bubbling paint/rust repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some advice on how to address the issue seen in these photos of my 2006 Accord.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am not terribly concerned about getting a "factory" or even close appearance, I just want to get rid of the bubbling paint and rust and use whatever combination/sequence of products necessary to prevent it from getting worse. I assume it'll start with chipping away the bubbles, then a sanding process of some sort, a rust converter or specialized primer, spray on touch up paint, and maybe a spray on clear coat? Any step by step advice or links to good how to's would be appreciated.

jeff

Sand away the rust until you see bare metal or almost bare metal. Then wipe it down with a wet cloth to get all the loose particles off. Then wipe dry. Use Hammerite Kurust, apply with a brush . Let the Kurust cure, it will turn dark blue.
Once cured, you can spray your primer,or paint straight away. Dont forget to oil the inside part of the hood especially right under the rust if its possible.

Be prepared that the repair area could end up at least twice as large as what you see, and as you sand it, it could end up being a rust through hole.

A sandblaster does a superior job of prepping the surface. It's a tool I bought when I started restoring cars.

Whatever you do, the rust will be back after 2-3 years unless the car is retired from salt duty.

You're going to have a dickens of a time blending the paint on that very visible curve. Any new paint is going to get blasted by the slipstream-- it should be at least as durable as stock.

What's a perfect hood, $50 at the junkyard?

It may be worth doing nothing, so it won't look stupid to have done something $10 and then to have had it come out poorly.

Maybe you could fix it with a NAPA color matched spray-bomb then cover the mess with that 3M clear film. It'll disguise the color gradients and protect what's left.

Well, if it's starting to rust there, I can imagine what the inside of the rest of that Accord is like. Wife's Cavalier has rust like that on the hood....and no matter how hard I tried to save it- it will hit the junkyard soon.....

Sand down to metal, isopropyl wipe let dry, prime, and touch up paint with 2 coats. Wax a month or two later. Thats what id do..and maybe a clear coat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
You're going to have a dickens of a time blending the paint on that very visible curve. Any new paint is going to get blasted by the slipstream-- it should be at least as durable as stock.

What's a perfect hood, $50 at the junkyard?

It may be worth doing nothing, so it won't look stupid to have done something $10 and then to have had it come out poorly.

Maybe you could fix it with a NAPA color matched spray-bomb then cover the mess with that 3M clear film. It'll disguise the color gradients and protect what's left.

I was going to say similar. Used hood.

Im not sure a repair will last. I suppose it could if done right, ground down to bare metal, etc.

If I had to repair it, Id grind it down, chemically convert the surface, and then take to maaco to color match...

I almost guarantee you have a hole there once you pick away at it. If you want the rust gone you have to get it back to good steel.

The rust most likely started under the hood where the seam is.

I would:
1) Scrap away the rust and see what you have
2) Open the hood and remove any rust
3) If you have a 'hole', rivet a patch on or use Body Filler.

This is why people Oil Undercoat their vehicles.
I suggest you buy an 'aerasol' can of Fluid Film and spray ALL the (inside) seams of Hood, Trunk and Doors
Doing so will prevent any future rust in those areas.

Spraying under vehicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bqMK2qT9Y

Atomizer Hose for 'inside' Doors and Hoods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmlM-jH5XBs

There is a quite possibly a hole lurking under that. The right way with welding a patch and all the rest of it is time consuming and costly but there is a hack way that works surprisingly well and will hold for quite a while.

Mask the area off and grind it down then probe it with a screwdriver to see if it goes through, if it goes through grind it so rust is showing and wire wheel the back if possible.
Fill the hole with JB weld stick epoxy flattening it out behind and on top. Sand it smooth, touch up with bondo then use a self etching primer and then a regular primer filler and wet sand it smooth.
Paint the repair.

Do not use bondo fill the hole instead of JB weld, bondo is made with talc and absorbs water from behind causing moisture to get under the paint and bubble.
If you need more info or help PM me.

Edit: Make sure the drain holes on the inside of the hood at the front/sides are open.

Last edited:
Its going to be a bigger deal and more work than you are thinking.

You could scrape away the major rust with a screwdriver and use one of the rust treatment products. They chemically change the rust. It will be better but by no means perfect. But its a 14 yr old vehicle. What the undercarriage look like? (rust wise)..

Originally Posted by Trav
Do not use bondo fill the hole instead of JB weld, bondo is made with talc and absorbs water from behind causing moisture to get under the paint and bubble.
If you need more info or help PM me.

I learned about the Bondo absorbing water the hard way when I was a teenager (dinosaurs roamed the earth).

Even though the internet gurus frown on it for "proper" repairs, I have found that a fiberglass repair kit works very well when there is a hole on the backside. It is used for boats and is 100% water proof and the combo of fabric and resin gives it some strength.

Thanks very much for the advice everyone! I knew I would get some good info here.

A couple of questions for you Trav on your repair process:
The JB product you're referring to, is it the "SteelStik" putty?
Should I put one of those rust converter chemicals on the area after the cleaning/sanding and before the JB?

I hadn't even thought of putting on a used hood
33.gif
The good ones in the first link were quiet expensive ($400+), but I have hopes for the place ET16 linked - they don't list prices but are relatively nearby so I'll call them to discuss. I assume this is a pretty straightforward bolt on procedure? Anyone know if a hood from the same era/year coupe would also fit a sedan?

jeff

At my local LKQ lot here in greensboro nc. there is a 2006 accord 4 door that looks the same color as yours. I think they get $60-75 for a you pull it hood.

1226-16232-8238074.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back