BMW (Toyota Supra) B58 Engine Teardown Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who's worked on many BMWs this video makes me cringe. I guess you're supposed to toss these things in the crusher after the warranty is up.

Originally Posted by Roadstar_RIder
As someone who's worked on many BMWs this video makes me cringe. I guess you're supposed to toss these things in the crusher after the warranty is up.

I thought the exact same thing. This certainly isn't for the DIY'er. For me, wrenching on my cars is half the fun of ownership.

Anything in particular that you noticed? I'm sincerely interested in your opinion.

Very cool video. I'm curious to see how much difficulty they have getting to 1,000 hp because for example IIRC the valve train and valve cover are physically designed to limit the max amount of lift. This is one of the differences between the "Supra" B58 and the "BMW" B58.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Anything in particular that you noticed? I'm sincerely interested in your opinion.

36.gif

School me please. What, pray tell, is the rationale behind a rear timing chain/belt? In the factory, the cabins are dropped onto the drive train The right way to take out an engine is on the sub-frame from underneath and then split off the engine or trans to service. KA- Ching!! and difficult to bodge behind the shop. The main reason I don't have a late model Ranger 4x4 is a rear cam drive 4.0L Take a good reliable little gas hog capable of 300K with little service and turn it into a grenade at 150K miles . A century of development going into push rod V engines. Then these OHC horror shows. What is the impetus to do this for Ford or BMW or any car maker?
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
School me please. What, pray tell, is the rationale behind a rear timing chain/belt? In the factory, the cabins are dropped onto the drive train The right way to take out an engine is on the sub-frame from underneath and then split off the engine or trans to service. KA- Ching!! and difficult to bodge behind the shop. The main reason I don't have a late model Ranger 4x4 is a rear cam drive 4.0L Take a good reliable little gas hog capable of 300K with little service and turn it into a grenade at 150K miles . A century of development going into push rod V engines. Then these OHC horror shows. What is the impetus to do this for Ford or BMW or any car maker?
coffee2.gif

BMW went to a modular manufacturing process for their engine blocks in order to reduce costs. Part of this process included the standardization of the location of the timing gear to the rear. B-series engines include Inline 6,4, and I think 3 cylinders. In addition these blocks are all closed deck which enables them to be used for diesel-powered variants. BMW has a history of timing chain issues and IIRC the guinea pig for this layout was the 4-cylinder diesel N47. Some N26-N20 also have timing chain issues (extended 7/70 warranty for affected models).

In the past BMW had unique blocks for the various engine types (gas/diesel, I4,I6).

Last edited:
Looks like a solid performance engine but I don't like the rear cam chain and I don't like tearing apart a brand new engine. Still enjoyed the video
laugh.gif

He has a bunch of really good videos on his channel. I remember back when people were first starting to race Hondas he was the front runner in the import drag racing scene.

Interesting to say the least.

So what happens to the Supra now? These guys will slap the engine back together, reinstall and get it on the market at a discount? Sounds like a upcoming thread here on BITOG.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by edyvw
I am not big fan of chain in the back. So far it proved stout in since 2016.

That's probably what they said of Audi's S4.

That is reason why I do not like it. But, it seems that this is far less problematic (if at all). Also, on some BMW forums I read that engine actually does not have to come out using tools specific for this generation of engines. How? Have no idea.
Also, BMW brought back regular water pump. But they just could not help themselves and had to put ECU run thermostat.
Also, looking at video I noticed oil filter housing to be completely new design. Gasket on those was an issue forever on BMW's. Cheap to do it, but annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back