California drivers and weather

It is not just California.
Most US drivers wouldn’t last a week in Germany.
I also feel the states with no safety inspection are foolish and endangering other drivers by letting unsafe cars travel the roads.

An economist would say we don’t price in risk and skill correctly.
A bad driver should bear his full cost but we instead spread the cost among those who aren’t much of a risk but who can pay.

Oh but we have strict emissions testing.
Here on the opposite coast the safety inspection is as strict as emissions.
An economist would say we don’t price in risk and skill correctly.
A bad driver should bear his full cost but we instead spread the cost among those who aren’t much of a risk but who can pay.
I’m not even going there…… or I’ll be getting banned for a while.

Even in Iowa, with 30-40 inches of snow per year, there are people driving with bald tires.
It's not a state thing. Probably can't afford new tires, with this economy.

Do they crown the roads? When I drove through rural NV the roads were spirit-level flat. Easier to build that way, I'm sure, but they don't shed water.

When I was a kid in the 80s, interstates had a black stripe down the middle of each lane. From oil when all cars were RWD and had rope rear main seals. Now there's not so much of that here, but you might have it there, since cars don't die of rust.

So you've got oil slicks, bald tires, no road crown, and people who don't slow down. Yippie!

Even in Iowa, with 30-40 inches of snow per year, there are people driving with bald tires.
It's not a state thing. Probably can't afford new tires, with this economy.
But when its icy, they slow down 5 mph over the posted speed limit and some even turn off the cruise control!

A lot of dust builds up on the roads and turns to slime after a rain. This Midwest boy looped his truck around in an intersection in Hanford, CA after a minor rain shower giving it the beans in a left turn situation in a fairly new 2001 Ram. It totally caught me off guard, my being new to CA.

Sadly, the speeding is so out of control that you have elected officials now trying to pass legislation to limit the speed that vehicles can even be capable of driving!

Ed
This is going to happen in the next decade on new vehicles. No reason for it not too in many new cars, its just a software update.
The voices to limit speed in cars is growing by leaps and bounds. One day it will be common in all states or from the Fed.

Back