browsing during scans .... bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have AVG Free and SAS free, SPB, and Malware bytes free and Spybot.
Today my wife was running all her scans of the above, and said she wants to run all those scans before checking our band account online, and that I should not open FF or any browser while those scans were running... (I wanted to email an attachment from her laptop to myself).

She said she always runs all the scans, then without doing ANY browsing during the scans and afterwards, gets on the bank website as the 1st things after the scans as a precaution...

Is that good practice? does it make sense?

With all those programs scanning stuff, you must have about 5 min a day to do something productive while it isn't scanning. It is good to be safe and scan once in a while, but it sounds like a little overkill. Unless you goto sketchy sites then there isn't that much to worry about. Your bank website is going to be an SSL encrypted connection.

You should be fine. The resident scanner should still be scanning files as they are opened, while the scanner that is walking through the file system is doing it's job.

If these programs are taking corrective action, such as cleaning or putting a suspect file in quarantine then you "might" run into an issue.

Why not just schedule the scans at night while both of you are sleeping so the computer is available during the day?

thanks for the feedback, guys.

actually we do have 2 laptops but that was a situation where i needed hers for just a sec.
normally this is not an issue, but I was just curious about browsing during scanning overall...
I guess, for the peace of mind, I'll let wifey do the scans and not browse during it, before she does the online banking stuff... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back