Briggs & Stratton files for bankruptcy

Knew it would not take long … but opposite for me … and that’s over 40 years of owning them …
I have been associated with Briggs for about 64 years when my parents bought a reel type mower. Never ran into a bad one.

I've had bunches of Briggs engines, both 2 and 4 stroke, over the years and never had an issue with them. The Tecumseh 2 stroke in my parent's 30+ year old self propelled Lawn Boy is probably a better engine, but it can also be a cantankerous starter.

I've been mowing recently with a B&S 4-stroke push(not self propelled) the last few months that's probably ~3 years old. It starts every single time on the first pull-no priming, no messing with the choke-just pull it and go. Before every mow, I check the oil, add as necessary, and of course top up the gas and it's good to go.

I have a feeling this is going to be like Craftsman first it was a quality thing then when someone else bought them it went downhill tremendously I think that is what is going to happen to Briggs and Stratton I will have to find another small engine company I hate Kohler and Honda haven’t had good luck with them. Just bought a new mower with a Briggs and Stratton so hopefully it will last a long time.

As a kid and before my parents bought a proper house, I remember it was either a Briggs or Tecumseh(or the Sears branded version) that was being marketed heavily by Sears, Montgomery Ward and the hardware stores, way before Home Depot opened up in my part of CA. My neighbors growing up in a house by the condo my parents owned at the time had a go-kart with a Briggs engine. Even I remember the Briggs brand back then, it was strong. Rumor from a friend who went to UW-Madison was that there was a revolving door between Briggs and Harley, and both companies recruited grads from UWM.

fast forward to 1999, we had to get a lawn mower and the one we took home from Costco was Honda powered. Since then, I made it a point to buy Honda - but the Briggs on an Craftsman tiller I resurrected was a surprisingly easy engine to service, once I upgraded it to electronic ignition. However, homeowners are a price point crowd and it’s either a Honda or Chinese engine at the local big box. Pros prefer Honda or Kawasaki 4-strokes.

I could see why Briggs is struggling - Honda has strong brand recognition with DIYers and pros/rental shops, and the flood of Chinese engines in the price points Briggs competed against. Tecumseh went bye-bye before Sears did. The move to electric OPE(especially when battery powered gear is much more powerful than corded and local rules forbade 2-strokes) will make Briggs an memory.

Bummer. I do have a sears mower with a H&M’s flathead...

Im not sure why mower sales would ever slow much, unless engines are “too good”. Competition from Honda I’d get. Haven’t looked far and wide, but for (push) mowers, all Imsee is B&S and real Honda. Not Chonda...

but for (push) mowers, all Imsee is B&S and real Honda. Not Chonda...
I think Toro and Cub Cadet are using Chinese engines for their in-house option. Kohler’s Courage series is Chinese too.

Chondas rule for generators, pressure washers and a few other things.

push mowers as well as handheld OPE are the easiest to electrify.

Back