Brake pads

I went online searching for a set of brake pads for my Infiniti and stumbled across some closeout sale Pep boys ‘ProStop’ ceramic pads for $6 a set on rockauto. So with shipping and everything it’d be like $20 OTD for front and back. I have never had any experience with pep boy pads, I figure they must be decent but does anyone know how they are before I purchase? Thanks!

Never really heard of bad brake pads. Although ceramic pads tend to have no dust over semi-metallic, they might not be as grabby as semi-metallics. But at that price, you should grab two sets for when they wear out if you're planning on keeping the car for long. Probably doesn't even really affect the shipping.

I am not a fan of anything from Pep Boys. As for ceramic, that does not mean they are high quality brake pads. I always say to spend your money on high quality brake pads and get good rotors (but not too of the line).

If you can afford an Infinity you can afford Akebono ProAct ceramic pads.

If you had the edge code numbers you could at least find out who manufactures them via the AMECA site. But, like everyone above I don't feel compelled to cheap out on brake components.

I am not a fan of anything from Pep Boys. As for ceramic, that does not mean they are high quality brake pads. I always say to spend your money on high quality brake pads and get good rotors (but not too of the line).

If you can afford an Infinity you can afford Akebono ProAct ceramic pads.
Infiniti* and Akebono are good pads, but you are paying for a name. Also, on RockAuto Akebono doesnt have a set of pads for my model, since I have the brembo's.

If you had the edge code numbers you could at least find out who manufactures them via the AMECA site. But, like everyone above I don't feel compelled to cheap out on brake components.
Is it cheaping out if they retail for $40 and I am getting them discounted because pepboys is closing down stores? lol I bought a bunch of Mobil the other weak for $7 for 5 quart jugs because it was clearanced, I guess I should dump it out and pay for more expensive oil? (that is the vibe I am getting, not trying to be rude)

Point taken. (y) I assume all brake pads have to meet a minimum quality and safety level to be used on vehicles. I used to use store brand pads all the time until I came here, LOL. Then, herd mentality sets in.

Is it cheaping out if they retail for $40 and I am getting them discounted because pepboys is closing down stores? lol I bought a bunch of Mobil the other weak for $7 for 5 quart jugs because it was clearanced, I guess I should dump it out and pay for more expensive oil? (that is the vibe I am getting, not trying to be rude)

Mobil is Mobil as long as its not fake or used oil. I have yet to hear of fake oil. People have returned used oil to Walmart saying it was still new to get their money back.

But brake pads at Pep Boys, who knows who made them.

Second favorite if no Akebono ProAct for your vehicle is Wagner TQ.

I like how the mentality is that you either A. You have to buy a $50 set of pads for them to be of any sort of quality or B. Sounds like a good deal :ROFLMAO:

Not to hijack but do tell how to decode the brake pad edge code on the AMECA site! I have a set of pads I would like to know more about, anyone else?

Yeah so far on here they're telling you not to cheap out. But no one is saying I had these brake pads installed and they failed on me. I bought Autozone Duralast Gold brake pads before, couldn't tell the difference between those and any other set of brake pads I had ever had on the car. About the only difference I've noticed from going from OEM pads which must have been semimetallic to ceramic was how they didn't grab as well as the OEM pads, but I felt the OEM ones were much more sensitive and I felt the ceramic ones had a more normal feel. The ceramic ones were Akebono which everyone here seems to like. Regardless, you put your foot down, the car stops, no complaints.

Not to hijack but do tell how to decode the brake pad edge code on the AMECA site! I have a set of pads I would like to know more about, anyone else?

Go to the AMECA website: https://ameca.org/
- Click on "Programs" at the top in orange
- Click on "Handbook of Compliant Safety Devices"
- On the right, click on "VESC V-3 Brake Friction Material Edge Codes"

I noticed some of the house brands do not have identifying numbers. Below are my OEM Patriot brakes. AK NS265H FF tells me they are made by Akebono with FF rating. Interesting to me is that aftermarket Akebono's are completely different in pad design to these.
IMG_0788.JPG

Regarding my comment about "cheaping out" - With places like Rock Auto, Ebay, etc., there are plenty of stories of people that bought close-out items and received less than quality merchandise. Are they being offered for pennies on the dollar because Pep Boys is closing or maybe a warehouse experienced a flood, fire, etc.. I'm not nearly as OCD as others here, but some things you want to be more careful about. The counterfeit spark plug onslaught is one example.

Last edited:
Yeah so far on here they're telling you not to cheap out. But no one is saying I had these brake pads installed and they failed on me. I bought Autozone Duralast Gold brake pads before, couldn't tell the difference between those and any other set of brake pads I had ever had on the car. About the only difference I've noticed from going from OEM pads which must have been semimetallic to ceramic was how they didn't grab as well as the OEM pads, but I felt the OEM ones were much more sensitive and I felt the ceramic ones had a more normal feel. The ceramic ones were Akebono which everyone here seems to like. Regardless, you put your foot down, the car stops, no complaints.
Funny, I wonder if I would have left the price out and just stated they were clearanced brake pads from Pepboys if I would have gotten the same remarks, that to not 'cheap out'? Parts stores are no different than OEM manufacturers, they sell the contact to the lowest bidder. it just so happens to be big companies can produce the insane amount of brake pads for OE manufactors. Yet, O'Reilly and Autozones brake pads are made by Bosch. I also found a pair of Autozone Duralast Gold ceramic for $8 as well on RockAuto. I guess those are 'cheaping out pads 'as well?

Just being ceramic doesn't mean much, I got some perfectly mediocre Centrics for my Camry through RA.

Do you need brakes or are you just looking for an upgrade?

Funny, I wonder if I would have left the price out and just stated they were clearanced brake pads from Pepboys if I would have gotten the same remarks....
No idea why you're getting the responses you're getting.... Maybe this site should get rid of the product deals, rebates, etc sub-forum since saving money or getting a deal is a negative thing (???).

Get the pads, install them, and enjoy the cost-savings. I'm sure they are fine. No major parts retailer will sell garbage or dangerous brake pads ! Worst case is they wear out quickly...

No idea why you're getting the responses you're getting.... Maybe this site should get rid of the product deals, rebates, etc sub-forum since saving money or getting a deal is a negative thing (???).

Get the pads, install them, and enjoy the cost-savings. I'm sure they are fine. No major parts retailer will sell garbage or dangerous brake pads ! Worst case is they wear out quickly...
I am honestly surprised at the negativity I have recieved about pads that no one seems to know much about!

Will you be participating in a road rally, auto-cross, or other similar endurance race where the brakes will see so much use that they will glow red hot when viewed at night?

1) Yes - those pads are NOT to be used!
2) No - those pads can be used.

Beyond that, it’s your call whether or not they are decent pads, and you won’t be able to make that call until you’ve run them for a while.

So what are you waiting for, slap them on and take them for a spin!

I think people have more concerns over brake pads with a Pep Boys name (safety reason) than they would over an exhaust with a Pep Boys name.

I don't need to save every last nickel on brake pads.

Back