Break free LP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using the now-milspec-again breakfree CLP on, well everything for a couple years now. Striker fired pistols, SAA revolvers, shotguns, 22s and of course some AR platforms. Seems to work as well as anything else out there, although I do like wiping the outside of my blued hunting guns with fluid film before heading out...

Anyways, picked up their "LP" (lube and protect) recently and played with it a little today. Interestingly, the marketing talks a lot about rapid rates of fire and artillery pieces. My initially thoughts are that it's a little thicker and a LOT tackier than the BF CLP. It also has visible "chunks" mixed in, presumably a ptfe like substance.

Used it for three little projects and I do like it though not universally. I used it to oil a shimano freehub which has stiffened up; for this is seemed to work great but time will tell how it holds up. I also wiped down the blade of a Spyderco Endura which doesn't really say much but clearly illustrated its tackiness. Then I wiped down my Glock g23 and lubed with the LP. No change in action feel but I guess I'll check it out in a few weeks and see if it's sticking around better than the CLP.

Anybody else have experience with this oil? My hope is that it will offer better medium-long term storage luberication and corrosion proctectuon than the CLp. Which, I must clarify, has been functioning just fine for me.

Break free clp is the recommended lube for fn handguns.
Looking are the sds, it seems to be a mixture of Mobil 1 0-40, naphthalene, and canola
Oil. Any one have any opinions?
FN discourages use of any hydrocarbons or automotive products. Unless a silicone based lubricant is used, what is left?

Originally Posted by Scorpio9red
Break free clp is the recommended lube for fn handguns.
Looking are the sds, it seems to be a mixture of Mobil 1 0-40, naphthalene, and canola
Oil. Any one have any opinions?
FN discourages use of any hydrocarbons or automotive products. Unless a silicone based lubricant is used, what is left?

Ummm, what are Mobil 1 0w-40, naphthalene and canola if not hydrocarbons or automotive products?

Been using Break Free LP since I found it on the shelf of a local gunstore about 5 years ago.
I use it on all firearms before I store them.
I don't get to go shooting as much as I used to so I wipe things down, run a patch with it through them followed by a dry patch and they seem good to go.
From what I undersand it is rated to protect firearms for up to 5 years of storage. I get nervous and take things out and wipe them down after 1 year.

It is thicker, never used a motor oil as a preservative. It isn't cold down here in TX, so I've never noticed how it holds up to cold. But I haven't had anything "dry out" of lube.

I have no complaints.

Now that I think about it I have a squeaky hinge on a door I need to take care of.

Oops just googled it, I'm using Break Free CO Collector... it's just a preservative.

Last edited:
Breakfree CLP is a meeehhhh product. It evaporates and disappears pretty rapidly, needing constant reapplication. Breakfree LP on the other hand, is a fantastic product. It stays put, it doesn't evaporate. Its thicker viscosity than CLP and stays put.

Basically, I really like Breakfree LP. Its one of my top 5 lubes gun lubes I have ever tried.

The label says for rapid fire automatic fire and for stainless firearms.

[Linked Image]

Gun lubes are a never ending topic I guess.

But I did find out a few things over the years:

Most lubes evaporate leaving a dry action or runs out all over the gun.

Most lubes are overpriced stuff used elsewhere!

So lately I've changed Walther P1 pistols to auto bearing grease, especially in the alloy frame
where the locking piece strikes the frame and in the guides, stays put and works.
(Auto bearing grease has a wide temperature range)

Also trying grease in my 1911A1 Springfield, lube disappeared out of that, so I'll run grease rubbed into
slide grooves, etc. so far so good.

I was gifted some unused lubes by a pal. In the box was an unopened "Slick 50 Plus" additive, it's discredited as a
engine additive and they were sued for false advertising, but guess what:

It's a 50 weight oil, sticky, stays put more then lighter oils and has no odor or color!

I'm using it on AR15 bolt carriers, good so far, whereas light lubes are spat out by the gas exhaust, etc
does not disappear after a day at the range! Hmm

....... also 1 quart bottle is a life time supply !! LOL

as for Break Free and other lubes? still got 'em sitting on the shelf for later!!

For the last few years , I have been using automotive products . ATF & engine oil . Most recently DEXOS spec 5W-30 . Our little red Sonic used 4.5 quarts . I save the last .5 quart and put in my oil can .

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Breakfree CLP is a meeehhhh product. It evaporates and disappears pretty rapidly, needing constant reapplication. Breakfree LP on the other hand, is a fantastic product. It stays put, it doesn't evaporate. Its thicker viscosity than CLP and stays put.

Basically, I really like Breakfree LP. Its one of my top 5 lubes gun lubes I have ever tried.

The label says for rapid fire automatic fire and for stainless firearms.

[Linked Image]

CLP... the C in CLP is Cleaner.

But CLP is also is for machine guns also.

With lubricants, more is not more. More can be worse, leading to cartridge case ruptures during operation.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
CLP... the C in CLP is Cleaner. But CLP is also is for machine guns also.With lubricants, more is not more. More can be worse, leading to cartridge case ruptures during operation.

CLP has a ton of solvent in it. Solvent is not a lubricant. As such, if you want a gun LUBE, then LP is better than CLP.

I don't need one dedicated cleaner/lubricant because I'm not a soldier on the front lines. I clean with one product, and then lube with another. And in my experience, lubes that do not have solvents in them actually lubricate better, for longer, and at higher temps better.

As to little lube vs lots of lube, each gun is different and each gun has specific lube requirements. You don't lube a M1 Garand as you would a Ruger 10/22 or an AR15. Different operating conditions, different actions, different uses.

I've learned over the years, that different lubes work better on certain guns. For example, all my .22LR guns get lubricated with Breakfree CLP because I WANT the solvent in there to break down the carbon. I find that these guns work better and for longer with a CLP type product. On the other hand, an AR15 will choke 2 or 3 times as fast without reapplying lubricant if I use a CLP type product, over a high viscosity lubricant that lacks a solvent component (Breakfree LP, Slip 2000 EWL).

Case ruptures? Don't lubricate ammo I guess? Lubricated ammo breaks bolts and puts 2-3 times more force on bolts than specified.

Originally Posted by ofelas
Oil a rotating part, grease a sliding part.

Done.

I agree.... wonderful light greases offered today and oils that won't budge or leak onto your front pocket, when going holster-less with my Pico, LCP or G42.

I have CLP, LP, and CO from BreakFree. I haven't done straight-up comparative testing that I could quantify or replicate. BreakFree's product(s) have changed formulation, as well as ownership, many times over the years. The CLP liquid and CLP aerosol aren't even the same formulation. BreakFree's CLP at least has had PTFE in it for at least most of its commercial marketing history. PTFE is not a good thing for barrels, chambers, or anywhere nearby that may lead to its entrance therein.

As to corrosion protection, here's the best thread of the best testing I've ever seen on the topic:
https://www.shootersforum.com/gun-cleaning/91566-results-gun-care-product-evaluation.html

no use of automotive products...well, I'm screwed! current 'do it all' gun lube I have is a mix of 1 qt conventional 15w-40 hdeo & 15oz can of G96 gun lube mixed; I thoroughly agitate my small oil bottles to blend it prior to use; I use 1-2 drops on the internal workings of revolvers, and lightly apply dabs with a qtip on the lockup & rotating mechanisms; also apply to semi auto moving parts/friction zones using qtips; I usually clean/lube every 2-3 months and/or after shooting sessions (100-200 rds average); the stuff still creeps but leaves a slighty thicker film

Originally Posted by bubbatime
.....Basically, I really like Breakfree LP. Its one of my top 5 lubes gun lubes I have ever tried. The label says for rapid fire automatic fire and for stainless firearms....

I saw this stuff at Cabela's when I was loading up on their discounted 9 MM ammo. So I took a stab and bought a bottle. What led me to try it was the recommendation of it's use for Stainless Steel firearms. You don't see too many firearms lubricants that mention Stainless Steel specifically. I know Rig produces a grease for Stainless Steel.

Coming from a metal working background, I know how easily Stainless on Stainless can gall. And once it does and seizes up, it can make a real mess out of an auto pistol. If this stuff actually helps prevent that, and is simply not advertising hype, it's worth a shot.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back