Caliper slide pin

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by Silk
Yes, and some have none, and Toyota have it on the trailing pin. Confusion will be your epitaph.

How come some have it on the bottom only?

It depends on how much dampening you need. But most cars have the bushing on the leading pin.

It is confusing when I saw some honda and lexus have it on the bottom.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Silk
Yes, and some have none, and Toyota have it on the trailing pin. Confusion will be your epitaph.

How come some have it on the bottom only?

It depends on how much dampening you need. But most cars have the bushing on the leading pin.

It is confusing when I saw some honda and lexus have it on the bottom.

Depends on the location of the caliper. Not all calipers are mounted in the same position.

Originally Posted by nobb
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Interesting topic! What type of grease causes the rubber bushing to swell?

Permatex green states they are compatible with rubbers and other brake parts, but I'm pretty sure it made my bushings expand and seize. I'm sticking with Silglyde now.

Any color of the Permatex goop,green,purple, red or whatever will swell the pin bushing. Know from experience.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by nobb
Interesting topic! What type of grease causes the rubber bushing to swell?

Permatex green states they are compatible with rubbers and other brake parts, but I'm pretty sure it made my bushings expand and seize. I'm sticking with Silglyde now.

Any color of the Permatex goop,green,purple, red or whatever will swell the pin bushing. Know from experience.

Yea I've suspected the same. Pretty [censored] of them considering the brake system has several rubber/elastomeric components.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Noise, vibration, does nothing, no one knows, .... There's varying opinions on them. This gets asked a fair amount....

Right, I am here to find out the reason why.

Well, did you get your answer ? I think my "answer" above is pretty fair and accurate !
grin.gif

Has anyone tried Permatex's new orange "Silicone Ceramic Brake Lubricant"? The marketing on their website states that it is compatible with most brake system plastic and rubber components. Purple and Green are now stated as being for "metal to metal contact only."

I've had Purple swell the bushings on my brakes as well so am curious if they finally solved the issue with Orange.

Noise, vibration, does nothing, no one knows, .... There's varying opinions on them. This gets asked a fair amount....

Right, I am here to find out the reason why.

Well, did you get your answer ? I think my "answer" above is pretty fair and accurate !
grin.gif

Yes, thank you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dk1604
Has anyone tried Permatex's new orange "Silicone Ceramic Brake Lubricant"? The marketing on their website states that it is compatible with most brake system plastic and rubber components. Purple and Green are now stated as being for "metal to metal contact only."

I've had Purple swell the bushings on my brakes as well so am curious if they finally solved the issue with Orange.

I now use only Permatex Purple for metal to metal contacts and 3M Silicone paste for caliper slide pins.

Interesting topic! What type of grease causes the rubber bushing to swell? When I did my VW and changed out the caliper carriers for larger ones to up my rotor size, I noted where the bushings were (top or bottom) before the swap. I used some Motorcraft silicone brake caliper grease I had but had heard to only use the TRW caliper grease or the bushings would swell. Any comments?

I like the idea above on why there is only one bushing (top or bottom) - v. interesting/wouldn't have thought of that.

Your mk7 doesn't use a slide pin bushing. the rubber on the caliper carrier is a boot to hold the grease.

[Linked Image from rockauto.com]

versus the older cars having actual guide pin bushings on the front caliper.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Interesting topic! What type of grease causes the rubber bushing to swell? When I did my VW and changed out the caliper carriers for larger ones to up my rotor size, I noted where the bushings were (top or bottom) before the swap. I used some Motorcraft silicone brake caliper grease I had but had heard to only use the TRW caliper grease or the bushings would swell. Any comments?

I like the idea above on why there is only one bushing (top or bottom) - v. interesting/wouldn't have thought of that.

Your mk7 doesn't use a slide pin bushing. the rubber on the caliper carrier is a boot to hold the grease.

versus the older cars having actual guide pin bushings on the front caliper.

One of them (top or bottom...cna't recall) has a black bushing on the slide pin under that rubber boot and one does not - that's what I thought this was talking about.

Back