Bleh, mother’s gas furnace fan burned up

Status
Not open for further replies.
These capacitors are designed to break the circuit in case of overheating which leads to swelling and bulging, if you see that it is bad.

Simple first test is clamp on AC amp meter on one capacitor lead. If no current probably the capacitor is open which is the most common failure (but it could also be open motor, broken wire somewhere, or lack of power to the entire circuit, presumably you have checked those). If current on the order of amps is measured, disconnect capacitor and check it for shorts.

Last edited:
I have made costly decisions when I tried to fix my furnace. And that is all I will say about that...

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Ws6
The HVAC company that inspected my system just told me what to buy off Amazon to replace the capacitor and I did it myself. Can't get any better than that.

Wow, that is RARE! Maybe they were super swamped?

or they knew you would appreciate them helping you out like that?

He spent half his time there talking with me in my lawn, and was not in a hurry doing the work, either. Just a good, helpful person from a reputable company.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted by Ws6
I actually just changed my fan capacitor on my furnace last night. This is something many people neglect out of ignorance. I was ignorant of it until I had a hvac company check my system over a week ago. They suggested I replace the $10 part myself, as a blower motor would not be cheap.

Not to hijack the thread, but, I'm all for doing any repairs myself.
Question: Would a person change the Start Capacitor on Furnace Motor as PM or wait for it to go and have an extra on hand ?

I know there are three tests for a Capacitor using a Multi-Meter
1) Confirm Capacitor is 'not' shorted to housing
2) Storing and releasing its electrical charge
3) Measure capacitance
Also, look for bulging and leaking.

I was told it should be changed as PM once it falls more than 20% out of spec, or if leaking, etc. is visualized. Mine was 30% out of spec, and leaking.

Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If there is a motor shop around, you may be able to bring it in & have them match up a comparable new one (if the bearings are shot & the old one won't turn). Or be prepared to spend $ for OEM. I don't like the idea of an HVAC company unless ABSOLUTELY necessary-those guys are (mostly forced) to be crooks by their companies-your Mom may wind up with a new furnace she doesn't really need.

My son (master HVAC tech) may be the exception.
He is absolutely honest with the service calls he goes on.
Sure he loses a few bucks here and there by not ripping people off but he sleeps well.
And with that said he still makes $75K plus a year.

I worked as an HVAC pipe fitter/welder/ABC Instructor for 28 years. What exactly is a "MASTER HVAC TECH? I have never seen one of them before.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

I worked as an HVAC pipe fitter/welder/ABC Instructor for 28 years. What exactly is a "MASTER HVAC TECH? I have never seen one of them before.
confused2.gif

I too want to know....a "master" at ripping customers off?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by AC1DD

confused2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Similar to working on a fishing boat as a junior at bating hooks moving to the master role

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

confused2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Similar to working on a fishing boat as a junior at bating hooks moving to the master role

Where can I apply as a master baiter?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Rmay635703

confused2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Where can I apply as a master baiter?

Your nearest bathroom.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back