Buying a 2001 4Runner LTD Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most everyone has suggested, it's an ideal candidate for a 10W-30. As we've been discussing in other threads lately, a 10W-30 will almost always have better volatility specs and less viscosity-modifying additive than a 5W-30, and that's a good thing. Debatable whether that would be of any use to you with this engine, because it's not high-performance, GDI, turbo, or any of that jazz. Still, a 10W will hold up better, long-term.

Personally, I like synthetic because it's not that much more expensive, especially when you can find mail-in rebates, and find it on sale, or both.

A couple of folks recommended Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30, and I think that would be an excellent choice, in either the regular or HM flavor. Valvoline Advanced is another good one. Those are usually less than $25 at Walmart, for a 5-quart jug.

I run the Fram Ultra filters in my 2007 Tacoma, at 10K intervals. My truck now has over 225,000 miles with only Mobil 1 30W oil (I've used 5W and 10W - currently it has 5W).

Since you don't know the history of what's been run in it or for how long, you may want to stick to a 5K interval for 3 OCIs or so, in case there's any buildup to clean out. After that, if it's not using any oil, should be no problemo to extend it a bit, with a good synth.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by nickaluch
Does buying a truck with 250k concern anyone but me?

I couldn't do it. Even a hallowed Toyota at 19 years old and 250k is going to nickel and dime. OK if you expect it and have something else to drive. Good luck with it!

I purchased my beloved 2000 4Runner with 245k miles in 2017. Yes it had issues. I spent 2 weeks and $1600, with my labor, and repaired all the minor issues. It now runs like new and is the best vehicle I've owned (new or used).
My first run was with Mobil1 HM 10w-30 and an OEM filter. The following 2 runs were SuperTech synthetic 5w-30 with an OEM filter. I change oil once a year (5-6K miles) with no make up oil added. The 3.4l doesn't seem to care what is used.

I would run Castrol synth blend in it for the first few changes. You can then elect to continue with it or switch over to Mobil 1. More than likely the valve cover gaskets may need to be changed. I don't know if that engine has a belt or chain. All my trucks and car have chains. A Toyota with 260,000 miles is nothing. I would use Fluid Film twice a year underneath the vehicle to prevent rust. I use it on all my vehicles even in Florida. I despise rust and I guess that is why I will never move back to the North.

My contention is to stay with a HM dino/semi-syn at this mileage. You will not realize the benefits of a 10K OCI on a 250K mileage engine. There will be oil loss. I am speaking from experience as I have had eight third gen 4Runners with the 3.4. A majority of them had over 200K miles. And being the BITOGer that I am, I changed several of them over to a syn "just for the [censored] of it" and all developed leaks. It has happened enough times so as to make me think it's not the best idea. Again, this is solely based on my personal experiences.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

I purchased my beloved 2000 4Runner with 245k miles in 2017. Yes it had issues. I spent 2 weeks and $1600, with my labor, and repaired all the minor issues. .

Curious what minor issues cost you $1600 to make right? It's a good thing when you get a vehicle that's just right for you.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Curious what minor issues cost you $1600 to make right? It's a good thing when you get a vehicle that's just right for you.

R/R ALL liquid fluids
New muffler
R/R 4 suspension springs and shocks (known to sag in the rear)
New timing belt kit (overdue)
R/R valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires and PCV (cam seals leaking)
New radiator (known to leak coolant into the ATF)
All new radiator hoses and belts
New rear lower control arms
New O2 sensors (had enough miles on them)
New right rear axle seal (a MAJOR pain). I actually changed both sides including the axle bearings
4 new tires
Inner and outer tie rods ( inners were worn but replaced all)

Up Next:
4 wheel brake job (front rotors warped)

The tires were recently replaced so now I'm a little over $2k.

Ruins great. Uses no oil. Averages 20+ mpg

You rebuilt it. So maybe someone without good mech skills should think twice about going this route? That list would cost a ton to have done in any shop. Should be good to go for a long time.

Here in the SW you have to start replacing all the rubber parts, the headliner lets go, headlights haze terribly, paint fades if it isn't garaged all the time. But no rust.

Correct. I had personal reasons to purchase an older highly regarded vehicle. I have the knowledge and skill to do the repairs and I knew what I was getting into. I would never recommend someone to do the same if they had to hire someone to do the repairs. The cost's would be twice what I paid for the vehicle!
I chose the 3rd gen 4Runner because it's considered the best model Toyota made.

I am impressed! Which muffler did you go with? I replaced mine and I now wish I had gone stock OEM.

I went with the Walker Stainless Steel because it was the only stainless steel muffler I could find. Very happy with the muffler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back