Boron Depletion

I've noticed TGDI Engines getting flagged for extreme boron depletion. Is this the result of condensation in the oil or some other process?

Should the oil be immediately changed despite all other normal indicators remaining in the green?

From Machinery & Lubrication:
There are exceptions to additive depletion-measuring limitations of ICP. Most notable is the case of borate-EP-containing oil contaminated with water. In this case, the extreme pressure additive containing the boron settles out of suspension and forms a sludge at the bottom of the sump.
If this precipitate is not captured in the sample, the boron level will read much lower than normal, indicating the oil is not fit for further use due to extreme pressure additive depletion. The converse, however, is still not necessarily true: if the boron level is correct, the oil may not necessarily still be fit for use.

Last edited:
Interesting as DELO 400andn Pennzoil PP have high levels of Boron. I wonder if that is what is reported in the bottom of PP oil?

Interesting as DELO 400andn Pennzoil PP have high levels of Boron. I wonder if that is what is reported in the bottom of PP oil?

The odd thing is I've never seen this in Diesels just TGDI Engines. It could be a reaction to gasoline dilution but I can't find anything to support that.

Back