Can you wax a new exhaust system to keep it looking new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replacing the exhaust from the cat back with stock parts. Nothing stainless steel. Will putting on a coat of wax, at least on the rear muffler and pipe keep it looking shiny and new for a few months until I sell it? Or will it just burn off on the first drive?

It will burn off. If you're worried get some high heat paint and prep and paint it.

If I were going to go through the effort of doing that I'd try this. Cleans and protects.

https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-metal-polish.html

A few other products mentioned here:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/106712-wax-exhaust-pipes.html

autogeek_2268_159067025.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If you short trip, it'll still rust from the inside out from acid & condensation in the exhaust.

^^ This is very common on aluminized pipe - - rust eats away from the inside out

Originally Posted by brages
wax is known for melting
confused2.gif

And on a 115 degree day in Phoenix with a black car parked in the sun and the roof is maybe 160 degrees?

Originally Posted by atikovi
wax is known for melting
confused2.gif

And on a 115 degree day in Phoenix with a black car parked in the sun and the roof is maybe 160 degrees?

Carnauba wax has a melting point of around 185 degrees. So your argument about 160 degrees isn't relevant, but the potential for melting on a 300-500 degree exhaust system does have relevance.

Just replacing the exhaust from the cat back with stock parts. Nothing stainless steel. Will putting on a coat of wax, at least on the rear muffler and pipe keep it looking shiny and new for a few months until I sell it? Or will it just burn off on the first drive?

Any savvy car buyer is going to know if an exhaust system was replaced from the cat back within a few months. And if they can't tell, show them the receipt for the replacement parts.

What car is this for?

Originally Posted by Fawteen
wax is known for melting
confused2.gif

Carnauba wax has a melting point of around 185 degrees. So your argument about 160 degrees isn't relevant, but the potential for melting on a 300-500 degree exhaust system does have relevance.

10 feet back from the engine it's nowhere near 300 degrees or it would have heat shields which these models doesn't.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Sprayed everything with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish as an experiment. Will see how it looks in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back