camry hybird 2018 oil -us.japan.china manul

Status
Not open for further replies.
The differences between countries can be so great(us:0w16 only)?i am in china…please help me…What should I choose

It looks like most weights are approved in your country, go with whatevers available. If youre within the temperature range, 5/30, 5/20, 0/xx works fine. Does the Chinese manual say anything having to use 0/16 like it does in the US one? Even the weight/temperature charts are different.

Toyota says 0W-20 can be used in "emergencies" in the US owner's manual, but the Chinese and JDM ones is saying others can be used. The new A25A engine was designed around 0W-16 but Toyota realizes it's not available everywhere. Unlike Honda with thin oil clearances in the first 2 Insights and Civic Hybrid, Toyota is using a variable-output oil pump and polymer-coated bearings.

Use a 0W-20 or 5W-20. The viscometrics of the xxW-20s are close to the 0W-16 fill. You might lose a few tenths of MPG. Just keep an eye that the CEL doesn't turn on for a oil pump related code if the ECU/PCM is keeping tabs on the pump via PID/monitor or duty cycle.

0w16 - 5w40, it sounds to me like the engineers designed it to run on 0w16 only and they know best!
lol.gif
Just more EPA horse manure. Truth is it can use almost anything found on any store shelf, it was designed with xw nothing in mind.

In Shanghai? You are probably going to be fine running 0w20 or 5w20 even. I don't think 0w16 will make a difference there, not cold enough.

I wouldn't run anything 10w30 or 5w30 though.

Simple answer... US manual complies with C.A.F.E. - other country’s manual provides more options based on temps. The US manual even concedes that a higher viscosity may be better suited if operated at higher speeds or loads. Take it for what you wish. I run Mobil 1 0w40 in my Prius. Still get 50mpg just fine.

Last edited:
I would just use whatever is specified in your booklet for your region. However I would not use Chinese manufactured oil

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
I would just use whatever is specified in your booklet for your region. However I would not use Chinese manufactured oil

I'd take a certified Chinese synthetic over an imported dino. What do you think their cars come from the factory with? The OEM sure as heck won't import oil and pay 2x for it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Jaha24k

I'd take a certified Chinese synthetic over an imported dino. What do you think their cars come from the factory with? The OEM sure as heck won't import oil and pay 2x for it.

Panda tears

Originally Posted By: Trav
0w16 - 5w40, it sounds to me like the engineers designed it to run on 0w16 only and they know best!
lol.gif
Just more EPA horse manure. Truth is it can use almost anything found on any store shelf, it was designed with xw nothing in mind.

Well put. So much for a specially designed engine made to run on 'thinner' grade oils. OP I'd run a synthetic oil, either 0W30 or 5W30 in it, which ever is cheaper and/or easier to get in China.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Trav
lol.gif

Well put. So much for a specially designed engine made to run on 'thinner' grade oils. OP I'd run a synthetic oil, either 0W30 or 5W30 in it, which ever is cheaper and/or easier to get in China.

Being that GM is paradoxically the biggest car maker in China, it shouldn't be hard to find a dexos1 approved oil. And I did see Sinopec as well as a few other Chinese refiners make the D1G2 list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back