Blending 0W-20 & 5W-20 of the same oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I know the answer but started second guessing myself. One vehicle calls for 6q of 5W-20 (typically use M1 or VSP) and the other for 8q of 0W-20. I generally buy 2 jugs of 0W-20 for the one jug of 5W-20 for the other and use the left over 0W-20 to supplement the 5W-20. Ok to blend with the exact same oil 5w-20 for the other vehicle? Not concerned about add pack as they are identical. More concerned about base oils playing nicely together.

You could always run 0w20 for both. But it seems around these forums that people usually agree that as long as you are mixing between the same brand it is okay.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
You could always run 0w20 for both. But it seems around these forums that people usually agree that as long as you are mixing between the same brand it is okay.

Could, but both are under warranty so trying to abide by their requirements until the powertrain expires.

5W-20 in both would also be fine, except in extreme cold (considering that you've implied both are synthetics).

Pick one grade and run both vehicles on it. A dealer would not know the difference if the question came up in a warranty claim. Your vehicles won't know the difference either.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
I've asked Mobil via.email about it. They told.it is fine with their oils.

I asked them as well. They said it could be done, but they didn't recommend doing so. They said you were better off using the same grade oil from the same product line and not mixing. Bottom line, I wouldn't mix them, unless I was low on oil and didn't have the same oil I used for the OCI to top up with.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I'd use 0w20 in both. It would never come up on a warranty claim.

Or use 5w20 in both as it would never come up on a warranty claim either. The dealer could never tell the difference.

Not sure how you can be trying to abide by warranty and putting a brew in one of them.

Put what the manual specs in both of them, or pick a grade that best suits you, and put it in both...putting 20% or 100% 0W20 in the 5W20 vehicle is pretty much identical in warranty compliance.

+this ... M1 AFE 0w20 ... some say more PAO? Proven performance regardless...

The base oils will play nicely together, it's the additive packages that could (very rarely) clash.
If it were me, I would use 0w20 in both for simplicity. You're already buying synthetic 5w20, so it doesn't seem like you're trying to save money.
But you can mix them, but I would do mixing in only one of the vehicles, not both. But you're doing that already.

Last edited:
Next oil change in my Accord is somewhere along the lines of:

.75qts of PP5-20
.75qts of PP5-30
2qts of MC15-40
1qt of Maxlife 10-30

You'll be alright if you choose to blend.

Originally Posted By: asleepz
Next oil change in my Accord is somewhere along the lines of:

.75qts of PP5-20
.75qts of PP5-30
2qts of MC15-40
1qt of Maxlife 10-30

You'll generally be alright if you choose to blend mix .

Fixed it so that your understanding better reflects the reality.

It's not "blending"...that what the guys who put the oil INTO your bottles did...they understand the process, and specifically "blend" the oil...you are mixing, nothing more, nothing less, and have absolutely nothing certain in the outcome, except the new BITOG performance standard of "nothing will blow up" (and that's probably).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back