CAFE Standards in the US and Oil Grades

Exactly, lots of reserve then, right? I don't even fear a loss of 60% in case of the stoich engines, no way. Just saying that I'd accept it as a price for no longer pumping the unnecessary fuel.

That sounds like the "It is what is is" fallacy. The newer engines are extracting the horsepower they extract on the oils they're mandated to use.
Is there any evidence that they cannot extract more horsepower on heavier grades? And if there is...what does it have to do with protection for the 'Motoring Public'?

Fallacy and conjecture. When has a oil proven to add any meaningful power?

As for protection, it’s there.

I am done here. It’s poor etiquette to make a comment and then edit it after the fact. This thread will go in circles like the hundreds of T vs T threads before it.

Me? I seem to be the one, but don't see the problem.

I'm more often editing than not. And don't necessarily stop even if I notice an answer to it in the meantime. Anyway, I never meant it as "ironic" and don't really see the problem here with me.

It's been against the law of nature in the last century when static compression ratios got reduced for emissions reduction and I don't see why it couldn't be against the law of nature once more now. If a reduction of power facilitated both at the same time – bingo. If power needed to be reduced for just making more efficient viscosity grades sufficient – still better than nothing. No power reductions at all? Mmh... (Just a finger twist of irony here.)

Motoring Public is much like BITOG as this dinosaur dancing its tricks on not much more than three distinct canisters. It will survive, won't it?

Adding the third variable kind of made it the first of those threads of the new generation :)

Last edited:
The average price of gasoline in the UK is $5.56 a gallon. They control fuel usage at the political level by taxing it to three times the price I am paying here. The price of 0W-20 motor oil on the other is no more than 5W-30.

I have seen this come up time and time again, but after looking at owner manual information from around the world, on the same car, with the same engine - the US specs the lightest oil and even use words like "you can use this oil, but switch back immediately." Even Scotty Kilmer claims that if you don't use a lighter (0W-16) in your car with variable valve timing, you can damage your engine. As I have seen here, the less viscous weights are driven by the CAFE standards in the US and there is research from the late 90s that was collated by ORNL that 5W-20 is 1.5% more fuel efficient as compared to 5W-30. Even on a hypothetical car that is rated at 30 mpg, this would result in an observed efficiency of 30.45 mpg when switching to the lighter weights. Most of us would never notice the difference.

Here are some engines that I have found different oil specs for the US as compared to the rest of the world:
2ZR-FXE - GenIII Prius (2010 to 2015) US 0W-20; UK Corolla Hybrid 5W-30
M20A-FKS - 2019+ Corolla US 0W-16; UK 5W-20/30
2GR-FKS - 2017+ Tacoma US 0W-20; UK 5W-30
A25A-FKS - 2018+ Camry US 0W-16; UK 5W-30

1) There is absolutely no way that a manufacturer makes a different engine in the US as compared to the rest of the world. This would be cost prohibitive and a supply chain nightmare.
2) Even if you you used the heavier weight oil, you definitely wouldn't damage your engine - the manufacturer has obviously tested multiple grades for wear, longevity, and efficiency.

My guess is that you could use 5W-30 in practically 90% of passenger cars in the US. So why is there such an attitude of "USE WHATS IN YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL, OR ELSE!!!" and why is the language so strong in the US manuals?

Do other countries spec heavier oil for lower emissions?

Troll with 9 posts says wut?

Troll with 9 posts says wut?
As my mother would say, "What does that have to do with the price of cheese?"

I am legitimately curious why viscosities are spec'ed differently in different parts of the world. Carbon dioxide is not the only by-product of combustion and in the US, efficiency is further driven down by the 10% ethanol we use in our fuel since it is less energy-dense than gasoline hydrocarbons.

I have seen this come up time and time again, but after looking at owner manual information from around the world, on the same car, with the same engine - the US specs the lightest oil and even use words like "you can use this oil, but switch back immediately." Even Scotty Kilmer claims that if you don't use a lighter (0W-16) in your car with variable valve timing, you can damage your engine. As I have seen here, the less viscous weights are driven by the CAFE standards in the US and there is research from the late 90s that was collated by ORNL that 5W-20 is 1.5% more fuel efficient as compared to 5W-30. Even on a hypothetical car that is rated at 30 mpg, this would result in an observed efficiency of 30.45 mpg when switching to the lighter weights. Most of us would never notice the difference.

Here are some engines that I have found different oil specs for the US as compared to the rest of the world:
2ZR-FXE - GenIII Prius (2010 to 2015) US 0W-20; UK Corolla Hybrid 5W-30
M20A-FKS - 2019+ Corolla US 0W-16; UK 5W-20/30
2GR-FKS - 2017+ Tacoma US 0W-20; UK 5W-30
A25A-FKS - 2018+ Camry US 0W-16; UK 5W-30

1) There is absolutely no way that a manufacturer makes a different engine in the US as compared to the rest of the world. This would be cost prohibitive and a supply chain nightmare.
2) Even if you you used the heavier weight oil, you definitely wouldn't damage your engine - the manufacturer has obviously tested multiple grades for wear, longevity, and efficiency.

My guess is that you could use 5W-30 in practically 90% of passenger cars in the US. So why is there such an attitude of "USE WHATS IN YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL, OR ELSE!!!" and why is the language so strong in the US manuals?

Do other countries spec heavier oil for lower emissions?

You make a good observation. The 4.0 in my 4Runner, for example, is specified for up to 20w-50 elsewhere in the world. 0w-20 here in the States.

For US vehicles, the owner's manual is required to list only the oil used in mpg testing. Some manufacturers get around this by saying a thicker oil may be required for adequate lubrication in heavy duty use. Words are mine, but the concept is in many manuals.

In some countries they specify thinner, in some they don't.

Agree that many or most vehicles vehicles will be totally fine with a 20 grade. However there is the fact that Ford moved from a 20 back to a 30 grade in their truck line.

And it's a misconception that engine clearances are "designed for thinner oil" because when you look at bearing clearances for instance between an engine made in 2020 vs one made in 1980 they have the same design clearances for all practical purposes. That's why you can run anything from 0W-20 to 20W-50 in the same engine and it's not going to "blow-up".

My guess is that you could use 5W-30 in practically 90% of passenger cars in the US.

Totally agree ... if there could only be one oil sold in the world it would most likely be 5W-30 or 0W-30.

I am legitimately curious why viscosities are spec'ed differently in different parts of the world.

Added engine wear protection instead of a hair more fuel economy when there's no CAFE to control what oil viscosity is used.

I have never noticed oil grade having any effect on fuel consumption. What I have noticed is fuel consumption varies noticeably depending on the size of the vehicle and/or engine, and the speed I travel at. Control of those variables will reduce national fuel consumption considerably....for those countries able to do so.

In UK and EU Vauxhall/Opel Insigna B with 1.5T engine which is the exact same one in GM product line in USA. Across the pond spec 5w30 primary and 0w20 second. Either can be used. The big difference is oil change intervals 1 yr or 15k.

For my 2017+.... Pages 288-290...

I dont see 0w20..... 0w&5w&10w....in sae30&40 :)

Dexos1 or Dexos2 (for diesels)....those are usually coupled with at least MB 229.51 or bmw LL-04 over here....

You make a good observation. The 4.0 in my 4Runner, for example, is specified for up to 20w-50 elsewhere in the world. 0w-20 here in the States.

For US vehicles, the owner's manual is required to list only the oil used in mpg testing. Some manufacturers get around this by saying a thicker oil may be required for adequate lubrication in heavy duty use. Words are mine, but the concept is in many manuals.

In some countries they specify thinner, in some they don't.

Agree that many or most vehicles vehicles will be totally fine with a 20 grade. However there is the fact that Ford moved from a 20 back to a 30 grade in their truck line.
Good post jburg. I find this subject fascinating. I'm always comparing oil specs from other regions around the world to ours here. For example my Accord's Australian recommendations are 0W20-15W40. I meet it in the middle and use 10W30. I did a uoa with Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 and there were literally zero wear metals. The Acura TSX which has the exact same engine (just has a slightly hotter tune) as my Accord is spec'd for 5W30.

Oil grades are spec'd for the intended use of the vehicle. An economy car with the same engine that's fitted to an SUV or pickup truck will be spec'd with a different grade. Countries outside the US are slow to adapting lower grade oils. But they will. I suspect Americans put a lot more miles on their vehicles so fuel economy, and emmisions, becomes a priority with consumers, manufacturers and the government.

The United States is a far harsher climate than Europe so it is kind of silly to compare their choice of oil. Temperatures here range from 115F to -45F. It is a huge country. Many parts are extremely arid and dusty, while others are wet. Cherry picking an owners manual to claim that some other country's oil recommendation is right and your own country's is wrong, is unconvincing.

Back