Campy is getting way more affordable;$150wheelsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ordered a pair of Khamsin cx (cyclocross), and it came with free shipping, airmail across the atlantic, from england! I don't know how they do that given how pricy even domestic shipping is these days. Very sleek and solid wheelset.

To anyone in the market for a 700c wheelset, they've now dropped the price even further so that the non-cx models are now $140 which is dirt cheap.
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-wheels/campagnolo-khamsin-wheelset/10781629.html

The cx rear wheel has sealed freewheel bearings, so unfortunately they no longer make tht distinct and loud campy noise. If anyone gets this, I'd be curious to hear if the regular model still makes any noise even remotely resembling the old campys.

Why not? It makes a lot of sense in the rear to transmit drive torque. For every triplet pair, two of the spokes transmit the torque from the axle to the rims, and the opposing spoke is there for lateral force from the rim or to keep the wheel trued.

What I don't understand is that in some campy wheelsets they also use this G3 spoke pattern on the front wheel; there is no drive torque and no reason to break lateral symmetry on the front wheel IMO, and I'm pretty baffled why they do this. I've heard that one advantage of clustering the three so close together is some aerodynamic advantage; I can't see this being significant at all and that should be no reason to break symmetry on the front wheel.

While I agree with buck on the aesthetics of the clustered tri-spoke rear pattern, I agree with ueberooo on Campy's engineering reasons for doing this on the REAR WHEEL ONLY!!

In ANY case, I did not believe that price until I clicked onto the link.
Even for 'out of print' wheels, they are practically giving those away, as you can barley get a bolt from Campy for that little coin nowadays!!
crazy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Why not? It makes a lot of sense in the rear to transmit drive torque. For every triplet pair, two of the spokes transmit the torque from the axle to the rims, and the opposing spoke is there for lateral force from the rim or to keep the wheel trued.

What I don't understand is that in some campy wheelsets they also use this G3 spoke pattern on the front wheel; there is no drive torque and no reason to break lateral symmetry on the front wheel IMO, and I'm pretty baffled why they do this. I've heard that one advantage of clustering the three so close together is some aerodynamic advantage; I can't see this being significant at all and that should be no reason to break symmetry on the front wheel.

Please show me a Campy factory built wheelset with the G3 pattern on a front wheel.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back