California fire smoke in our backyard

Picture is from a week ago. Excuse the poor quality. I could not figure out how to merge the pictures. Instead, I opened them both up and took a picture of my screen. :-/

FWIW,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4252.jpeg
    IMG_4252.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 99
You will have to pardon me for my apparent prejudice but what is it that attracts people to move to and/or live in CA? Fires, crazy government, high real estate and rental prices, high taxes, clogged roads, everything causes cancer, etc etc. Why not just move over to AZ or NM, TX or another state?

You will have to pardon me for my apparent prejudice but what is it that attracts people to move to and/or live in CA? Fires, crazy government, high real estate and rental prices, high taxes, clogged roads, everything causes cancer, etc etc. Why not just move over to AZ or NM, TX or another state?
I hear you and you're not alone in your thoughts, but it's worked out well for us. I've been in CA since 1958, and my wife is a 3rd gen Cali girl. We bought our first home in 1976, which got us in the game. Along with high CA prices comes high salaries, at least for the careers she and I had. Traffic is not a problem unless you live in the LA, the SF Bay Area, or Sac. Where we live we have views like this, just 5 miles from our house. I kind of like it.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpeg
    IMG_1185.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 49
Weather, jobs, cultural diversity and food.

I love California. For me, the benefits of living here outweigh the negatives by far. My cars smell currently like kippers and I could do without that. I'm off today and will go surfing for a couple of hours. :)

San Fransisco has a lot of tech jobs there. It's mainly young people who move there to work for big tech companies for a few years.

I visited it last year. I didn't like it. I can understand living there a few years, but I do not see the benefit of settling down there now.

San Fransisco has a lot of tech jobs there. It's mainly young people who move there to work for big tech companies for a few years.

I visited it last year. I didn't like it. I can understand living there a few years, but I do not see the benefit of settling down there now.
I've lived in CA since 1958. There's San Francisco, and there's the rest of the state. Also, there's San Francisco "back then", and there's San Francisco "now". My wife and I last visited "The City" for an overnight stay 15 years ago. BTW, NEVER call it "Frisco", you'll get thrown out of bars. I worked in The City in an office on the 32nd floor of Embarcadero #4 when the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake hit. Scared to heck out of us, and that is a huge understatement. All of us thought we were going to die. To top it off, we lived in Los Gatos, the epicenter. Our house got trashed. It took a year to fix it.

Scott

Atascadero - Paso Robles - San Miguel had a few days of the worst air quality on Earth, AQI was 400-800! The fire was over 100 miles away but the air currents blew it in and held it here. We normally average some of the best air quality in the US.
Northern, Central, and Southern California are distinctly different areas both geographically and culturally. Don’t make the mistake of lumping it all together.

Opportunity for high paying modern tech jobs.

The smoke is bad. Everyone's eyes ache. Everyone has a nagging cough.

I live in a small town in Silicon Valley. The opportuniry here is like nowhere else in the world.
I made every mistake in the world. I didn't get sober until I was 33. I should have been dead or in prison.
In most places, my life choices, starting so late, with nothing, would be slim to none.
Let's just say, with CA's opportunity, things worked out OK.
I love it here.

Yikes, the smoke must be awful to deal with right now.

Boomer, quite a few leaving CA for sure. You can feel/see it here in Phoenix, lot of folks from California. Heck, half the people on my street are from CA. Can't say I blame them but unfortunately it's making Phoenix way more populated and congested. People are moving here from all over, fastest growing city right now. Part of the reason we're moving up North this month :) Unfortunate that CA is so poorly run, it has a lot to offer!

The smoke is bad. Everyone's eyes ache. Everyone has a nagging cough.

I live in a small town in Silicon Valley. The opportuniry here is like nowhere else in the world.
I made every mistake in the world. I didn't get sober until I was 33. I should have been dead or in prison.
In most places, my life choices, starting so late, with nothing, would be slim to none.
Let's just say, with CA's opportunity, things worked out OK.
I love it here.

Good for you Jeff, congrats on turning things around! I know alot of folks dislike CA, but just like everything else it's all about perspective.

Back