Can you wax a new exhaust system to keep it looking new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Just replacing the exhaust from the cat back with stock parts. Nothing stainless steel. Will putting on a coat of wax, at least on the rear muffler and pipe keep it looking shiny and new for a few months until I sell it? Or will it just burn off on the first drive?

Yeah- but don't forget to wax or lube those high speed muffler bearings, too

I saw "aluminized paint" from an industrial rattle can applied to a short vertical muffler on a tractor.

Had to have lasted 10 rust free years. "A metal powder and some kind of flux", somebody said.

It'd be a good coating to have for repairs.

Originally Posted by willbur
Just replacing the exhaust from the cat back with stock parts. Nothing stainless steel. Will putting on a coat of wax, at least on the rear muffler and pipe keep it looking shiny and new for a few months until I sell it? Or will it just burn off on the first drive?

Yeah- but don't forget to wax or lube those high speed muffler bearings, too

You could always wallpaper the interior.

If the tip is polished, you can wax it and it will help keep it looking new.

The whole system? No.

Your best bet is to make sure your drives are long enough to burn off any condensation in the exhaust.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by brages
wax is known for melting
confused2.gif

And on a 115 degree day in Phoenix with a black car parked in the sun and the roof is maybe 160 degrees?

Carnauba wax has a melting point of around 185 degrees. So your argument about 160 degrees isn't relevant, but the potential for melting on a 300-500 degree exhaust system does have relevance.

10 feet back from the engine it's nowhere near 300 degrees or it would have heat shields which these models doesn't.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Sprayed everything with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish as an experiment. Will see how it looks in a few weeks.

Would've been better off just hitting it with high-temp clear coat.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I prefer to sell to the other 10% that do.

Funny, you'd think a car flipper would prefer to sell to the first person with money in hand.
57.gif

This isn't just any car flipper, it's BITOG car flipper. The buyer has to appreciate the fresh coat of Meguiar's on that Impala exhaust! Make sure all the stones are picked out of the tires as well.

A sealant will work good to keep it looking nice. Some of the more expensive ones work good, but a solid budget sealant that will work wonders would be Nufinish....

The 10% that do care, would know that that car came from the factory with stainless steel exhaust, except for the muffler. And wonder why you replaced that stainless pipe from cat to muffler. They will be concerned it was damaged in a ditch run or on RR tracks or something. And then they will be concerned about the rest of the car.....

Originally Posted by Srt20

The 10% that do care, would know that that car came from the factory with stainless steel exhaust, except for the muffler. And wonder why you replaced that stainless pipe from cat to muffler. They will be concerned it was damaged in a ditch run or on RR tracks or something. And then they will be concerned about the rest of the car.....

This.

It's a welded system that GM doesn't have parts for and Walker says to replace everything from the cat back when replacing the muffler so I did.

It's a welded system that GM doesn't have parts for and Walker says to replace everything from the cat back when replacing the muffler so I did.

Well why wouldn't they want you to spend more $$$$.
I used to have an Impala that I put a new muffler on..... Just the muffler, not the stainless pipe.

Well why wouldn't they want you to spend more $$$$.
I used to have an Impala that I put a new muffler on..... Just the muffler, not the stainless pipe.

Did you wax the muffler before putting it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back