Can any team beat Golden State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Rockets will win and prevail victoriously in game #4 tomorrow.

Lol! Nobody's beaten GS in GS, and it won't happen tomorrow either...

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Originally Posted By: grampi
JustN89 said:
A funny thing happens when a 73 win team adds the second best player in the world to their roster- they become nearly impossible to beat.

As much as Golden State gets lauded as being one of the best teams ever put together, we should also remember that it is in large part because of a historic hike in salary cap (which will never happen again, at least at that scale) and a great player without an alpha instinct who wanted to win a championship and his contract just so happened to coincide with that historic salary cap hike.

GS is by far the best team in the NBA right now, but there were better teams in the past...the Jordan Bulls were better, the Bird Celtics were better, and I'm sure there were others too... [/quote

Different teams, different eras, different reliance and emphasis on the three, etc.,etc. When looked at in total, I don't think that ( individually or collectively in every area ) those Bulls or Celtics teams were better than the current GS team...it's kind of a mixed bag of superiority. IMO, the Bulls had more of a reliance on fewer players...does that make them better or not?? GS is supposedly a better rated defensive team than the 95-96 Bulls...I'm not sure if that would have mattered if Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman got to them where other teams didn't...but I realize on here "older" has to be better.

All I know is I'm happy that Oakland...er Golden State is saying they won't be changing their name back to San Francisco again when they move to SF in the next couple years. The significance of that might be lost on people who don't live here but I fully expected it.

Sorry, I gotta disagree with you...the Jordan led Bulls were the best team in NBA history...

Last edited:
JustN89 said:
A funny thing happens when a 73 win team adds the second best player in the world to their roster- they become nearly impossible to beat.

As much as Golden State gets lauded as being one of the best teams ever put together, we should also remember that it is in large part because of a historic hike in salary cap (which will never happen again, at least at that scale) and a great player without an alpha instinct who wanted to win a championship and his contract just so happened to coincide with that historic salary cap hike.

GS is by far the best team in the NBA right now, but there were better teams in the past...the Jordan Bulls were better, the Bird Celtics were better, and I'm sure there were others too... [/quote

Different teams, different eras, different reliance and emphasis on the three, etc.,etc. When looked at in total, I don't think that ( individually or collectively in every area ) those Bulls or Celtics teams were better than the current GS team...it's kind of a mixed bag of superiority. IMO, the Bulls had more of a reliance on fewer players...does that make them better or not?? GS is supposedly a better rated defensive team than the 95-96 Bulls...I'm not sure if that would have mattered if Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman got to them where other teams didn't...but I realize on here "older" has to be better.

All I know is I'm happy that Oakland...er Golden State is saying they won't be changing their name back to San Francisco again when they move to SF in the next couple years. The significance of that might be lost on people who don't live here but I fully expected it.

Sorry, I gotta disagree with you...the Jordan led Bulls were the best team in NBA history...

Maybe...but my point was these comparisons are always trotted out to supposedly be definitive that x team could beat y team in z era. The numbers, style of play, depth of the bench, etc. could make an argument that in the full circumstance of playing a series those things might mean more or less depending on a lot of factors.

Well it sure did now didn't it. They got beat and Houston recaptured home field advantage!

Originally Posted By: deven

Well it sure did now didn't it. They got beat and Houston recaptured home field advantage!

Houston has impressed me this series, but I still think GS will win it...

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: hatt
I can't believe how much I use to love basketball. Now I couldn't care less. Go bolts.

Amen brother! Whats with NBA giving teams like 3 days off between games. Thats a total sham

Lately it's been one day off. Which is pretty good when the last 3 games of a 7 series require travel.

Houston now looks like the unbeatable team...GS looks a lot like they did in the finals against CLE two years ago, which of course they lost...I don't see GS winning two in a row to take this series...

I am getting a chuckle now recalling all of the experts on the airwaves that guaranteed that GS would win easily and that Houston had zero chance to take the series. GS may still win, but not the way that the experts predicted.

Well it benefits the NBA, team owners when the series goes 7 games. So wouldn't surprised if GS is taking it easy to delay things a bit. How can GS go so cold all of a sudden. If they turn it on again it confirms my suspicion.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I am getting a chuckle now recalling all of the experts on the airwaves that guaranteed that GS would win easily and that Houston had zero chance to take the series. GS may still win, but not the way that the experts predicted.

I listen to Chris Russo on Mad Dog Sports almost every day and up until Hou took a 3-2 series lead, he's been saying there was no way Hou was winning this series. They still may lose, but I'm not confident GS can get a win in Hou...

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Well it benefits the NBA, team owners when the series goes 7 games. So wouldn't surprised if GS is taking it easy to delay things a bit. How can GS go so cold all of a sudden. If they turn it on again it confirms my suspicion.

The question I've been asking myself this entire series has been "can GS just flip a switch anytime they want?" I'm not convinced they can do it on the road...we'll find out Monday night...

I hope Cavaliers win tonight

Originally Posted By: car51

I hope Cavaliers win tonight

I was pulling for Boston...I think that would've made for a better final...

The globe trotters from the old cartoon would destroy golden state. They would pull their shorts down and make so many points while golden state was pulling their pants back up. If golden state tried to steal the ball back they would never find out that it was under the refs shirt because the trotters would be pointing and laughing like the ref is just a fat guy.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
The globe trotters from the old cartoon would destroy golden state. They would pull their shorts down and make so many points while golden state was pulling their pants back up. If golden state tried to steal the ball back they would never find out that it was under the refs shirt because the trotters would be pointing and laughing like the ref is just a fat guy.

And the tooth fairy is real...

If CP was healthy last night, they would have won. I'll never respect KD for how he left Thunder hanging like that.

It could be another "Will the 2016 or 2017 Warriors show up??" put up against LeBron and that whole dynamic again...Warriors are good at turning on the switch but IMO they're almost equally capable of a meltdown in the right circumstance as happened in 2016...but that's undoubtedly less likely now with Durant.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
If CP was healthy last night, they would have won. I'll never respect KD for how he left Thunder hanging like that.

I don't think they would have, plus if Ingudola (however it's spelled) would've been healthy for GS, this series wouldn't have gone 7 games...

It could be another "Will the 2016 or 2017 Warriors show up??" put up against LeBron and that whole dynamic again...Warriors are good at turning on the switch but IMO they're almost equally capable of a meltdown in the right circumstance as happened in 2016...but that's undoubtedly less likely now with Durant.

I think this version of GS is just a hair or two not as good as previous GS teams, but I also think this Cavs team is not as good as previous ones as well, so it's probably a push in that respect. CLE has the best player in all of basketball (today), but GS is far and away the better team. The better team wins out most of the time, and I don't this one will be any different...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back