buying tractors and parts out of country

Good morning,

I am about 20 minutes south of Buffalo in Western New York. My father and I always keep an eye out for older John Deere tractors, parts, implements, etc. Recently I've seen some stuff sparking my interest in Canada.

I have my enchanced NYS license, but have never been to Canada. Of course, once the current situation simmers down, what would it take to go up there and bring a tractor, implement, parts, etc. back to the US?

Do you have to have bill of sale for US Customs and tons of paperwork?
How do you exchange US currency? Are there places at the border?
Any strange truck and or trailer laws in Canada?

As you can see I am beyond naive. Thanks.

Dad bought a vintage exhaust system from Switzerland. It was pretty event free IIRC, but it was also shipped. No customs issues whatsoever.

The Canadians come down and buy our cheap oil at Walmart’s all the time. Much more of a crime than an American buying used tractor parts IMO.:ROFLMAO:

Can’t speak for any funny trailer laws they might have, but I assume theyd be the same as ours. Make sure all of your lights work if the trailer has them.

The Rat's one road trip was to Toronto ON to visit some friends and go to a car show, I also picked up an 2.5L M 30. I drove through customs with hardly a look. I always entered / exited CA over the Peace Bridge.

If you're going over with an empty trailer and coming back with something on it, you will need to explain yourself and have some paperwork. If it's a newly purchased implement, you'd have to pay duty, etc. Something used? I'm not 100% sure.

I'm in the same situation as you. We're neighbors and I haven't been over the boarder in probably 15yrs. I go under the peace bridge almost daily going to/from work. I work with some Canadians. I'll ask them what they know about someone from the US bringing something used back..

Go on google earth and find a farm/ open field in Canada that borders one in Vermont. Get a buddy with a trailer to meet you and "go farming" for a little bit. :D

If you're buying from a dealer that takes credit cards, that is traditionally one of the best exchange rates you can get. And the dealer should help you with border paperwork questions. But your bank/ credit union can hook you up with canadian cash.

Based on my 2hr drive through Quebec, there are cops everywhere compared to being stateside. I imagine you have to meet engineering specs for the tow rig, trailer brakes over 3k lbs, good tie-downs on the tractor. If you have a bill of sale, what's the worst thing that can happen, you declare it and pay money at the border.

Last edited:
Based on my 2hr drive through Quebec, there are cops everywhere compared to being stateside. I imagine you have to meet engineering specs for the tow rig, trailer brakes over 3k lbs, good tie-downs on the tractor. If you have a bill of sale, what's the worst thing that can happen, you declare it and pay money at the border.

I watch a Canadian You tuber sometimes, He is always wheeling and dealing and I have lost count the number of times he has been pulled over on the 401 and they were inspecting vehicle, trailer and load securement. Where I'm located its a run what ya brung, free for all. You should see some of the stuff being towed down the roads here. A few years ago I seen a guy driving a car down the road with no door, Ive seen vehicles with no hoods as well.

Its legal to triple tow here and you see it once in a while, my all time favorite was a quad tow, it was a older chevy truck towing an rv with a enclosed trailer hooked to it and a boat behind it.

Last edited:
With USMCTA (formerly NAFTA) there should be no tax to move something originally made in the USA, Canada, or Mexico among the three countries-- but that doesn't mean there won't be a lot of paperwork. A tractor newer than 1996 needs to meet EPA emissions. If it's worth more than $10,000 they're going to ask you about the money.

Free trade exists between Canada and the USA. There is no duty on anything manufactured in North America. The border is currently pretty much closed except for commercial truckers but might open up later this year. Can’t talk about that.

No serious paper work required except if it’s a plated tractor (See poster above). Have a bill of sale. Things are changing so fast I would check on that enhanced license. Might be time to get yourself a US passport. If you were importing a car there is paper work you can do yourself.

Physically, when you are leaving Canada, drive up to the US border ( you won’t be talking to the Canadians at all) and declare you are bringing in parts etc. Have an itemized list and your receipts ready. The border guard might make you park off to the side. No biggie. No fees on anything manufactured in North America.

By the way, don’t even think of bringing in hand guns. ;)

Last edited:
Back