Buying used transmission

Hi Friends,.
I had issue with Bmw Gearbox (ZF 6hp19. Year 2004. 250.000 KM in it)
I have two options.
1. Get low milage transmission ( 40.000 -60.000 KM, removed from cars made 2004-2006) with 3-5 days warranty just for testing. 700$ with installation fee.
2. Fix its own transmission (Mechanic assumes it also would cost approximately 700$-900$ to fix the symptomps . And inspect/replace/fix other parts which are likely to fail soon. And he offers 1 year warranty)

Actualy first one seems easy option for me. But mechanic warned me that replacement transmission can fail anytime soon. Because there are some rubber/plastic and electronical parts in gearbox. Which degrades by the time regardless of the milage.

I understand that it is sort of a gamble. I do not mind spending few hundred dollars on it. But just want to know in long term which would be safer option to go with. Because even if i got current transmission fixed, still it wont be complete rebuilding as far as i know. Some metallic parts will still have wear and tear of such high milage. On the other hand low milage replacement transmission will likely to have metallic parts in great condition.

Any opinion is highly appreciated :)
Regards.

How much of the cost is labor to remove and reinstall?

If it's not too much more, I'd get a rebuilt trans, that doesn't just have the problems addressed, but has new seals and updated "problem" parts. Seems a shame to pull the trans and only fix what's currently broken.

A used trans may well be on its way to failing in the way yours did, unless yours had an unusual failure.

How much of the cost is labor to remove and reinstall?

If it's not too much more, I'd get a rebuilt trans, that doesn't just have the problems addressed, but has new seals and updated "problem" parts. Seems a shame to pull the trans and only fix what's currently broken.

A used trans may well be on its way to failing in the way yours did, unless yours had an unusual failure.

Thanks for detailed response.
Removing and installing transmission costs about 50$ (Labor cost is relatively low in my country)

Considering that the cost of a rebuild is similar or slightly more expensive than a used replacement, I'd go for a rebuild.

I don't mind rolling the dice on a used part when it's a fraction of the cost of a new/reman/rebuilding what's there(as is often the case in the US) but also try to weigh how "mission critical" the part is, how likely it is to fail, and how much is involved in fitting it. Engines last so long anymore that I'd have few if any reservations over dropping in a low mileage junkyard one, but to me transmissions are a bit of a different story.

I did the used option on my long gone 1996 BMW 328i convertible many years ago. The used transmission saved me $750 in the short term, but started the same failure (slow and slipping into gear when cold) just a few months later. I ended up selling it to a “we buy your car” dealer just to get shut of the whole thing.

If it were now? I’d put in a reman or get the original rebuilt and put it in myself. But I did not have the skills yet back then... 😎

If you go with a used one, get it from a car which was wrecked. Atleast then I would believe that transmission was working at the time of the accident and the accident is the reason the donor car is in the junk yard.

The thing is, I bet a lot of scrap yards say the transmission only has 40k-60k km on it, but they probably just make that up.

$700 vs $900. I'd go with your mech rebuilding it, if he has a 1 yr warranty on it. Seems a safer bet.

The thing is, I bet a lot of scrap yards say the transmission only has 40k-60k km on it, but they probably just make that up.
Good Point.
The reason we believe it would be true because those are cars imported from Japan. And most people dealing with car business says that cars imported from Japan mostly have low mileage.
They are not crashed cars. Just a great looking cars :)
As far as i know Sellers are able import the car and sell it as a spare part regardless how good condition it is. Because if they want to sell it as a whole car they need to pay for its registration which is high amount of money.

Anyway. Thanks all for sharing your knowledge :)

Also, with the 3-5 day warrantied junkyard transmission-can your mechanic get around to installing and testing it in that amount of time?

At least around here, virtually all good mechanics are backlogged, and a big job like a transmission swap might get shuffled back in favor of smaller, easier to finish jobs.

Also, with the 3-5 day warrantied junkyard transmission-can your mechanic get around to installing and testing it in that amount of time?

At least around here, virtually all good mechanics are backlogged, and a big job like a transmission swap might get shuffled back in favor of smaller, easier to finish jobs.

Junkyard is too far away from my thrustworthy mechanic.
So we will have to find someone at that place who can do the job. :)

Back