can i use butt connectors to extend power/ground wires for hid relay kit?

Interesting discussion. I have never seen the use of wire nuts for automotive or marine use debated because I have never seen it considered an acceptable method. Lots of endless debate on solder vs. crimps. This company advertises wire nuts for auto and marine use. Learn something new every day at BITOG: https://www.sherco-auto.com/wire-nuts.html

Corrosion would be a concern with wire nuts vs. crimps that form a cold weld.

Our electricians use wire nuts in our greenhouse fan applications which have lots of vibration. Go figure. In the OP's situation, I would use high quality marine or aviation grade crimp terminals.

Last edited:
I’m using marine butt crimps on my headlamp relay harness. Just power philips h13 bulbs but visible Improvement over stock. I would be totally comfortable using them in your application as long as you have a proper crimping tool (vast majority really aren’t) and are using reasonable heavy wire (I have 12awg harness for 55/65watt).

I guess I have ask. Why can't you solder? It's not difficult or expensive to do. Solder and heat shrink would be how I would want to do it.

I guess I have ask. Why can't you solder? It's not difficult or expensive to do. Solder and heat shrink would be how I would want to do it.
You can solder if you use water tight heat shrink and extend the tube 1/2" on either side of the joint, but when you solder stranded wire the solder wicks up the wire and if there is any bending or vibration there is a chance that the strands will crack and break at the end of the wicking. This is lessened if you have bundled and supported wires.

Back