Bypass filter on ford ecoboost engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you say you have a bypass filter. that doesnt tell me much. if you filter filters down to 2-3 microns. you should get 300,000 to 400,000 miles from your engine

Originally Posted by red7404
when you say you have a bypass filter. that doesnt tell me much. if you filter filters down to 2-3 microns. you should get 300,000 to 400,000 miles from your engine

That's a dubious claim.
There are many, many examples of high mileage vehicles that never had BP filters, never had syn fluids. They just had reasonable OFCI durations and normal products.

My 2005 Grand Marquis 4.6L has 260k miles on it; turns in great UOAs and still runs as strong as our 2007 Grand Marquis that has 1/2 the miles on it. Both get 10k mile OFCIs with normal FF filters and house-brand conventional lubes.

Here's a Chevy truck; had 1M miles on it:
https://www.knfilters.com/million/default.htm
Million miles on an old 350 chevy motor; just routine oil/filter changes. Ironic that he sees value in a reusable air filter to save money, but never occurred to him to use BP filtration for the lube (another great savings tool). As I recall, his OFCI plan was every 4k miles. No BP filter; no syn fluids.

Here's a Ford truck that went THREE MILLION MILES
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3259FEA528923CC055153259FE&FORM=VIRE
This is a very good testimonial to just keeping a good pm routine going.
I was curious about this truck, and so I called that Palm City service center and spoke to the manager a few years back. Here's the story on the truck:
- truck went 100k miles on the OEM 5.4L engine and it died. Due to the nature of the truck's use (on road delivery of race track dogs), he could not afford downtime, so they sourced a used 5.4L from a junkyard and sent him on his way.
- the second engine (first replacement) went 1M miles approximately, then it died. It was replaced with another salvage yard 5.4L
- the third engine (second replacement) went a bit over 1M miles, then it died. Was replaced with yet another junk yard 5.4L
- the forth engine (third replacement) went about 1M miles, and then the truck was totaled in a wreck. (the owner bought a used Ford diesel truck subsequently)
So ....
first engine died after 100k miles
2nd, 3rd, 4th all went a million miles EACH.
What does the service center use to service that truck? Havoline 10w-40 dino oil and jobber oil filters. Nothing special; nothing extreme. No BP filter; no syn fluids. BP filtration is a great tool, but it does NOT assure longevity as an exclusive means to an end. You can get really good service life from equipment if you just change oil/filter routinely. You're correct that someone should be able to get 300k or 400k from an engine. But that has NOTHING to do with BP filtration. BP filtration is a tool to keep the oil cleaner for a longer period of time. That is a fiscal savings tool. A clean sump is going to help equipment last a long time. How you achieve that clean sump is up to you. There are two roads to that same destination; you can either filter contamination out, or flush it out. Either way you end up with a clean sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by red7404

That's a dubious claim.
There are many, many examples of high mileage vehicles that never had BP filters, never had syn fluids. They just had reasonable OFCI durations and normal products.

My 2005 Grand Marquis 4.6L has 260k miles on it; turns in great UOAs and still runs as strong as our 2007 Grand Marquis that has 1/2 the miles on it. Both get 10k mile OFCIs with normal FF filters and house-brand conventional lubes.

Here's a Chevy truck; had 1M miles on it:
https://www.knfilters.com/million/default.htm
Million miles on an old 350 chevy motor; just routine oil/filter changes. Ironic that he sees value in a reusable air filter to save money, but never occurred to him to use BP filtration for the lube (another great savings tool). As I recall, his OFCI plan was every 4k miles. No BP filter; no syn fluids.

Here's a Ford truck that went THREE MILLION MILES
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3259FEA528923CC055153259FE&FORM=VIRE
This is a very good testimonial to just keeping a good pm routine going.
I was curious about this truck, and so I called that Palm City service center and spoke to the manager a few years back. Here's the story on the truck:
- truck went 100k miles on the OEM 5.4L engine and it died. Due to the nature of the truck's use (on road delivery of race track dogs), he could not afford downtime, so they sourced a used 5.4L from a junkyard and sent him on his way.
- the second engine (first replacement) went 1M miles approximately, then it died. It was replaced with another salvage yard 5.4L
- the third engine (second replacement) went a bit over 1M miles, then it died. Was replaced with yet another junk yard 5.4L
- the forth engine (third replacement) went about 1M miles, and then the truck was totaled in a wreck. (the owner bought a used Ford diesel truck subsequently)
So ....
first engine died after 100k miles
2nd, 3rd, 4th all went a million miles EACH.
What does the service center use to service that truck? Havoline 10w-40 dino oil and jobber oil filters. Nothing special; nothing extreme. No BP filter; no syn fluids. BP filtration is a great tool, but it does NOT assure longevity as an exclusive means to an end. You can get really good service life from equipment if you just change oil/filter routinely. You're correct that someone should be able to get 300k or 400k from an engine. But that has NOTHING to do with BP filtration. BP filtration is a tool to keep the oil cleaner for a longer period of time. That is a fiscal savings tool. A clean sump is going to help equipment last a long time. How you achieve that clean sump is up to you. There are two roads to that same destination; you can either filter contamination out, or flush it out. Either way you end up with a clean sump.

Engine sucks in air, air is filled with very fine dirt, dirt gets into oil, and wears engine. That is what the bypass filter filters out, very fine dirt that wears engines. Now so many environmental issues at play in those situations you mention that you can not know, like a defective air filter letting in dirt or an engine with parts having manufacturing defects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back