Bought a new car but found out it has a shortened warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they specifically told you that the car was "New" and this was used as a selling point, especially if it was a crux of the sale, but it is not new, then the dealership has violated at least one law under the UDAAP standards, as set forth by Dodd-Frank.

If the paperwork lists the car as "New", then the dealership has a legal obligation to treat the car in every way as a new car, including warranty terms, etc..

I'd start by going in and speaking to someone in management at the dealership and let them know the problem, and give them a chance to remedy it. If they can't, or won't, then I'd do as others have mentioned and speak with the corporate office and/or your state's AG office.

Also, if it was me, I'd make sure that the person I spoke to at the dealership know that I would be mentioning Dodd-Frank and UDAAP laws if I had to take it above their heads. HUGE fines for violations of those laws.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
*It's a used car, "demo" = dealership staff's DD.

I can't speak for all states, but in Ohio, a new car dealer can use a new vehicle extensively and until a title is transferred, it's still a new vehicle.

First off, the registration does state "Previous Owner World Car Kia" so that 100% tells me it was registered to them previously.
On the warranty paper that was printed which started this whole situation, it states that the date of service was on actually a few months before my purchase date.
The car was sold at $19,605, which for this trim/package, is on the low end of the KBB Fair Market Range ($19,634 - $20,728) and then it had a $2,500 rebate for a total of 17,105 (Not including trade-in allowance, taxes etc.) So the car was absolutely sold in the new pricing category, on the low end yes, but still new with a rebate.

When there, the sales rep even printed out their True Car pricing on the vehicle to prove I was getting a great new car deal. The Truecar price was $17,706 and it does state this vehicle with matching VIN.

So it does seem that I have been taken for a ride here. I sent an online message last night to the dealership but I did not receive a reply today and as I stated, my sales person stated not to worry because of the separate lifetime warranty offered by "First Automotive." But I consider this a separate issue. I found an email address that goes to them and I am writing an email now with a lot of my concerns. I will let you know what they say to see if I need more guidance.
Thanks again

Originally Posted by Nick1994
What does it say in your purchase paperwork? Usually it's printed what the warranty is.

What does it say in your purchase paperwork? Usually it's printed what the warranty is.

I have scanned all the documents and there is no mention of the warranty. If the car was sold as used it would be federally required to come with a buyer's guide stating the warranty. It's not here. Another proof they sold it as new.

As far as the government is concerned, if the car was registered with an MSO it was "new", regardless of it's age or miles. If the car was "RDR'ed" (retail delivery record/report, reported to the manufacturer by the dealer) at some point prior to your purchase, then the manufacturer considers you as being the second owner, negating the 10/100 powertrain warranty to you. Many new car dealers regularly RDR cars to meet sales quotas/contests. The problem here is with the dealer, they should have told you IN WRITING that the 10/100 warranty was invalid. To make this right, they should CPO the car for you at their expense to reinstate the 10/100 powertrain warranty, or, give you an extended warranty. If not, you have a legal claim against them, and car dealers know that they don't stand a chance in court against consumers when deceit or fraud can be proved. Use the RDR terminology when discussing this problem with the dealer.

Hounds points are 100% valid. If the car was previously titled, then it WAS used and you should have been given a "Buyer's Guide". The question now becomes weather the dealer REPRESENTED the car as being new when you made the purchase. If there is anything in the sales contract and/or paperwork that says the car is new, then you have a legal claim. Also, if the car was previously titled and you were not given a Buyer's Guide, which is a federal requirement, you can prove deceit.

Kia-Hyundai is bottom of the barrel, cheapest of the cheap. I wouldn't expect anything ethical about them and the businesses that support them. Sorry, but this is what you get when you turn your back on American union workers.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Kia-Hyundai is bottom of the barrel, cheapest of the cheap. I wouldn't expect anything ethical about them and the businesses that support them. Sorry, but this is what you get when you turn your back on American union workers.
Thank god they're cheap, I saved thousands buying my Alabama made Hyundai over a Malibu or a made in Mexico Fusion.

I hate to say it but I'd say one year old with 1K miles on it, it's considered a used car. I would consult an attorney. It is possible they end up giving you some kind of extended warranty plan to compensate for the shortened warranty you have now.

You clearly know nothing about those cars, nor about the Hyundai company. More importantly, this is a dealer issue, not the Hyundai company (unless Hyundai owns their dealerships, which I doubt is the case).

Ignorance is strong in this one.

**UPDATE**

The Dealer has made contact with me and stated they made a mistake. They are getting in contact with their KIA representative and will be extending any warranties to the full manufactures warranty. KIA Motors USA also made contact and said they will change it on their end if the dealer does not change it by the end of the week as the paperwork does show new.

Kia Motors USA states the start date of February will still remain but the mileage will be extended. The way I drive, the mileage will go before the date anyways so it's not a huge deal.

Thanks for all of your help, I referenced a lot of what you said when dealing with the dealer.

Silverado12 "Kia-Hyundai is bottom of the barrel, cheapest of the cheap. I wouldn't expect anything ethical about them and the businesses that support them. Sorry, but this is what you get when you turn your back on American union workers."

Here is the website for Hyundai's USA Plant https://www.hmmausa.com/ and here is the website for KIA USA plant https://www.kmmgusa.com/
I have owned a couple of Hyundai's and KIA's and always been happy with them.

You drink the made in America by union kool-aid they feed you.

A dealer franchise sold a car with improper pretenses, how on earth does that relate to "unethical" corporation.

Unethical corporations I know of;
* GM selling cars for years with known bad ignitions but too lazy and cheap to redesign part.
* VW flat out lying to EPA along with deceit in Diesel engine emissions

Likely more

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver

You drink the made in America by union kool-aid they feed you.

A dealer franchise sold a car with improper pretenses, how on earth does that relate to "unethical" corporation.

Unethical corporations I know of;
* GM selling cars for years with known bad ignitions but too lazy and cheap to redesign part.
* VW flat out lying to EPA along with deceit in Diesel engine emissions

Likely more

Not to mention the gm 3.6 debacle.

Originally Posted by Datarock
**UPDATE**

The Dealer has made contact with me and stated they made a mistake. They are getting in contact with their KIA representative and will be extending any warranties to the full manufactures warranty. KIA Motors USA also made contact and said they will change it on their end if the dealer does not change it by the end of the week as the paperwork does show new.

Kia Motors USA states the start date of February will still remain but the mileage will be extended. The way I drive, the mileage will go before the date anyways so it's not a huge deal.

Thanks for all of your help, I referenced a lot of what you said when dealing with the dealer.
-snip-
Here is the website for Hyundai's USA Plant https://www.hmmausa.com/ and here is the website for KIA USA plant https://www.kmmgusa.com/
I have owned a couple of Hyundai's and KIA's and always been happy with them.

Glad to hear they fixed it for you
thumbsup2.gif

Hyundai and Kia make very competent vehicles and back them up with the strongest warranty coverage in the business. The 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty was the best thing they have ever done to gain buyers confidence and it has paid off for them big time. Choosing a vehicle that meets all of your needs, is affordable, and offers a good warranty is sensible. In addition to all of this, the vehicles do generally prove to be very reliable. Instead of blaming the customers for being unpatriotic why don't the Big 3 compete by at least offering comparable warranty coverage to entice buyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back