Blue Devil Flush VS Prestone Flush & Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry BOF but I've never used a flush, even in older vehicles with rust.

I have found that a radiator drain and refill every 2 years keeps things clean. Of course this was with the old green coolant so the interval could be pushed up a year or two easily.

IMO save the cost of the flush. ...

Originally Posted by JLTD
Sorry BOF but I've never used a flush, even in older vehicles with rust.

I have found that a radiator drain and refill every 2 years keeps things clean. Of course this was with the old green coolant so the interval could be pushed up a year or two easily.

IMO save the cost of the flush. ...

Let's keep in mind that the people in this forum are (likely) car enthusiasts and probably doing a lot better job at regular maintenance than most people. So if I say, "I don't see the need for a chemical flush" it's most likely due to me being diligent in following the mfgs maintenance schedule... and while it may not be something I would ascribe to, that doesn't mean my experience is reflective of everyone else's needs.

That said, if I were in need of a chemical flush I wouldn't jump into the deep end of the pool by using the harshest, strongest stuff I could find. I would start with a gentle flush with something like a Prestone F&C or Bars 10min flush and see how that goes.You can always do another flush but you can't undo the results, good bad or otherwise, of a harsh flush. (believe it or not, there are flushes that use sodium hydroxide, albeit in low concentration.. that's something only a radiator shop should use in my opinion)

Last edited:
I can see where the replies are going to keep going, so the MODS should just lock this post.
Thanks to all that answered my original Q? and didn't try to school me on flushing a coolant system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back