can a dial torque wrench be use for wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been sorting a lot of tools i have accumulated over the years. one is a Blackhawk 1/2 dial torque wrench. seeing it does not click , can use it to torque lug nuts?

What is its operating range (torque values)?

My guess is the actual value might be hard to read while you're tightening the wheels. A clicky one is much easier to use on wheels.

You can, but it makes it more difficult since you have to keep an eye on the wrench. I like those for building engines on a stand. Click type are generally the best for tires since you get the positive sound when you reach the desired value.

Good luck trying to read the dial leaned over to see it while using it. Tried it 40 years ago when all I had was a beam style torque wrench, and it is too much trouble.

As others have said, yes you can but trying to read it is going to be a pain. Get a split beam type, there is no need to zero it out every time you use it.

Edit: Put that old timer on the shelf as a conversation piece, you cant trust something almost 100 yrs old to be anywhere close to accurate. The reliability of the parts at that age is another story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
As others have said, yes you can but trying to read it is going to be a pain. Get a split beam type, there is no need to zero it out every time you use it.

Edit: Put that old timer on the shelf as a conversation piece, you cant trust something almost 100 yrs old to be anywhere close to accurate. The reliability of the parts at that age is another story.

ok. gonna order a split beam soon . so what are these dial ones usually used for? you must be jesting that it is 100 year old. i thought is from the 60's. i paid $10 for it a few years ago. i tested it with my digital adapter and it was only a couple of pounds off .

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by Trav

ok. gonna order a split beam soon . so what are these dial ones usually used for? you must be jesting that it is 100 year old. i thought is from the 60's. i paid $10 for it a few years ago. i tested it with my digital adapter and it was only a couple of pounds off .

The link has it from the 20's..

BlackHawk ½" Torque Wrench/Indicator - Vintage - Antique - 1920's

Dial type wrenches are for things like head, main, rod bolts/nuts. Some have a memory needle which can be very useful for setting bearing pre-load and transmission bands.
The vast majority of German tire shops I have gone to use split beams exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back