Bypass vs synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read just about everything that I could find on bypass oil filters and after having concerns with presure drops and flow concerns I decided to go with a Frantz on my Toyota truck. Now the question I have is this : from what I have read it has been stated that a engine with a bypass oil filter and conventional oil would out last an engine without a bypass filter and synthetic oil. Now this is what I have been thinking, with my Frantz , changing the tp every 3k and toping off the oil with one qt. of pennzoil 10w30 dino would cost me alot less than running a full synthetic oil and changing the oil every 12k.

with the Frantz= 3k x 4 = 12k = about $6 for oil and $1 for tp = $7 every 12k , and maybe changing the full flow once every 2 years

With synthetic= 10-12k= about (now this is with a 6qt. sump) 6qts.x about $5 a qt. = $30 + filter $4 = $34 every 10-12k

Also changing the Frantz element is alot quicker and cleaner than doing a complete oil change
I guess this would make running a bypass filter more viable for more people. I know it would take time for the system to "pay" for itself but I think that in the long run the engine with the bypass filter will be alot better off.

[ February 14, 2004, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: plexx ]

It makes sense unless you have mysterious FF filter leaks
frown.gif

I have a Frantz Adapter & Motor Guard bypass system.

therion; what kind of leaks do you have? I used the street tee with the metric adapter off the oil presure sender port and so far no leaks. I have seen the adapters and I have heard that they work fine but me personaly I would rather have the system plumbed with fittings rather than with an adapter, also I put the restictor orifice on the street tee rather than in the base of the unit, my thought was that I want the least amout of flow and presure in the lines as posiable even through I ran stainless steel aeroquip lines.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by plexx:
therion; what kind of leaks do you have? I used the street tee with the metric adapter off the oil presure sender port and so far no leaks. I have seen the adapters and I have heard that they work fine but me personaly I would rather have the system plumbed with fittings rather than with an adapter, also I put the restictor orifice on the street tee rather than in the base of the unit, my thought was that I want the least amout of flow and presure in the lines as posiable even through I ran stainless steel aeroquip lines.
grin.gif

Well ever since i put together the Motor Guard I have had a small dripping on down the FF filter. I suspected it was a bad Oil Filter (it was used, 900 miles old) i changed it. With a new Amsoil SDF15 filter again i have leaks and i wasted the $10 filter
frown.gif
which most likely was good as the gasket was perfect on it still.

It only leaks about 10 seconds after you start the engine. The Frantz Adapter is smooth on the mounting area. There is holes on the adapter and the oil i think is gushing out of these holes uncontrolably and forcing it through the gasket (it leaks right by that hole).

[ February 14, 2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Therion; what kind of vehical? If you can get to the presure sender I think you would be better off installing a tee there and suppling your bypass filter that way. Also make sure the adapter is the correct size, if the gasket on the FF dose not line up correctly with the adapter a small leak will be the least of your worries. You know the meaning of "universial". Fits nothing equally well.
grin.gif

[ February 14, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: plexx ]

Therion,
Can't help you much long distance. Never had a Frantz adapter leak. Since I didn't charge you for the adapter you can toss it and order a Perma-Cool 771-181 adapter from jegs.com. The filters clean better with a sandwich adapter because the stress is reduced on the element. The Perma-Cool adapter has 3/8" ports so you need bushings to make them fit the 1/8" fittings. It is hard to believe the Frantz adapter leaks. They are a very simple adapter. I hope you don't have an interference such as the full flow filter screwing up against the fittings. It has to be something simple.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RalphPWood:
Therion,
Can't help you much long distance. Never had a Frantz adapter leak. Since I didn't charge you for the adapter you can toss it and order a Perma-Cool 771-181 adapter from jegs.com. The filters clean better with a sandwich adapter because the stress is reduced on the element. The Perma-Cool adapter has 3/8" ports so you need bushings to make them fit the 1/8" fittings. It is hard to believe the Frantz adapter leaks. They are a very simple adapter. I hope you don't have an interference such as the full flow filter screwing up against the fittings. It has to be something simple.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Thanks Ralph. I really need to get this one to work I am strapped for cash right now. No it doesn't block the fittings. I'm getting frustrated. Tommorow morning i will take off the Oil Filter again, and take off the Frantz adapter. I doubt it will give me any clues, if seal is good and mating material is smooth, what else could be wrong other than defect in the adapter?
dunno.gif

Yes, that's the way it works. That's why length of time you'll run the by-pass is so important. You have to run it longer than the payback period. You could say, if you ran it equal to the pay back period you are still ahead because oil quality in your engine was better durring that time peroid, but if you got rid of the truck does it really make a difference to you? Maybe, maybe not, it's still break even.

quote:

Originally posted by plexx:
I have read just about everything that I could find on bypass oil filters and after having concerns with presure drops and flow concerns I decided to go with a Frantz on my Toyota truck. Now the question I have is this : from what I have read it has been stated that a engine with a bypass oil filter and conventional oil would out last an engine without a bypass filter and synthetic oil. Now this is what I have been thinking, with my Frantz , changing the tp every 3k and toping off the oil with one qt. of pennzoil 10w30 dino would cost me alot less than running a full synthetic oil and changing the oil every 12k.

with the Frantz= 3k x 4 = 12k = about $6 for oil and $1 for tp = $7 every 12k , and maybe changing the full flow once every 2 years

With synthetic= 10-12k= about (now this is with a 6qt. sump) 6qts.x about $5 a qt. = $30 + filter $4 = $34 every 10-12k

Also changing the Frantz element is alot quicker and cleaner than doing a complete oil change
I guess this would make running a bypass filter more viable for more people. I know it would take time for the system to "pay" for itself but I think that in the long run the engine with the bypass filter will be alot better off.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with your Frantz setup.. The Frantz on my Powerstroke is handling
the 15 Qrts of oil that gets full of soot!! The soot generated from Diesel motors is tremendous!
Yet my oil is staying clean! I must change TP at 2,000 miles because of this.. You'll have no problem with your oil staying clean.. You'll have no soot to deal with and half the oil to filter than my truck..
I have recouped the cost of my Frantz filter already since the cost to change the oil in my truck varies from $65.00 to $85.00 depending upon where I go.. And the transmission Frantz has almost recouped its cost since a tranny flush runs me $125.00...
Now it's not about the cost that matters any more.. It has become a cause or crusade for having clean oil.. And not becoming one of those who is caught up in the belief that you need to keep changing your oil(s)..

Like Ralph says "You've got to think for yourself"

quote:

Now it's not about the cost that matters any more.. It has become a cause or crusade for having clean oil.. And not becoming one of those who is caught up in the belief that you need to keep changing your oil(s)..

Like Ralph says "You've got to think for yourself"

You've said it ALL!!!! This is not some mere hobby or trivial distraction!! NO!!! This is a quest!! A personal statment of our liberation from the stragling dogma that enslaves our very minds and wallets!

Just consider yourself a member in the first wave of the vanguard assault on those would would subjugate us ....you're a "Petrolium Patriot" ..a Refined Resource Revolutionary...
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif

I like your point of view
grin.gif

The reason for the sandwich adapter was to make the installation easier and to make the filter work better by taking the stress off the element. It is hard to imagine the Motor Guard and Frantz filtering better than they do with the conventional way of installation. You can reduce the stress on the element in other ways. You can run the oil from that orifice at the switch to four filters instead of one. You can use a smaller orifice. Although many of us don't sell Frantz oil filters we probably got our start with Frantz back in the 50's or 60's. I know as much about the Frantz as I do about Motor Guards and Gulf Coast filters. I retired my 40 year old Frantz oil cleaner. My oldest filter still in use is a Motor Guard over 30 years old. I don't think of a submicronic bypass filter as something to get a few hundred thousand miles out of one car. I pull the filter off and put it on the next car. I paid 600.00 for my Camry with 116,000 miles on it. At 200,000 miles it will still be worth 600.00. I don't spend much on transportation. At 173,000 the engine shows no signs of wear and it far exceeds emission requirements. I have synthetic oil in the Camry but I doubt that I will save enough on fuel to pay for the extra cost. I put a Frantz on a Toyota Corella with the Frantz 1750 adapter about 20 years ago. It was traded off with over 500 thousand miles on it. All it ever had in the engine was Pennzoil. It had almost 100 thousand miles on it when I installed the filter. I remember the first thing the guy asked me was do I have to use synthetic oil. He told me he was at a boy scout campout and the boy scouts found his Frantz elements.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back