Bye Bye Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7163547.stm

Netscape Navigator, now owned by AOL, will no longer be supported after 1 February 2008, the company has said.

It's a shame. I like version 9 better than FF. Sure there's too much AOL-based hooks in there, but it's a better feeling browser and seems quicker than FF.

Hopefully AOL will release it for others to upgrade and continue making it a good product. Seamonkey exists as a Netscape 4.x -looking clone, but it has the goofy preferences panel that I never liked.

Or make FF faster.

Quote:

How soon before AOL disappears?

You wonder. With crack managers deciding to spend resources on browser development years after they've been left in the dust, look for revolutionary new products they will try to build, like small devices to carry portable music, computers that are powered by batteries you can fold up and carry with you and a site where you can upload your own videos to share with friends.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

You wonder. With crack managers deciding to spend resources on browser development years after they've been left in the dust, look for revolutionary new products they will try to build, like small devices to carry portable music, computers that are powered by batteries you can fold up and carry with you and a site where you can upload your own videos to share with friends.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

As I started to read your post I thought you were talking about burnt out drug dealers, then realized you were taking about [censored] On Line managment, then I realized there wasn't much difference.
grin2.gif

Jethro, on my old Mac desktop, 733, 512MB of RAM, FF is dead slow. So slow, it won't even load pages. Conversely Safari & Netscape are usable and have no problems running embedded items, such as XM radio online or MLB audio or video. In FF, neither work at all as the embedded items simply will not connect to the sources (remote audio/video stream servers) whereas the other browsers have no problem.

FF is the same speed on my 3GHZ 2gigRAM gaming PC, 1.2GHz 512meg RAM notebook PC, and wife's 1GHZ Powerbook G4. That's two Windows XPs and a MAC OS X.

I think there is a hardware requirement wall for FF that luckily I have never experienced.

I wish everyone would use FF. Then all the web page designers would make everything work and look right when you open their web pages in FF. Soon after I tried it I gave IE the heave ho and have not looked back.

Netscape I haven't used in probably 10 years? probably more than that so I have no feelings about it's demise. AOHELL? Good riddance. I don't like proprietary anything and that's one thing that bugged me about Appple too. Once I decided to work in the computer industry quite a few years ago I said goodbye to the Mac which I at one time was a huge fan of and I embraced the mainstream standards despite all of their wrinkles and warts.

Macs long ago were superior and their superior technology, simple user interface, stability, etc. made them atractive to many users. Once the windoze world caught up and surpassed the mac, Apple had no compelling reason-other than extreme loyalty-for people to buy their products for twice the price.

Of course Microsoft did steal the GUI from Apple and without that we would probably still be looking at C: prompts, but what does that have to do with the end of Netscape anyways? wow I sure do ramble sometimes. . .

I don't wish EVERYONE would use FF, then more virus writers would target it. I'm pretty happy with most sheep using IE like they are supposed to.

I would say Opera and Safari are dang good browsers, too. I sure do like all my extensions on FF, though.

I tend to agree with the comment that IE is going to be targeted more by virus attacks. I just discovered Opera as I'm taking a Web programming class, and it's a very good browser. I'm using FF on my other computer that has Linux, and I like it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back