Brand loyalty is a weird thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a personal, emotional thing. For the last few years I had been a Brand loyal with Valvoline, until they stopped selling a DEXOS2 approved oil. Was a Amsoil user and dealer, used only redline oil at one point. Now I'm not sure. Running Liqui moly right now.

Originally Posted by jkhawaii
It's a personal, emotional thing. For the last few years I had been a Brand loyal with Valvoline, until they stopped selling a DEXOS2 approved oil. Was a Amsoil user and dealer, used only redline oil at one point. Now I'm not sure. Running Liqui moly right now.

Well you ran all those "Quality" oils I'm amazed you don't have a list of cars in your Sig that have gone over 300K miles.

When I was younger, I was an Al Unser Jr. fan, so I ran Valvoline. Then, I switched to Mobil 1 for awhile. When I started doing 100 miles a day commuting, I joined the Amsoil banwagon and then went back to Mobil 1. Now, I seem to switch every oil change. Sometimes because of a good deal, sometimes I just want to try something new, and sometimes I follow the crowd. So yeah, no longer brand loyal when it comes to oil. Oil filters, Fram or OEM only.

probably going to go with schaeffers next

If you were worried before about dexos 2 then there is no Schaeffer's product with that license.

I thought this was going to be a rant about (insert car maker) and their fanboys.

I try not to be brand loyal, but with a plethora of options, it can be a major time-suck to keep researching to see if something else has gotten to be best. Sometimes it doesn't feel like a good use of time to do that; just grabbing what has always works is less "cost".

That's nice but still not dexos 2 licensed. Kind of like how Amsoil does their recommendations, but in the case of Amsoil they then tell you exactly why it doesn't actually meet dexos requirements.

Oh and Valvoline still sells dexos 2 oils, which one were you using before that lost the license?

I dunno, I tend to buy what I think is the best product. I am proud of the product, and the brand, but I won't hesitate to buy a competitor's product at the drop of a hat if it's legitimately better. This goes for cars, suppressors, ammo, optics, oil, computers, you name it.

I think the only brand I'm loyal to is Supertech. It's cheap and does the trick. I'll buy something else if I can get it cheaper on sale, but usually Supertech is pretty consistent.

Honestly, it all depends on who is asking me.

Friends and family who wouldn't understand ... grab M1 and stick to it. I dont want to explain grabbing what ever is on sale that meets specifications and certifications, then to get blamed later on because they missed a few oil changes and the motor blew. But i told them which oil to grab so its my fault. M1 is big and pays for marketing. The label will give you some confidence that it works.

Myself, used to stick to M1 cause it was the easiest and affordable to grab from wallworld without thinking, then PP. Now, its whatever is on sale or whatever I have left that I hoarded. If nothing, Supertech Syn. My gear oil is all now Supertech too.

Some people are over bearing and opinionated to an extreme, they always are right, some are a little opinionated, and some are in the middle. The extreme ones will change facts, or invent facts, to suit their opinion, no matter what. Now we have the internet to make it all out there.

Isn't Dexos2 for diesels? Liqui-Moly has Diesel certs?
What diesel do you drive?

Valvoline Syn rocks!

Originally Posted by kschachn
That's nice but still not dexos 2 licensed. Kind of like how Amsoil does their recommendations, but in the case of Amsoil they then tell you exactly why it doesn't actually meet dexos requirements.

Oh and Valvoline still sells dexos 2 oils, which one were you using before that lost the license?

Only if it's old stock. MST has been quietly replaced by European vehicle and appears to be full saps now

Brand loyalty can serve a useful purpose, but can also be blinding. It can cause you to miss out on better opportunities, products, or services because you're lockstep in brand loyalty like a horse with blinders on.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I think the only brand I'm loyal to is Supertech. It's cheap and does the trick. I'll buy something else if I can get it cheaper on sale, but usually Supertech is pretty consistent.

Rural King has dino for $1.99 a qt (regular price). Last time I bought ST it was $2.67 a qt...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back