Cable company wants to rent me a new box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! I have been cable/satellite-free for over two years now. Get a ROKU Player and stream various TV offerings. With a laptop connected to your main TV, you can stream much-much more.

Only things I miss from cable/satellite TV subscriptions are my MLB, NHL and NBA home teams. The NFL still shows their games on free antenna TV (Detroit).

I used to be a heavy sports watcher with ESPN. after having a new baby, I'm pretty busy with her. she will be 2 on 12/1, but I don't miss cutting the cord. comcast tried to pull the same thing on me three months ago and I dropped them. they said the cable box I got was getting free HD channels and I would have had to pay an extra 10 bucks a month to keep it or they would block those channels. dropped them like a rock. Luckily, my internet is paid by my job since I work at home. If I change jobs, I would go to u-verse internet instead. comcast is the worst. since comcast bought NBC, your cable is help paying those actors who make 100k an episode or more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Also: Who makes a good over the air antenna? I'd prefer to have one that works inside my house.

I've been cable TV free for about 8 months now, and am really enjoying it. We pay on the order of 50 bucks/month for our broadband connection, across which we stream Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime through a couple of Roku boxes. We watch OTA television with an Antennas Direct DB4e. More detail can be found here, which is actually part of a thread I started on getting off cable that turned out to be nine pages of very helpful information:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3030664

Good luck with your transition, if you do intend to get off cable TV completely. (I tried the indoor set-top antenna and all I got was a very grainy PBS station, which was quite close to us. It was a total non-starter.)

ClearQAM probably only gets MPEG-2 compression like the ATSC standard.

Fun fact, cable companies resample broadcast TV, so if a station has a HD .1 and SD .2, cable can choose to ignore the .2 and "smoosh" the .1 into less space... less space than the 6 MHz.

This isn't good enough... MPEG-4 can fit more junk in the same bandwidth, but isn't clearQAM. Dish and DirecTV also use MPEG4 and have pretty much had to to get enough transponder space for hundreds of local-into-local channels.

Long story short, Comcast wanted bandwidth for other stuff besides your TV... internet, phone, more TV channels you can't watch. Your stuff got bumped. Also your cable box tells the company what you watch (and record), which they turn around and sell to anyone who asks. They're going to keep doing this until customers tell them to go [censored] in a hat.

Broadcast TV used to go up to channel 83, then 69, now 51. The rest of that spectrum got gobbled up by cell phone companies and they're still hungry for more and are lobbying for it. The frequencies available to the cable company are only dictated by the quality of the RG6, switch gear, and expense in cable boxes to handle it all.

I find it offensive whenever I visit someone with cable, that they have to chuck their OE TV remote in a drawer and use the cable company's clunky universal remote to run the box, as the TV is neutered and unable to change its own channels! Even funnier, sometimes those remotes rent out at $4/ month!

I would find it interesting, that since a vast majority of the cable pipe is still "TV, receive only", if a hybrid cable box will come out that uses a satellite input as well as a cable one. It'd be an engineering masterpiece but marketing disaster... as cable has spent the last 15 years saying "You don't want that ugly (18 inch) dish making your house look ghetto."

> works in broadcast TV

Originally Posted By: eljefino
ClearQAM probably only gets MPEG-2 compression like the ATSC standard.

Fun fact, cable companies resample broadcast TV, so if a station has a HD .1 and SD .2, cable can choose to ignore the .2 and "smoosh" the .1 into less space... less space than the 6 MHz.

This isn't good enough... MPEG-4 can fit more junk in the same bandwidth, but isn't clearQAM. Dish and DirecTV also use MPEG4 and have pretty much had to to get enough transponder space for hundreds of local-into-local channels.

Long story short, Comcast wanted bandwidth for other stuff besides your TV... internet, phone, more TV channels you can't watch. Your stuff got bumped. Also your cable box tells the company what you watch (and record), which they turn around and sell to anyone who asks. They're going to keep doing this until customers tell them to go [censored] in a hat.

Broadcast TV used to go up to channel 83, then 69, now 51. The rest of that spectrum got gobbled up by cell phone companies and they're still hungry for more and are lobbying for it. The frequencies available to the cable company are only dictated by the quality of the RG6, switch gear, and expense in cable boxes to handle it all.

I find it offensive whenever I visit someone with cable, that they have to chuck their OE TV remote in a drawer and use the cable company's clunky universal remote to run the box, as the TV is neutered and unable to change its own channels! Even funnier, sometimes those remotes rent out at $4/ month!

I would find it interesting, that since a vast majority of the cable pipe is still "TV, receive only", if a hybrid cable box will come out that uses a satellite input as well as a cable one. It'd be an engineering masterpiece but marketing disaster... as cable has spent the last 15 years saying "You don't want that ugly (18 inch) dish making your house look ghetto."

> works in broadcast TV

Why exactly does using a universal remote offend you? Not to mention TVs don't come with most of the abilities that set tops do. IE on screen guide, onDemand, and if they have a DVR, DVR functions.

Also no, that is not quite true as far as frequencies availagble to cable company. There is specific spectrum that is owned by cable companies to use. And most cable plants operate between 5-1000mhz. DOCSIS takes up the middle portion of that for internet. Which is the reason that everything is going to digital for TV: digital channels take up only a fraction of the space that analog ones do.

But to be frank, cable companies are in a [censored] if you do, [censored] if you don't position. People demand faster internet speeds. So when they transition to digital so they have more bandidth available in the cable plant to do it, people complain because they need to get an adaptor or whatever with the argument that "_I_ didn't want faster internet. why do I have to be inconvenienced for other people!?"

Because it's ONE CABLE PLANT for EVERYONE. But people don't think want to think like that. They want to think that they are special, and the only customer so everything should be done to get them what they want exactly as they want it, everyone else be [censored]. "I don't see the value in more HD channels/better HD/faster internet so therefor I don't want any changes to be made to provide those for anyone else either"

See the problem with that kind of attitude?

Last edited:
People would also get faster internet/ phone if they had more fiber-to-RF hubs, so the same frequencies could be reused the next town over. Cable could easily deploy this if they felt the ROI was worth it.

Cable is a premium ($$$) way of getting people their video signals, and I can understand the customers not wanting change and being crotchety about it. If someone wanted a digital box... they could get Dish or DirecTV. For all I know there are VCRs and TIVOs still out there that are programmed to the analog RF in channels, that work "well enough".

32.gif
Back in the day when a HDTV was $2k, I visited family whose cable company hooked an HD box up with RF cable and everyone suffered a SD signal with mono audio modulated on channel 3.
frown.gif
I set them up with the proper HDMI cable, at hefty impulse-buy pricing from radio shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back