Car brand that burned you so bad on reliability you'd never buy again?

Chrysler products. My dads Jeep has a lot of electrical issues that have been annoying like when he hit the window lock because when I was a kid I used to always roll down my windows the first time he did it he tried to unlock them and it wouldn’t work and the mechanic told him it had to have a master switch that was expensive that was just one of many issues. Then at 108,000 the block cracked so since then it has been sitting that was in 2014 this is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. We are going to get it back on the road someday just money has been tight.

We bought a 2003 BMW 540i in 2014. It had 59,000 miles and a couple owners. I knew what I was getting myself into with this purchase. With the amount of work I have done to this car in six years, I should get a certified BMW tech certificate.

New radiator, hoses, lower oil pan gasket, brakes (all around), vacuum hoses, TPS gaskets, changed the (lifetime) transmission fluid twice, two coils, entire rear suspension, front tie rod ends, auxiliary water pump, fixed pixel issues on dash, hood release cable, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, O2 sensors, fuel filter, valley pan gasket, starter, liquid cooled alternator (that was fun) and a few other things here and there.

If I had to pay someone to do these things, I would be in to this car for more than I paid for it six years ago.

I would not buy another BMW, but it certainly made me a better shade tree mechanic.

On the other hand, I bought a 1999 Suburban with 100k miles on it in 2012. Since that time, we have driven from Arizona to Michigan seven times and put 125k miles on it without any issues other than maintenance.

Last edited:
Chevy Vega!! I bought it for like 50 bucks and it ran. Just a few days later I got a red light violation. It was all downhill after that.

We bought a 2003 BMW 540i in 2014. It had 59,000 miles and a couple owners. I knew what I was getting myself into with this purchase. With the amount of work I have done to this car in six years, I should get a certified BMW tech certificate.

New radiator, hoses, lower oil pan gasket, brakes (all around), vacuum hoses, TPS gaskets, changed the (lifetime) transmission fluid twice, two coils, entire rear suspension, front tie rod ends, auxiliary water pump, fixed pixel issues on dash, hood release cable, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, O2 sensors, fuel filter, valley pan gasket, starter, liquid cooled alternator (that was fun) and a few other things here and there.

Everything listed here is small ball easy stuff on an E39.

You have to do the chain guide job and A-drum before you can claim your master tech certificate.

Everything listed here is small ball easy stuff on an E39.

You have to do the chain guide job and A-drum before you can claim your master tech certificate.

Oh yeah, you are absolutely correct. The TCG repair is the holy grail of BMW DIY projects. I do plan to try it once that day comes. For now, the engine runs and sounds normal.

If I had to pay someone to do these things, I would be in to this car for more than I paid for it six years ago.

I would not buy another BMW, but it certainly made me a better shade tree mechanic.

On the other hand, I bought a 1999 Suburban with 100k miles on it in 2012. Since that time, we have driven from Arizona to Michigan seven times and put 125k miles on it without any issues other than maintenance.
If you go to a BMW forum, they are almost giddy when they do these repairs. It’s a badge of honor or something to throw $20,000 dollars of repairs into a BMW over 3-4 years. Transmission failed? Yay! I now have a new transmission! Ring replacement? Now I have new rings! Shouldn’t need new rings again for at least three years! Weee! Look at me!

And for some reason I was dumb enough to buy my wife a used Mercedes GL350...I did buy the extended warranty though (and I never buy warranties). So I’ll be that guy bragging about dropping a transfer case or differential into the GL. Yikes.

Once thought the Nissan was the Cats Meow but you couldn't give me one now if was required to keep it as part of the deal .. Their Quality has gone to Hell in a Handbasket since merged with Renault .. Especially that Jatco CVT Transmission ..

The thing about BMW that riled me up was a water cooled alternator - *** is that.!! Cheapo plastics all over and I am told after 100K no one should touch the inside of the car - they just break down and brittle. I never liked plastics in a engine compartment, but they take it to the next level.

If you go to a BMW forum, they are almost giddy when they do these repairs. It’s a badge of honor or something to throw $20,000 dollars of repairs into a BMW over 3-4 years. Transmission failed? Yay! I now have a new transmission! Ring replacement? Now I have new rings! Shouldn’t need new rings again for at least three years! Weee! Look at me!

And for some reason I was dumb enough to buy my wife a used Mercedes GL350...I did buy the extended warranty though (and I never buy warranties). So I’ll be that guy bragging about dropping a transfer case or differential into the GL. Yikes.

Wow, I must be the supreme outlier; over the past 37 years I've owned 12 BMWs and the only big-ticket items I've replaced have been a transfer case on my wife's E83 X3 at 8 years and 139k miles($3,500) and an A/C compressor on the E36/5 3er at 25 years($700).
But as I noted above, from now on nothing but used Corollas for me!

Cheapo plastics all over and I am told after 100K no one should touch the inside of the car - they just break down and brittle[sic].

I'm impressed; whoever "told" you absolutely nailed it! Two examples:

My wife's 2004 X3 at 12 years and 184K miles:
X3 Int.JPG

And even more disheartening, my 1995 Club Sport at 24 years and 144k miles:
318ti Interior.JPG

What many folks fail to realize is a lot of owners of the high end vehicles are able to afford those repairs. For them it's a fair tradeoff for a vehicle that has better comfort, handling, suspension, power, etc than a lower end vehicle with more reliability.

Old comment : Cheapo plastics all over and I am told after 100K no one should touch the inside of the car - they just break down and brittle
Rephrase: Cheapo plastics all over the engine compartment and I am told after 100K no one should touch the inside of the engine bay - they just break down and brittle.

Old comment : Cheapo plastics all over and I am told after 100K no one should touch the inside of the car - they just break down and brittle[sic]
Rephrase: Cheapo plastics all over the engine compartment and I am told after 100K no one should touch the inside of the engine bay - they just break down and brittle[sic]

Your source for BMW information continues to amaze.
Of course my experience is quite limited, considering I’ve only owned 12 since 1983. That said, I have replaced a grand total of one failed radiator and a cracked expansion tank. And I am embarrassed to have to show a couple of photos that once again substantiate the information your source has been telling you- my Club Sport at 24 years and 144,000 miles:
52EF01F4-767E-4718-A496-7EEDAF5FB395.jpeg
AE6700B8-E8B1-4DE5-8900-32A7A9C184BE.jpeg

Total number of plastic parts replaced: 1- a wiring harness clip.

Ford by a long shot! They should include a complimentary toilet seat with every vehicle.
Nothing rots away like a Ford even a Yugo or Lada is better.

THIS! I cannot say it enough. Nothing rusts like a Ford.

I had a 2001 Taurus that was ready for the junkyard at 70K miles because the unibody just completely rusted out. Front subframe wasn't connected to anything because there was nothing left. My F350 was missing the bed support rails, rocker panels, wheel wells and had holes in the floor of the bed by 2009 with 50K miles when my dad parked it due to health issues. My old 2011 focus , at 6 years old, had rust holes in the trunk, no rocker panels left and rot holes in the floor! A friend of mine had a 2014 Focus that had rusted out wheel wells in 3 or 4 years. It's insane that Ford cannot make a steel bodied vehicle that doesn't rust away immediately.

Your source for BMW information continues to amaze.
Of course my experience is quite limited, considering I’ve only owned 12 since 1983. That said, I have replaced a grand total of one failed radiator and a cracked expansion tank. And I am embarrassed to have to show a couple of photos that once again substantiate the information your source has been telling you- my Club Sport at 24 years and 144,000 miles:
View attachment 30020View attachment 30021
Total number of plastic parts replaced: 1- a wiring harness clip.
Have you retired the Club Sport? I see you had a post 5 years ago and it had 143k miles, so 200 miles a year?

Back