can i use butt connectors to extend power/ground wires for hid relay kit?

hey guys i got a new hid kit but this time i went with a relay kit so it pulls power from the battery terminals rather then the small harness wires.
the relay kit i have has a ground wire from each headlight and also a red power wire.

i dont have any good ground near the front headlights so i have to extend the ground wires so that they can reach a good ground. the power wire is also a little short to come to the battery.

i need to extend the wiring and was wondering what i should use? can i just use butt connectors like the ones u use for audio power but bigger ones? or can i use those twist on connectors or push in connectors?
(i cant solder)
what would you recommend for this job

thx

I'd avoid any splicing between the bulb and ballast. If you're just extending battery leads and soldering isn't an option, I might consider a posi-lock style connector.

Any will work correctly provided you get the right size but being a novice and with soldering not an option I recommend wire nuts reinforced with tape.

Yeah that's overkill but that will never work loose

yeah i wont be splicing between anything. the ground and the power wires are bare right now, so i am just going to extend them directly with more wire and some type of connector

seems like those twist connectors/wire nuts are common?

yeah i wont be splicing between anything. the ground and the power wires are bare right now, so i am just going to extend them directly with more wire and some type of connector

seems like those twist connectors/wire nuts are common?

If you are connecting 2 ( or more) wires together- you are splicing. (means the same)

If you are connecting 2 ( or more) wires together- you are splicing. (means the same)

oh yea sorry i was replying to the comment above about splicing between the bulb and ballast in which i wouldnt be, its just splicing the ground and power wires whcih are already bare

Are you retrofitting a tried-and-true set of HID or some Chinese-branded plug-and-play “kit”? Please, tell me it’s not the latter!

Heat shrink Butt splices are the preferred connection device for weather exposed, vibration subjected connections. Soldering stranded wire in vibration environments are more likely to break at the edges of the solder which in many cases is back under the insulation jacket. I would step the wire gauge up 1 size for the extention or more if its a long run.

Heat shrink Butt splices are the preferred connection device for weather exposed, vibration subjected connections. Soldering stranded wire in vibration environments are more likely to break at the edges of the solder which in many cases is back under the insulation jacket. I would step the wire gauge up 1 size for the extention or more if its a long run.

I would agree this is the best method.

Wire nuts can be used for either solid or stranded wires in a location where there is no significant vibration.

However, in an automobile environment with significant vibration, they are not recommended for wiring connections.

If you have no choice but to twist them together and solder them, then heat shrink tubing must be used to avoid electrical shorts.

Last edited:
Back