I don't remember what brand it is. I tried peeling it off with a heat gun, but after so many years it's stuck in there pretty good. So I have to live with it.

My daily driver has Huper Optik ceramic film and it still looks and performs well after 7 years.

Ceramic films seem to offer great heat rejection and decent longevity. I recommend 3M Crystalline if it is in your budget, but it is about $1k to do a car.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Is there such a thing as a film that is clear but rejects UV rays and heat? Like can be applied to the windshield and be legal?

It is illegal in all 50 states to tint the windshield to any degree, but many do it with as high as 30%.

I know 3M has a 90% tint (only 10% light blocked) that is their top of the line tint that blocks heat better than most competitors darker top tier tints.

My wife does not like dark tint at all, so she only has 55% on her front windows and whatever is stock tint from the factory, but after seeing this 3M stuff, that my be her next tint, regardless of price.

I've got Huper X3 Ceramic 40 Series all-round on my vehicles, except the windshields which has Nano-Ceramic 70. Huper Optik is part part of Eastman Chemical Company like Llumar.

Never had any issues, but again I use plain water with a touch of soap to clean it - no harsh chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back