BorgWarner to buy Delphi in $3.3B deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine a ZF tie up with either Bosch or Continental.
shocked2.gif

BorgWarner has a great reputation. I hope Delphi comes up versus BorgWarner going down.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
shocked2.gif

That would be something. Or Aisin and Fujitsu...🙂

Originally Posted by wemay
BorgWarner has a great reputation. I hope Delphi comes up versus BorgWarner going down.

News to me that BW has a great reputation! It has always been a so so AT, Delphi is an electronics manufacturer, so how would it bring down BW ?

Originally Posted by Pelican

News to me that BW has a great reputation! It has always been a so so AT, Delphi is an electronics manufacturer, so how would it bring down BW ?

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with their AT, BW has always had a good reputation with it's turbochargers. Delphi Automotive, the parts supplier is the branch I was referring to. This is Delphi Technologies which spun off from the rest of Delphi in 2017. If my recollection is wrong, forgive me.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
shocked2.gif

It's kinda happening with shared supply chains and specialization. While ZF sold their steering business to Bosch and Conti bought out INA and Siemens VDO, they all depend on each other for things they can't make or OEM integration. Bosch does have the most experiences with electronics - and ZF would use Bosch ECMs or mechatronics.

In Japan, while Mitsubishi Motors isn't really considered part of the mothership, Mitsubishi Electric supplies all the Japanese automakers and suppliers with electrical bits. So does Panasonic and Hitachi. As a matter of fact, Hitachi did acquire Honda's main electronics/engine/chassis suppliers - Keihin/Nissin/Showa. Hitachi is a long-time Nissan/Subaru supplier who bought out Unisia JECS and Tokico. Hitachi, Nissan and Subaru were all joined at the hips at some point in time.

Seems like Borg-Warner wants to become a one-stop shop for powertrain, electronics and chassis. They did buy out Delco Remy a few years ago - also a former part of GM. Haldex and KKK(the turbo) were more recent acquisitions. It seems like while they might not get too much Japanese/Korean OEM business except for Honda(SH-AWD and VTM-4 are Borg-Warner), they want to solidify business with GM, VAG and the Chinese(Volvo uses Haldex AWD, Geely owns Volvo).

Toyota controls Denso/Aisin/JTEKT and Hyundai is getting more vertically integrated with their Powertech/Mobis/WIA divisions. But BW might try to get more Toyota or Hyundai business too.

Originally Posted by Pelican

News to me that BW has a great reputation! It has always been a so so AT

BW has been out of the complete transmission business for while - Aisin AW is the spiritual successor to BW. The earliest Aisin trannies were based on BW designs, and you could even see a Borg-Warner logo cast on a Aisin-Warner Toyota or Volvo unit.

They are still involved in drivetrain - Haldex, and as a major supplier of transmission parts such as the Morse Hy-Vo chain.

Last edited:
GM spun off Delphi in 1998 it says. I didn't even know BW still existed. They made the auto trans for a lot of Ramblers and Studebakers. Article says they want to go more into hybrids and ev's.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back