BMW LL-14FE/LL-17FE

Messages
895
Location
Vancouver
Thread starter
My sister has a 2017 Cooper S, calls for LL-14FE 0w20. This is A1/B1, not sure what is different between an LL-14FE approval and something like Edge 0w20 which also is A1/B1? LL-17FE I guess is the mid saps version (C5) which is backwards compatible with LL-14FE. Very difficult to find either of these specs outside of the dealership. Fuchs has an LL-14FE approval which isn't too expensive and LiquiMoly is coming out with LL-17FE shortly. Anyone really know if running a regular 0w20 A1/B1 in these cars would be a bad idea? Maybe they just don't have the long life requirement?
 
Messages
627
Location
Phladelphia
Hey Jimmy, Welcome to the MINI club! I got a 2016 Copper S/JCW and went down the same rabbit hole you did. While it does call for LL-14FE, the B48 engine can actually take anything from LL-01 to LL17FE. This is a great resource for the FSM: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...e-general-note/00-00-maintenance/1PSryV8 I ended up running Castrol Edge 5w-40 as it has a BMW spec and like the thicker oil for my spirited driving. I change it every 5000 miles. There was also a guy on craigslist selling genuine BMW 0w-30 for $24/case of 6 quarts as that a lot of people on the forums purchased as well.
 
Messages
895
Location
Vancouver
Thread starter
If it was my car I would use 0w30, but it's my sister's who just drives it like a normal person, the thing probably never sees more than 4k rpm. So I would like to stick with 0w20.
 
Messages
10,305
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
If it was my car I would use 0w30, but it's my sister's who just drives it like a normal person, the thing probably never sees more than 4k rpm. So I would like to stick with 0w20.
Out of warranty? Castrol Edge 0W40! If warranty, I think LL01 is still in the manual.
 
Last edited:
Messages
15,070
Location
Upper Midwest
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
That's why I love bitog. Nobody reads and just pushes their opinions smile.
Did you read what NYSteve posted? That is correct information.
 
Messages
5,124
Location
Atlanta,GA
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
My sister has a 2017 Cooper S, calls for LL-14FE 0w20. This is A1/B1, not sure what is different between an LL-14FE approval and something like Edge 0w20 which also is A1/B1? LL-17FE I guess is the mid saps version (C5) which is backwards compatible with LL-14FE. Very difficult to find either of these specs outside of the dealership. Fuchs has an LL-14FE approval which isn't too expensive and LiquiMoly is coming out with LL-17FE shortly. Anyone really know if running a regular 0w20 A1/B1 in these cars would be a bad idea? Maybe they just don't have the long life requirement?
No one is in the position to know whether or not a generic 0w20 A1/B1 would work in your application. All Euro oils for passenger cars are long life.
 
Last edited:
Messages
895
Location
Vancouver
Thread starter
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
That's why I love bitog. Nobody reads and just pushes their opinions smile.
Did you read what NYSteve posted? That is correct information.
Yes I did. His post is mostly great and helpful except the part where he thought the car was mine cool I just realized in the first post I didn't state I wanted to stick with 0w20 - So that is my bad.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
That's why I love bitog. Nobody reads and just pushes their opinions smile.
I read your post. Use LL01.
This is your recommendation 99% of the time. I do not want to use LL01 in this application for about three or four different reasons.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
No one is in the position to know whether or not a generic 0w20 A1/B1 would work in your application.
I am wondering the technical differences, maybe nobody really knows at this point. Will probably use the Fuchs since it meets the spec anyway but I like to research a bit for knowledge smile
 
Messages
627
Location
Phladelphia
dafuq? Not sure why you're nit picking people trying to help you. I read that it's your sister's car, except your the one posting not her, so you do 'own' the car as far as oil changes go. I know my sister/wife/sidepiece's eyes would glaze over and turn to stone talking about BMW oil specs. The reason you're getting push back here is you asked if LL-14FE is backwards compatible with LL-17FE but literally every BMW spec is compatible with this engine (except 10w-60). We're pointing out that you can use any spec between LL-01 and LL-17FE. A1/B1 is not even relevant. That's fine if you want to use a 0w-20 that is either 14FE or 17FE, this just wasn't clear in the first post and we wanted to explain that you are not limited to just these to specs. If you go to the link I posted and click on LL-14FE or LL-17FE at the top, you can scroll down and it will tell you which non-BMW oils meet the specs. For LL-14FE, here you go: Named approved oils Trade name Viscosity Producer Castrol EDGE Professional LL 14 FE+ SAE 0W-20 Castrol Limited MOTOREX CONCEPT B-XL SAE 0W/20 SAE 0W-20 BUCHER AG LANGENTHAL Motul Specific LL-14 FE+ SAE 0W-20 Motul PENTOSPEED LL-14 SAE 0W-20 FUCHS SCHMIERSTOFFE GMBH Quantum Ultra B SAE 0W-20 FUCHS PTEROLUB SE TITAN GT1 EVO SAE 0W-20 Fuchs Petrolub SE
 
Messages
10,305
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
That's why I love bitog. Nobody reads and just pushes their opinions smile.
Did you read what NYSteve posted? That is correct information.
Yes I did. His post is mostly great and helpful except the part where he thought the car was mine cool I just realized in the first post I didn't state I wanted to stick with 0w20 - So that is my bad.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
That's why I love bitog. Nobody reads and just pushes their opinions smile.
I read your post. Use LL01.
This is your recommendation 99% of the time. I do not want to use LL01 in this application for about three or four different reasons.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
No one is in the position to know whether or not a generic 0w20 A1/B1 would work in your application.
I am wondering the technical differences, maybe nobody really knows at this point. Will probably use the Fuchs since it meets the spec anyway but I like to research a bit for knowledge smile
What are those reasons?
 
Messages
895
Location
Vancouver
Thread starter
Originally Posted by NYSteve
dafuq? Not sure why you're nit picking people trying to help you. I read that it's your sister's car, except your the one posting not her, so you do 'own' the car as far as oil changes go. I know my sister/wife/sidepiece's eyes would glaze over and turn to stone talking about BMW oil specs. The reason you're getting push back here is you asked if LL-14FE is backwards compatible with LL-17FE but literally every BMW spec is compatible with this engine (except 10w-60). We're pointing out that you can use any spec between LL-01 and LL-17FE. A1/B1 is not even relevant. That's fine if you want to use a 0w-20 that is either 14FE or 17FE, this just wasn't clear in the first post and we wanted to explain that you are not limited to just these to specs. If you go to the link I posted and click on LL-14FE or LL-17FE at the top, you can scroll down and it will tell you which non-BMW oils meet the specs. For LL-14FE, here you go: Named approved oils Trade name Viscosity Producer Castrol EDGE Professional LL 14 FE+ SAE 0W-20 Castrol Limited MOTOREX CONCEPT B-XL SAE 0W/20 SAE 0W-20 BUCHER AG LANGENTHAL Motul Specific LL-14 FE+ SAE 0W-20 Motul PENTOSPEED LL-14 SAE 0W-20 FUCHS SCHMIERSTOFFE GMBH Quantum Ultra B SAE 0W-20 FUCHS PTEROLUB SE TITAN GT1 EVO SAE 0W-20 Fuchs Petrolub SE
Yes I should have made that more clear, my apologies. I was aware there are several other options for this engine, but for her and her driving conditions it is really not necessary to use a high HTHS oil. If LL-01FE was more common I would consider using that, but regular LL-01 is really overkill for her.
 
Messages
895
Location
Vancouver
Thread starter
Originally Posted by edyvw
What are those reasons?
Look, I care about my sister but I will lay this down - She is a 33 year old woman who won't even put 91 in the tank. She puts 89 into it because it's 'good enough.' She drives 45-60 minutes twice a day to work with a maximum speed of 80 km/hr. She only bought the 'S' instead of the regular Cooper because she wanted the color they had on the lot. I can promise you if her fuel mileage drops even 2% after changing her oil, I'm going to hear about it LOL Also I wouldn't mind putting a lower saps oil into it for carbon buildup reasons. Although until LL17FE becomes more common that may not happen.
 
Messages
2,879
Location
Malaysia
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
My sister has a 2017 Cooper S, calls for LL-14FE 0w20. This is A1/B1, not sure what is different between an LL-14FE approval and something like Edge 0w20 which also is A1/B1? LL-17FE I guess is the mid saps version (C5) which is backwards compatible with LL-14FE. Very difficult to find either of these specs outside of the dealership. Fuchs has an LL-14FE approval which isn't too expensive and LiquiMoly is coming out with LL-17FE shortly. Anyone really know if running a regular 0w20 A1/B1 in these cars would be a bad idea? Maybe they just don't have the long life requirement?
As I understand it, LL-14FE 0W20 is based on A1B1 specification and it has 'additional' FE requirements per BMW with doses of Mo or B or Ti .Probably with additional engine tests requirements as well . I don't see it as bad idea running a 0W20 A1B1 , other than the fact that you are not getting 'assured' FE performance as spec'ed by BMW with a basic A1B1 . Long Life requirements ? I am not sure . Edit: See if your sis can tell the FE difference with a particular basic A1B1 ?
 
Last edited:
Messages
10,305
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by edyvw
What are those reasons?
Look, I care about my sister but I will lay this down - She is a 33 year old woman who won't even put 91 in the tank. She puts 89 into it because it's 'good enough.' She drives 45-60 minutes twice a day to work with a maximum speed of 80 km/hr. She only bought the 'S' instead of the regular Cooper because she wanted the color they had on the lot. I can promise you if her fuel mileage drops even 2% after changing her oil, I'm going to hear about it LOL Also I wouldn't mind putting a lower saps oil into it for carbon buildup reasons. Although until LL17FE becomes more common that may not happen.
Is there any math there where you can explain that running LL04 (lower SAPS) that goes for $22 in Wal mart for 5qt is going to save more money than running LL17FE?
 
Messages
895
Location
Vancouver
Thread starter
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by edyvw
What are those reasons?
Look, I care about my sister but I will lay this down - She is a 33 year old woman who won't even put 91 in the tank. She puts 89 into it because it's 'good enough.' She drives 45-60 minutes twice a day to work with a maximum speed of 80 km/hr. She only bought the 'S' instead of the regular Cooper because she wanted the color they had on the lot. I can promise you if her fuel mileage drops even 2% after changing her oil, I'm going to hear about it LOL Also I wouldn't mind putting a lower saps oil into it for carbon buildup reasons. Although until LL17FE becomes more common that may not happen.
Is there any math there where you can explain that running LL04 (lower SAPS) that goes for $22 in Wal mart for 5qt is going to save more money than running LL17FE?
What LL04 does Walmart have for $22? Do you mean LL01? Cheapest LL04 I can get in Canada is M1 ESP, about $37 a jug when on sale. I can get Fuchs LL14 for about $43 and I would imagine the LM LL17 will be around $50, assuming it is priced like some of the other LM oils.
 
Messages
10,305
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by edyvw
What are those reasons?
Look, I care about my sister but I will lay this down - She is a 33 year old woman who won't even put 91 in the tank. She puts 89 into it because it's 'good enough.' She drives 45-60 minutes twice a day to work with a maximum speed of 80 km/hr. She only bought the 'S' instead of the regular Cooper because she wanted the color they had on the lot. I can promise you if her fuel mileage drops even 2% after changing her oil, I'm going to hear about it LOL Also I wouldn't mind putting a lower saps oil into it for carbon buildup reasons. Although until LL17FE becomes more common that may not happen.
Is there any math there where you can explain that running LL04 (lower SAPS) that goes for $22 in Wal mart for 5qt is going to save more money than running LL17FE?
What LL04 does Walmart have for $22? Do you mean LL01? Cheapest LL04 I can get in Canada is M1 ESP, about $37 a jug when on sale. I can get Fuchs LL14 for about $43 and I would imagine the LM LL17 will be around $50, assuming it is priced like some of the other LM oils.
Oh, I forgot Canada part. Pennzoil Euro L. Not sure how much is it there?
 
Messages
895
Location
Vancouver
Thread starter
Ok yeah, so Euro L (in Canada we also get the Quaker State and Motomaster versions of this), cheapest this will go on sale is around $30 - 32 a jug or so. Still not a huge difference.
 
Top