Bypass Setting vs Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Mods:merge with an existing thread if necessary.

Subaru calls for a 23 psi oil filter bypass and Fram is 13 psi. I realize this has been batted around before.

I have been beaten up on subaru boards bc I indicated this is no problem, for reasons many here understnd.

I wrote to Fram:
" Message: I am currently using the Fram Ultra in my '18 Subaru XT 2.0 and my '19 Subaru Crosstrek. They call for the XG 7317. The bypass spec called for by Subaru is 27 psu. The Fram is rated at 17 psi. Obviously Fram has certified this filter for use. I would like to know if there could be any expected problems or warranty issues."

They wrote back:

"Allen, All Fram filters are engineered to meet,or exceed OEM factory specifications and will work the same, or better than your OEM filter that came on the vehicle at production. Fram stands by their products and installing Fram filters onto your vehicle will, in no way cause your vehicle to have any warranty issues. To clarify this please visit our webpage and view this under the support tab,then click on warranty support ir you can just click on the link :https://www.fram.com/support/warranty-support/ and it will take you right there. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reply back."

Your cars are under warranty, why not just stick with the Subie OEM filter??? I get mine from the dealer for less than five dollars. If you are asking Fram if there will be warranty issues, you are asking the wrong people.

There's a reason why Subaru choose a high bypass setting on their oil filters. You have more possible unfiltered oil circulating events in the engine using that Fram vs a OEM oil filter.

It's funny because Fram is actually the OE supplier and makes the Subaru filters you get from the dealer
crazy2.gif

Use Wix/Napa (5)7055 instead
smile.gif

Also, Napa still has the sale on their Napa Platinum filters. Part #47055 is only $5.99

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
It's funny because Fram is actually the OE supplier and makes the Subaru filters you get from the dealer
crazy2.gif

Use Wix/Napa (5)7055 instead
smile.gif

Also, Napa still has the sale on their Napa Platinum filters. Part #47055 is only $5.99

Tough to beat Wix/Napa filters. They are my personal choice on Subaru vehicles as well.

Then just use oem if this issue is enough to concern you, I can not see how much more better fram is over OEM that the peace of mind of proper psi would be to you. Actually I would say that the past few years fram has taken a few steps down in all around quality control as well.

I've used both (Wix and Fram Ultra) on my '15 FXT and I wouldn't hesitate to use either. The ultra has a higher flow which negates the used of a higher bypass pressure imo.

The only reasoning that makes sense for such a high bypass is that the engine has a powerful oil pump and at higher RPMs, there is a lot of oil being pumped and a lower specced bypass would go in bypass mode during those high RPMs. But a higher flow filter would also help avoiding bypass mode in those circonstances.

Here is an explanation from Royal Purple that I think is really well written:

Royal Purple Extended Life Oil Filter #10-2867 has a bypass pressure rating of 11-17 psi.

An oil filter by-pass function is generally and most commonly expressed as a range of pressures, since it's action is gradual and not absolute until the second expressed PSI number is reached. Engine manufacturers have different philosophies when it comes to by-pass valve pressures. Some will select a low pressure to insure the engine will have oil under all conditions. Others select higher pressures hoping to prevent oil from by-passing the filter during cold starts. Neither approach is wrong. The bypass function of an oil filter is to make sure the engine always has an appropriate supply of oil delivered to the engine, even when the oil is cold and thick or when the filter is old and filled up with particles. The filter bypass pressure rating is a pressure differential between the inlet and outlet sides of the oil filter, it's not the oil pump pressure.

Our Royal Purple Extended Life Oil Filters have a 100% screen-backed synthetic media that provides superior filtration while keeping oil flow restrictions low. The restriction is so low our Royal Purple oil filters will go into by-pass much less than a cellulose filter, even if the filters had the same by-pass pressure. This is true for new filters and as the filters accumulate use during the oil change.

The oem filter looks worse than a 1.99 supertech.. that being said I used one the other day because I forgot the oil filter at the shop 30min away and needed a crush washer from the dealer anyway.

I'd go the high bypass wix filter if it bothers you. otherwise an engine is an engine.. a fram ultra with 14psi bypass isnt going to blow it up.

You are correct, been discussed many times. Imo, if you want to use the Ultra you're going to have to live with bypass spec. As bypass events are very infrequent and very short duration when they do occur, I wouldn't sweat it.

If you can't abide that, then go with aforementioned Wix/Napa Gold application with the higher bypass spec. That of course in lieu of the oem.

As for the Subaru forum, if you were expecting a different response than you got about using the Ultra, I'd say you shouldn't have been. In my observation and ime, the vehicle specific sites toe the line on oem use only. One reason why I never bother to join them, just read them as a resource. It's no different with Honda. On one such site, the 'princess' knows all.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac

....the vehicle specific sites toe the line on oem use only. One reason why I never bother to join them, just read them as a resource. It's no different with Honda. On one such site, the 'princess' knows all.
smirk.gif

Absolutely the case on all vehicle specific sites. They are also the place to go for "the sky is falling" sentiment with respect to TSBs for ohhh, saaay.... 500 cars.

As far as oil pump volume capability is concerned, just because a pump has that capability at x-rpm and y-viscosity doesnt mean that oil volume is going into the oil galleries. The engine is very restrictive and this would limit bypass events to cold/icy oil or high rpm throttle blips whilst manually downshifting in competitive events. Once the oil pump bypass threshold is reached pressure is plateaued and excess oil bypassed around the pump - NOT through the filter and main gallery.
Now it takes some horsepower to pump that oil mass, and seeing subaru engine are very fuel efficient AND no maunfacturer under CAFE is going to leave 0.335 MPG on the shelf the pump is not going to be oversized or overspec'd.

I would use a Wix/napa with a bypass proximal to factory on the turbo, and a same or lower bypass on the FB20 - as it has no turbo feed screens you are trying to keep open. This recommendation would be for top mount filters.

Under engine mounted filters ( e.g: EJ25x turbo ) I'd go with a Tokyo Roki. Look for them online and buy them in bulk.
Just because.

Now BlueSubie should chime in
smile.gif

- Ken, the owner of too many subarus over the years to count on both hands:)

Not sure why they don't spec the 9715. My older legacy calls for a 6607 or a 9715, the 9715 having "By-Pass Valve Setting 16-28".

I can't remember what car or cars spec'd this, but I'm almost positive that you could use either a 6607 or 7317 filter in them, so the fit of all 3 of these filters can't be that far off. I know the 6607 is tiny, but I'm thinking of gasket size and such.

Originally Posted by sxg6

I can't remember what car or cars spec'd this, but I'm almost positive that you could use either a 6607 or 7317 filter in them, so the fit of all 3 of these filters can't be that far off. I know the 6607 is tiny, but I'm thinking of gasket size and such.

It should be common knowledge by now that

Subaru, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and Honda all use the same Mounting base and thread.

The Universal Japanese car filter ( sorry, toyoda wasn't allowed to join this club! )

So differences are only small differences in length and/or diameter and bypass setting.

To put another way, They will all fit each other without leaking.

So I usually go with the biggest which is the Nissan Titan V8 spec filter which gives you at least 1/3 more filter area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
... Subaru, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and Honda all use the same Mounting base and thread....
In that group though the Hyun/Kia specs the wider diameter 9688/3593a application, not 7317 or 6607. On newer Hondas from ~08 on, because of block/pan restriction the 9688/3593a application will not screw on. Pretty sure that holds for at least some newer Nissan 2.5L engines like 17 Rogue. Not sure about topic Subaru. Of course the Hy/Kia can downsize to 7317/ or 6607, which many quick lubes do as SOP. Afaik though, none of the standard 7317/6607 spec the Subaru 27 psi bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back