Car audio problem, unsure of amp

I'm hooking up an amp to power a sub my son's car. I hooked up an amp but nothing works. I'm connecting it to rca outputs from stereo to amp. Nothing. Can I use a voltmeter to see if there's a signal going to amp through rca cables?

Last edited:
Never tried that, but if you set it to millivolt AC ( if your vom even has that) it should read.
You could also hook of some efficient earphones through and adapter you should get some sound.
I suspect the amp.
But you could test the amp with the HP output of a smart phone. Just start with a low level.
And of course make sure the amp is getting juice.

Why are you helping you kid hook up a subwoofer ? I though kids are good at that stuff with all their social networking- it's a learning experience.

I assume new amp? I'd check the fuse and that power is getting to it first, but yes when the source audio is playing you can measure for low, single digit voltage AC on the connector to see if audio is making it to the amp. No need for mV range unless you didn't turn the volume to a reasonable level.

Check fuse first and as mentioned do you have the remote turn on wire connected from head unit to amp. Normally a blue wire.

On some head units the blue wire is the power antenna and it only comes on when the radio is in use. Then there will also be a blue and white wire which comes on when it is turned on in any mode-- that is used to power up the amp.

You can detach the remote wire and jump the remote terminal on the amp to the battery + power input for testing. Amp should then power up.

I'm hooking up an amp to power a sub my son's car. I hooked up an amp but nothing works. I'm connecting it to rca outputs from stereo to amp. Nothing. Can I use a voltmeter to see if there's a signal going to amp through rca cables?
Did you get it all fixed up? This thread is hanging by a thread :)

Back