C-130

Astro14, maybe I'm slip'n. It's been a minute since I've been in the mighty Herk. I'll walk across the hall tonight and ask my EC-130 brethren what they think of the situation. They're still flying legacy, so not exactly the same, but they got a big payload and all the antennas. Didn't hear how much fuel the incident aircraft had onboard or how much they were able to dump with 2 eng out and possibly on fire.

Last edited:
Yes, I've flown many different aircraft, but now you want all the details... Your comment was in bad taste and ill informed. I expect more out of a staff member...
I do, actually, want more details. You seem to have them, so, please, tell us what you know about the incident.

Please stay on topic, or this will be locked.

Second point is if you post something don't have a fit if someone asks questions.

Don't want to answer don't post.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
The old DC-6's are a better plane.
Then there is this one that is a recent downing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Chilean_Air_Force_C-130_crash
The stronger airframe was C-97/ KC-97 much better than a C-130.

The DC-6 had a horrific crash record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_Douglas_DC-6

Notably killing presidents of countries, the UN Secretary General, Dag Hammarakjold, and generally without survivors after in flight fires. The turbo-charged engines had a terrible reliability record, and caught fire or failed with depressing regularity.

Several crashes per year. Several dozen crashes during its brief 12 year production run.

You can't be serious in your claim that the DC-6 was better...

Most all crashes in the old days 1950's thru 1970's, was due to lack of air traffic control and navigation system. As we speak DC-6's are working and making money, hauling supplies, fuel and such, daily. And during the time they've been working how many C-130's have bit the dust so to say? Oh and even with the over priced fuel, they are still orders of magnitude cheaper to operate than any turbine powered plane.

there is one sitting along US1 somewhere near Cocoa Beach Fl
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
The old DC-6's are a better plane.
Then there is this one that is a recent downing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Chilean_Air_Force_C-130_crash
The stronger airframe was C-97/ KC-97 much better than a C-130.

The DC-6 had a horrific crash record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_Douglas_DC-6

Notably killing presidents of countries, the UN Secretary General, Dag Hammarakjold, and generally without survivors after in flight fires. The turbo-charged engines had a terrible reliability record, and caught fire or failed with depressing regularity.

Several crashes per year. Several dozen crashes during its brief 12 year production run.

You can't be serious in your claim that the DC-6 was better...

Most all crashes in the old days 1950's thru 1970's, was due to lack of air traffic control and navigation system. As we speak DC-6's are working and making money, hauling supplies, fuel and such, daily. And during the time they've been working how many C-130's have bit the dust so to say? Oh and even with the over priced fuel, they are still orders of magnitude cheaper to operate than any turbine powered plane.
I got a chance to wander around one sitting by the road near Cocoa Beach Fla. It must have been some sort of attraction or display for a long while. It’s worth the stop for a gawk if you’re going by. One thing I sure wouldn’t have liked in the day was those gasoline heating systems they used to heat the cabin. I always wanted to draw a Jeep that had one of those when I was in the army and never got that 🥶 lucky. Those gasoline fired field kitchen water heaters were sometimes exciting to start as well but at least in both cases you can jump back or out minimizing the singed eyebrows and hair. That’s not happening in an aluminum tube 15 minutes from a landing site. I always wondered how those gas heaters actually did their job. That DC 6 had at least one in the cabin ceiling behind the cockpit in the one I was looking at. Personally I’ll take the modern bleed air off the turbine myself.

Back