Brake Won't Bleed

Working on a '99 Camry. Left front brake caliper was replaced about 2 years ago. Replacing rotors and pads. Trying to push piston in to make room for new pads.

The original caliper was fine. Just loosened brake bleeder and used C Clamp to push the piston down. No problem.

The left front caliper that was replaced won't budge. It will drip after I loosen the brake bleeder screw but that is it. I actually removed the brake bleeder screw but all
it would do is drip. I think I tore a muscle trying to twist the C Clamp so hard.

Now to give more info. The reason I am replacing the rotors is because the shakes when applying the brakes. Could this stuck piston be her problem with the rotors warping?

Any suggestions? New Caliper?

if it won't push in with the bleeder open then its probably the piston is stuck. had that happen on my Subaru rebuild caliper also . they warrantied it and i got a new one.

That's what I am figuring. I can't take it back to where it was replaced.

She can't afford OEM so I guess I'll look around. This is coming out of my pocket. She just bought the brakes and rotors OEM and I just told her she had to pay for a shim kit this morning.
It really pees me off when people use aftermarket pads and throw away the Toyota shims. Grrrrr.......fackle snackle dudoowampas!

I don't have the heart to call her back and add another $60-100 to her current parts bill.

The fluid should push back to the master cylinder even if the bleeder is closed. You could try loosening the hose attachment to the caliper. If the piston still won't move, the caliper is stuck and needs to be replaced.

Do not leave the car with the bleeder or hose open because that will let all the brake fluid run out which will make bleeding more complicated later.

It ain't moving.

Could this be the issue that caused her rotors to warp?

Yep, the caliper is hosed. If its a 3.0 AC Delco has new ones for the front but not the 2.2 it seems. $60ea is cheaper than screwing with reman junk.
Add $75 for new Elements 3 rotors and pads and $15 for 2 Sunsong hoses and you are good to go with all new stuff for $210 all in + shipping.

Wait, I'm confused. AC Delco has new calipers for a 1999 Toyota Camry V6? Say it ain't so, Joe...

We already have the Toyota Rotors and Pads and Shims.

Will my local GM dealer know what calipers I need? I'm gonna get some peanuts and and ice cold Pepsi and come back.
It's a whole new world out there.
banana2.gif

Gebo, give me her number and I will call and tell her its going to cost more. I spent so many years in sales that it just comes naturally now.
lol.gif

You're a good person Gebo. I still do lots of good things for numerous people, but automotive work is not one of them for this very reason. Good deed unpunished thing. Still help my adult kids depending on how they ask.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Gebo, give me her number and I will call and tell her its going to cost more. I spent so many years in sales that it just comes naturally now.
lol.gif

BR549

Single Mom. Dead beat Dad. Just started her new job. And.....drum roll..... with a snare and a cymbal...I'm her Pastor. And actually, my son offered to pay so all I get to do is have fun.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
You're a good person Gebo. I still do lots of good things for numerous people, but automotive work is not one of them for this very reason. Good deed unpunished thing. Still help my adult kids depending on how they ask.

I appreciate the compliment but with an underlying religious undertone, I'm not a good person.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
Wait, I'm confused. AC Delco has new calipers for a 1999 Toyota Camry V6? Say it ain't so, Joe...

Will my local GM dealer know what calipers I need?
What is Trav talking about AC Delco? Am I crazy ?

Why would a GM dealer know anything about Toyota parts. AC Delco is a parts supplier that just happens to make parts for GM. Nothing more. AC Delco != GM

I can get AC Delco parts for my Infiniti if I wanted....

AC Delco 18FR1027 - left, 18FR1028 - right

This is for the 4-cyl Camry. If it's a V6, it uses different calipers.

I apologize hallstevenson. I don't understand. Where do I purchase AC Delco calipers? It is a 3.0.

ACDELCO 18FR1027 and 18FR1028 are reman.

Rock Auto had front calipers listed as new for the 3.0 99 Camry but it is not there now. No idea, I wish I would have posted the part #'s. AC Delco list these, some are listed as reman and others not. Notice the coated ones part # ends with a "C" the ones that have no reman listing have an "N" I assume for new but not 100% sure on that.

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Originally Posted by kschachn
Rock Auto has them for $45 plus shipping:

Rock Auto

If you meant a brick and mortar store then I don't know of one. Around here if I wanted it "right now" I'd go to NAPA.

Thanks, I now understand.

Originally Posted by Trav
ACDELCO 18FR1027 and 18FR1028 are reman.

Rock Auto had front calipers listed as new for the 3.0 99 Camry but it is not there now. No idea, I wish I would have posted the part #'s. AC Delco list these, some are listed as reman and others not. Notice the coated ones part # ends with a "C" the ones that have no reman listing have an "N" I assume for new but not 100% sure on that.

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Thanks!

Back