Breakfree Collector or Fluid film?

Looking at throwing a couple guns in storage. Indoors bit only partially climate controlled, kept above freezing in winter. Ideally I’d like them to be good for at least a couple years but must be ok for a full year without reapplication.
I’ve used fluid film extensively on tools and such with excellent results but never tried BF Collector. Would it offer any benefit over FF in this application?

anything that forms a barrier against oxygen will work just fine

Chances are the actual tackifiers that hold it on are probably close to the same family

My experience with BF Collector is limited, but I’m not impressed. I’ve also seen some corrosion testing that included BF Collector, and it did surprisingly poorly. I’ll see whether I can locate a link for you.

Grease or Cosmoline and a plastic bag would be good choices for things you’re just going to store, but not use, for an extended period.

I have had good luck storing guns after treating them with G96. I apply it liberally followed by a gentle wipe down of the surface and set it on the butt end in an upright position.

Anecdotal input, since Ive never run FF On a firearm...

My Honda Accord Hybrid was showing surface rust on the zinc coated/galvanized door hinge bolts. I wiped FF on them with a rag, and the coating has remained fluid to this day. It’s a thin coating, but enough to be seen in place, and able to be manipulated if you were inclined (not globs, but a coating). While IME, FF will wash off easily, in locations where it doesn’t get wash on it, it will remain in a good state and prevent moisture access.

Ive not used BF collector, and it might work just fine... but if you have a FF, I’d give it a shot.

Ezzox
Cosmoline
BF clp
Rig grease
Weapons shield
All the above have lasted for years with no sign of rust
Use a golden rod if you can

Back