Bluetooth Sound quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate/really despise wires. How does Bluetooth audio sound?

I am interested in how well a bluetooth to headphone jack/rca sounds on a medium quality system in my home.

Currently I use the headphone jack but not liking the lack of "remote control" on my iPhone due to that limitation. I am hoping more apps come out for my Chromecast as it has wonderful audio quality and very remote but only have YouTube, Netflix, and Google Music currently.

The thing that must be determined is where the bandwidth pipeline exists.

They claim that you cant hear a difference between uncompressed and 128kbps compressed MP3, but many claim that there is.

So what is the compression from the apps themselves? There may be garbage in, garbage out considerations.

Then there is bandwidth of bluetooth itself, and the "goodness" of the D/A stage where that goes.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Apple TV. That is all...

X2 - It is one of the better boxes out there and the integration with your phone, tablet (iOS only), and Mac is nothing short of awesome.

I only have experience with bluetooth in my wife's new mazda 6. No in-hone blue tooth experience.

It sounds pretty good for in-car audio, streamed via the Iphone 4s. great integration, too. Sound is much better than I expected and slightly better than AUX even.

But not better than my USA Spec hardwired ipod/iphone system in the BMW, which uses the line-out directly connected to the car stereo input via cd changer wiring.

I think there is a difference but whether that difference is noticeable depends on what your are using to listen to the music. If you have music streaming bluetooth from your phone to your home theater receiver with large speakers and subwoofer you are going to notice the highs and lows both get cut off after compression.
If you are listening to music through el cheapo headphone or earbuds there wont be much if any noticeable difference

In the end a wire is always going to be better

Last edited:
I have compared the Bluetooth sound quality to my hard wired digital music player in the Mazda. It was no contest. Hard wired won out by a significant margin. I used 128 Kbps sampled WMA files, ripped from CD's. I believe this is similar to what you download when purchasing that way. It is supposed to be CD quality. In the car I cannot hear a difference between my Creative Labs MUVOFM2 plugged into the AUX jack and an actual CD. Bluetooth transmission seemed to contain artifacts reminiscent of a radio broadcast (which it is). Overall, I would say, if you are happy with the sound it is good. KISS!

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Apple TV. That is all...

X2 - It is one of the better boxes out there and the integration with your phone, tablet (iOS only), and Mac is nothing short of awesome.

Man, I am all about smooth setup and when a virtual troglodyte like myself can rip open the box and have fantastic audio and video up in no time, then it's even better!

Bip. My wife touches her Ipad and her screen saver slideshow is on the TV. It's slick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back